What's new

Simpson's Chubby 2

Compared to today's many artisan / custom brush makers, for the price is the Chubby 2 still a rock solid performer? I'm looking at purchasing my first high-end brush/knot and would love your opinions.

Which Chubby 2? I wasn't too crazy about my CH2 Super, but I like my CH2 Manchurian and Synthetics.

I was looking at the CH2 Best @pork. The reviews on amazon are mixed, either amazing or terrible with users complaining about 10-15 hairs falling out per shave.

I’ve not had my CH2 best in a couple years but I’ve ordered brushes directly from Simpson within the past year and there are no shedding issues to report. I know there were issues in the past but I haven’t heard anything about this more recently. I say if you wanna give a CH2 best a shot then you should go for it, the CH2 best was also my first splurge into the world of premium brushes and I did not regret it.

I've got the Chubby 2 in super and Chubby 3 in best. They rarely get used. I can't complain about the quality. Actually I can't recall that either of them (or my other two Simpson brushes) ever have shed hairs. What I find very disturbing is that the Chubby brushes are the worst lather hogs I own and I have a lot of brushes. For the same amount of money you can get an excellent Shavemac brush with far better flow through.

I'm definitely intrigued by Shavemac, especially their new synthetic line coming out. I think I'm going to hold off on the Simpson for now.

My Chubby II in best is one of the best bushes I have. It has had no shedding issues. Someday I will get one in Super.

I'm definitely intrigued by Shavemac, especially their new synthetic line coming out. I think I'm going to hold off on the Simpson for now.

My Chubby 2 Super was pretty nice. The knot was constructed pretty well. I sold that brush when I bought a Shavemac D01 3 band knot (and set it in a handle). The D01 3 band was similar to the CH2 Super, but probably even more dense. The most striking difference was that the Shavemac knot's construction was impeccable. IMO, it was more carefully made than the knot on my old Simpson brush.

6BB93496-FBFA-4838-9AD4-296BD62ABAB4.jpeg

The Chubby 2 in Best is my favorite brush and at this point I’ve owned about 60+ brushes, including many Shavemacs. It depends on what you ultimately want from a brush. Simspons is a top tier brush maker in my opinion. Shavemac is as well, so if you wanted to go that direction, then that would be a solid choice. There have been periods where people have had issues with shedding. Over the years I’ve owned 14 Simpsons brushes and have not had a shedder. Bascially, it depends. Think of it like this.

It’s a business, and the knots are hand tied by people. There are probably a lot of variables that can affect quality control — skill of the person tying the knot, volume of brushes being sold, management overseeing production, etc. In this regard, there are two factors in your favor. One, there is a lot of competition right now and as far as I can tell by cursory investigation the catalog of Simpsons brushes being sold by shaving vendors is less. Two, it is Simpsons 100 year anniversary right now, so it’s a great time for them to get noticed and indeed they are putting out special edition brushes and trying to capitalize on the moment. Both of these factors probably mean that they are trying to be on point with quality control for their brushes. Beyond that, buy from a vendor like West Coast Shaving that has excellent customer service when things go wrong, like a shedding brush.

Now for the shave. The reason I love the Chubby 2 in Best is that it is a luxurious, scrubby wall of badger. I am exclusively a face latherer, and the short, thick handle fits perfectly in my hand. I love the texture of Simpsons Best hair — not too scritchy, not too soft. Just right. Regarding that it is a lather hog... Yes! It’s a 27-28 mm very dense knot! What do you expect? It will eat your soap puck up, but man, is it worth it. If by lather hog, people are meaning that it doesn’t produce lather, then sorry, but those people just don’t know how to use a big, dense knot (which is like many other shaving things an acquired skill, so no harm, no foul) because I can make mounds of lather with any Chubby 2 in Best (see pic).

So in answer to your question, the Chubby 2 absolutely can hold its own and for many like me, it’s the King.

I'm going to go for it, thanks to everyone who shared their insight/feedback, much appreciated!

The CH2 is a bit large for my tastes.

However, the CH1 in best is a favorite here!! That one will always be in my rotation!! :a29:

I have the Chubby 3 badger and find it not too big! It took a few shaves to lather as you'd expect, but the feel of it face lathering is very wonderful. A luxurious shave every day!

9264D8D5-4AEE-49D3-A0AD-D901D1C422F0.jpeg
I don’t have many brushes but Simpson Chubby 2 Best is a great brush. Yes, you may need to use more product but using right technique with rehydrating after the loading (search the posts) it does release tons of lather.

To the OG poster, congratulations! I’d say to give it 6-8 shaves to let it break in properly. Badger doesn’t have any kind of break in period like boar, but the knots can take a handful or more shaves to fully bloom and perform. The Chubby 2 falls into the “bit more” side given its density. Also, all Simpsons brushs take 2-3 lathers to get out the badger smell. If you mind the smell, then do your first few lathers as palm lathers. Hope you enjoy your shaves with The King. ;)

Thanks @Journeyman the brush was delivered yesterday. Unfortunately it will have to wait until April before I can use it due to the March Madness event going on.

I may do a few palm lathers to get it ready to rock n roll based on your advise.

I was disappointed with my chubby 3 badger when I got it, but after a month it suddenly became outstanding to use, Great lather, and face feel , a treat for face latherers. I have never found it to use loads of soap , enough for 3 or 4 passes.

Top Bottom