What's new

Simpsons Chubby2 Best or 2 band?

Ok, I'm willing to give simspons another try, ONLY because I am ordering a replacement wee scot, which is IMO one of the greatest on the market. I loved mine for 6 months before it being "borrowed".....anyways, I want another wee, but I want to try a chubby. Here's what I do, any opinions on which model is appreciated.

First off, I 100% face lather and use Arko 99% of the time. I shave 2-3 passes regularly.

Im Split between the 2 band chubby 2 and the chubby 2 in best....I want the 2 band, well, because it's a two band badger, should eat up some soap, right? (retoracle;) The best grade hair, is supposedly one of the greatest face lathering soap brushes out there, its at least a top 3 brush to 99% of people I bet.

So, which should I pick? If anybody has pics of both next to each other that would be cool to see as well.

Thanx

O yeah, I currently use a omega 20106 boar brush right now and love it. Just want a competent badger companion is all.

I think you may find the Chubby 2 rather large. Here's a pic for you to see the size.
proxy.php

You might want to look at the Chubby 1 or the Classic 1 or 2. Myself, I just ordered a Classic 1 in Manchurian, some consider the Classic 1 to be a sort of Chubby 0. I've heard the Classic 1 referred to as the Wee Scot 2 as well.

Some love Best, I can't use it. Very prickly and uncomfortable for me, and clearly inferior to Super. Two band can also be uncomfortable in my experience, but it can also be very soft tipped. If you are in the majority of users who don't notice or like scritch, Best has plenty of backbone.

I'm one of the wierdo's who dont like the skritch in Simpson best, even if its minimal. My Chubby 2 two band is honestly the only Simpson I have left after trying more than 10. I love its fantastic backbone, big, dense knot that is soft but with just a touch of texure at the tips. Its not skritch, but its just not as impossibly soft as my M&F etc. I most love it that its a markedly different shaving experience than the M&F with out loosing comfort or utility. In fact, two band Chubby is one of the best latherers I have for hard soaps, and for glycerin soaps blows just about everything else I own out of the water.

I'm sure you would be happy with the best, but if you can spend the money my face votes two band. If I'm wrong you can always sell it on BST and try the best.

Some love Best, I can't use it. Very prickly and uncomfortable for me, and clearly inferior to Super. Two band can also be uncomfortable in my experience, but it can also be very soft tipped. If you are in the majority of users who don't notice or like scritch, Best has plenty of backbone.

+1 A 3-band Chubby has no problem murdering soaps...my triple milled soaps run & hide when I grab my Chubby.

Arko will lather with any type of brush with the slightest bit of backbone... I suggest a chubby 3 band super .... if you havent considered a berkley, classic, or duke they all are worthy of a look.

I've got a Chubby 1, and it's a wonderful brush. Highly recommended. It's got a much wider and more dense knot than the Wee, which I also have. I prefer the Chubby for all types of lathering: face or bowl, it's just loverly! Mine's got a 23mm knot, and it's more than enough of a brush to handle whatever soap or cream you throw at it.

i would suggest the Chubby 1 in two-band. i find it to be a fantastic face-latherer. The Chubby 2 is too large for me. Unless you are a larger gent, you also may find it a tad large, but YMMV. The Chubby two-bands are fantastic brushes. Good luck.

I'm a big brush lover. Owned and loved a kent 12. Looking for a large, not super large, I'm leaning towards the CH 2 2 bander now

The Chubby 2 best I had was a lather hog. I find 2 bands have better lather flow through.

A chubby 2 2band will not bloom as much as a chubby2 in best either.

I vote 2 band

Ive got a chubby 2 in best. Great brush, but I can confirm that lather flow through could be better. The Best is a very close approximation to the scrubbier boars in terms of backbone, but much softer tips. Definitely at the top for lathering hard soaps.

I just don't get the 'lather hog' problem. Load enough soap and it will come out of the brush. And what's so hard about squeezing out some lather for the last pass?

I just don't get the 'lather hog' problem. Load enough soap and it will come out of the brush. And what's so hard about squeezing out some lather for the last pass?

Same here, I like how dense brushes release lather in a controlled layer rather than throwing extra on your face all at once. I like the thinner gel like layer of lather that lather hogs deposit. Dont get me wrong, I know they use a bit more product per shave, but I am fairly sure I have 4 or 5 years worth of soap and cream. I'm not worried about running out anytime by using a little extra.

I never tried Chubby 2 band because I heard their Chubby 2 bands were not much denser than their other 2 bands. (I had a duke and gros both in 2 band, and neither was anywhere near the density I'd expect from a chubby).

Someday I would like to. Problem is I'm almost certain it'd never compare to my Rooney Finest 1/2... and they'd be similar enough I know I'd end up selling the Simpson. So it'd really just be me spending money to satisfy my curiosity.

Loric is Simpson Best scritch recent? I've still got 4 or 5 Simpson bests here from 1-2 years ago, and I can't detect a hint of scritch in any of them. The only difference I find between best and super for simpson is:

Best > Super backbone
Best feels like many soft hairs Super feels like one single soft surface

I'd call Rooney Finest a brush with scritch.

Last edited:
I never tried Chubby 2 band because I heard their Chubby 2 bands were not much denser than their other 2 bands. (I had a duke and gros both in 2 band, and neither was anywhere near the density I'd expect from a chubby).

Someday I would like to. Problem is I'm almost certain it'd never compare to my Rooney Finest 1/2... and they'd be similar enough I know I'd end up selling the Simpson. So it'd really just be me spending money to satisfy my curiosity.

Loric is Simpson Best scritch recent? I've still got 4 or 5 Simpson bests here from 1-2 years ago, and I can't detect a hint of scritch in any of them. The only difference I find between best and super for simpson is:

Best > Super backbone
Best feels like many soft hairs Super feels like one single soft surface

I'd call Rooney Finest a brush with scritch.

Ironically I got my Simpson Best when you were trying yours and all but my Duke 3 had noticeable skritch even after BST and a break in on my end. Some more than others, but enough that it put me off. As for density my Chubby is differently a big step up from my other Simpson two bands, but a as big a step down from my Finest. In my head I liked my 3/2 Finest more than my Chubby 2 two band, but I cant lie, my Chubby 2 two band got 3 or 4 times the use. I even hated the shape of my chubby when I got it, it was much to sharp when new. Now that its broken in, in practice it has the perfect density, textured tips, flow threw, and lathering for me. Though I often chose it over the Finest because it was bigger if that makes a difference.

Ok clicking reply to thread deleting everything in this quick reply box is getting old.

Do you ever think the Chubby 2band could be denser? Because I remember back then the ONLY reason I didn't buy one was that I was worried it wouldn't be dense enough. When I say I found Simpson 2band to be like TGN finest, that's not a bad thing. I think TGN finest is amazing. I can't even say that M&F 2 band (which I believe was rumored to be Rooney Finest hair packed much, much less dense) is better, only different (a bit more backbone and a bit less soft at tips). If TGN had ever convinced their supplier to stuff a Finest knot as dense as a Rooney finest back when I was restoring brushes, I would have never bought another brush, my entire collection would have been a Chub 1 best (knot in a custom handle), Rooney Finest, and however many of that knot I had handles for.

The Chubby could be denser, in that I'v used denser brushes. However, it lathers better than they did. I still dont have an M&F thats as dense as my Rooney Finest, but I have one thats about as dense as the Chubby. Its only my gut feeling, but I think the M&f hair is the same as Finest but leached somehow to make it softer. True or not I have no idea, but its what my gut says. I also really like TGN finest, but my Chubby is denser than any TGN Finest I tired though that was only 2 of them.

Top Bottom