What's new

Simpsons Chubby 2 in Best and Super

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I am sorry if there are already threads concerning this question, but I will bring it up again.
I have had a few Chubbies in Best, and I like these brushes a lot, but somehow never got to trying the Super. Is it worth the extra cost? Can you really feel the difference? What does Super bring that Best lacks?

In my opinion, they are different enough from each other to justify owning both, if you can afford them

Honestly, I prefer my Chubby 2 in Best over my Chubby 2 in Super. The Best Badger knot has more presence and gives a better scrub / massage when face lathering.

However, I also own Chubby 1 in Best and Super badgers. In this case, I would have to vote for the Super Badger. Probably my all-around favorite brush

In general I would say that Super knots are softer, slightly denser, bloom more and feel more luxurious, while Best badger gives a better massage and delivers more on the "wall of badger" aspect. I always say that it is hard to beat the feeling of face lathering with a warm CH2 in Best

My $0.02

My experience is that there is a good deal of variability in Simpson’s best grade. My favorite specimens overlap their super while other specimens are closer to pure. For example, I have a Chubby 1 in best with hair that is quite similar to my beloved Tulip 2 in super (allowing for a bit of difference in loft).

1) Super will be the softest finest silvertip grade badger hair Simpsons sourced in a particular year. Depending on the harvest there may be significant difference between Best and Super, or very little. Some year Super will feel not that better than typical scrubby Best. The next year the Best grade may get uber soft and the Super spectacular. You get what you get.

2) There's also probably a difference in % of black badger hair mixed in in batches.

If you're chasing softness and don't mind flop, super grade may be a good choice, however there's always luck of the draw what you're getting with hand crafted, untreated natural hair shaving brush.

If you order directly from Simpson you can specify a characteristic you want and a brush will be hand picked from the current stock for a small fee.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have only experience with the old two-band super hair which was very good and consistent. The best grade can be hit and miss, sometimes they are just great, other times they are not good at all - too much variation. I have had only one of the three band super in a CH3, but it was too big for me, and I sold it. It was quite nice and soft, but a lather hog.

It varies, depending on the batch but in general, super has softer tips and is usually a more premium feeling brush.

I think I read somewhere that best uses a mix of pure and silvertip hair, but that might or might not be true...

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My experience is that there is a good deal of variability in Simpson’s best grade. My favorite specimens overlap their super while other specimens are closer to pure. For example, I have a Chubby 1 in best with hair that is quite similar to my beloved Tulip 2 in super (allowing for a bit of difference in loft).

Wise words coming from a wise wet shaver. As a general rule always consider the Super as a much more selected grade of hair, with whiter tips and a silky soft feel.

Ok here's the thing with Simpson...call it "batch variance" or "lack of quality control" but I've had too much variance with their best grade.

I had a few that were literally like pure badger, very prickly and scritchy.
Then I had others that were phenomenal and probably the most awesome badger knot ever, with its fantastic scrub and presence without the scritch.

My advise to anyone after a Simpson is to choose from actual stock photos at thesuperiorshave.
They put photos of their accrual brush stock.

I got my Commodore X2 Best from them and it remains my favorite badger brush. The knot is just perfection! It's not the most plush or luxurious but it's so unique and definitely the most fun to use!

Maybe a photo speaks more than a thousand words, so there you go:

In my personal preference order from left to right
55D5E0E6-CDC2-47AA-B765-97E02415E801.jpeg

I must be a lucky one I bought the chubby 2 in best badger, but now this feels more like the super very soft on the face and very dense...

This picture is straight out of the box

20190327_130122.jpg

And this is the same brush now bloomed

20190706_101454.jpg

If you consider their 2 band, I offer this as my best performing Chubby 2. Very soft, good flow through and backbone; very luxurious. There's 1 on the Simpson site currently. I focused on the hair rather than the logo. Worth the cost in my opinion. Enjoy! :)

IMG_0350.jpg

If you consider their 2 band, I offer this as my best performing Chubby 2. Very soft, good flow through and backbone; very luxurious. There's 1 on the Simpson site currently. I focused on the hair rather than the logo. Worth the cost in my opinion. Enjoy! :)

View attachment 1031854

I agree the 2 band is spectacular. Lathers better than the super in my opinion. A little less soft than super, but softer than Manchurian so more than good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom