What's new

Simpsons Chubby 2 (Badger) vs Simpsons Trafalgar T3?

For those that own these two brushes, what is your opinion of the Simpsons Chubby 2 badger brush vs the Simpsons Trafalgar T3?

I do own the Simpsons Colonel X2L in best badger, the Simpsons Special in best badger as well as several Whipped Dog Silvertip brushes with from 22 to 30 mm knots. My current favorite is a Whipped Dog Silvertip. I face lather but tend to prefer floppy brushes. I really don't need any new brushes but still feel the itch for some further brush acquisition.

Thanks.

For those that own these two brushes, what is your opinion of the Simpsons Chubby 2 badger brush vs the Simpsons Trafalgar T3?

I do own the Simpsons Colonel X2L in best badger, the Simpsons Special in best badger as well as several Whipped Dog Silvertip brushes with from 22 to 30 mm knots. My current favorite is a Whipped Dog Silvertip. I face lather but tend to prefer floppy brushes. I really don't need any new brushes but still feel the itch for some further brush acquisition.

Thanks.
You need a Rubberset 400.
Pic for attention lol.

Attachments

• 20220305_170711.jpg
    20220305_170711.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 100
I don't like their Trafalger knots. They are way too stiff and don't like the feeling of nylon fibers on my face. Really can't compare any badger to the trafalgar brush. You're talking onions and apples.

I don't like their Trafalger knots. They are way too stiff and don't like the feeling of nylon fibers on my face. Really can't compare any badger to the trafalgar brush. You're talking onions and apples.
They say if you punch your nose you can't tell the difference between apples and onions you know... I'm not going to try it lol.
I've given away every synthetic I've tried. Not a fan.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think Simpson does a great job with loft and density on badger, but not so much with synths. I've had the Chubby synth and T2 are very hard to splay and want to come out of splay quickly. You need to start the splay with your chin. I have not used the Chubby in badger, but if you want a synth I think I'd avoid the Trafalgar line and at least the Chubby synth. Perhaps the Duke splays better.

When I say splay, I don't so much mean like the gents that smash the knot flat to so the the handle or glue bump is doing all the work. By splay I mean opening up a little and letting the fibers move naturally.

Muhle STF are much nicer IMO. If interested in Badger, Simpson has some good ones and they I don't think they gel them, at least the one I own is not and to me that is a plus.

I face lather but tend to prefer floppy brushes
In this case, steer clear of both the Chubby and the Trafalgar. They both are the opposite of floppy.

I don’t think you will find a Simpson’s that matches what you like in your Whipped Dog Silvertips. Most if not all Simpson’s are denser and placed deep in the handle to give more backbone to the brush

My recommendation would be a Shavemac Silvertip, a Thater, or if you have the means, the Plisson HMW or European White are both very nice brushes

Getting used? Or in a holding pattern? I recently liberated mine for a few days away on travel. It’s ok, I’m just not drawn to it.
It found itself relegated to AA. It gets rarely used.

TBH I’m not drawn to my synths in general, nylon just doesn’t feel right to me.

I got the T2 for travel to humid climates; I guess the T3 will be go to for boring through soaps.

The Stainless HW are in prime rotation for when not in restrictive challenges.

In this case, steer clear of both the Chubby and the Trafalgar. They both are the opposite of floppy.

I don’t think you will find a Simpson’s that matches what you like in your Whipped Dog Silvertips. Most if not all Simpson’s are denser and placed deep in the handle to give more backbone to the brush

My recommendation would be a Shavemac Silvertip, a Thater, or if you have the means, the Plisson HMW or European White are both very nice brushes

+1! This ^ For someone like me, who prefers scrubby brushes with backbone, the Chubby is a great brush. But it is anything but floppy.

I suggest you consider some of Simpsons more statuesque options.

Top Bottom