What's new

Simpsons brush specs

why does every vendor have different specs for the same brush model and why do they all differ from what Simpsons posts on their own website? To my knowledge most are not measuring individual brushes (hell SS doesn't even do that anymore). Makes shopping very difficult on top of Simpsons already notorious variability.

Yeah, I call it the Simpson lottery!

I personally would never buy a Simpson anywhere but from TSS since they display actual stock photos.

My Commodore X2 in Best is still one of my all time favorite brushes so I'm definitely grateful for TSS displaying actual stock photos.

I chose the piece that had the lightest tips of all the Commodore stock and it's just wonderful because I got the unique feel of the Best grade but without the scritch I've had from so many Simpson Best brushes!

I compiled the dimensions and prices from Simpson's website a while ago (nominal specs). Bubble sizes refer to weight in grams

I hope it helps

1576057777599.png

1576057762584.png

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
In my experience Simpson brushes can vary slightly in their dimensions, they would say no doubt as they are a hand made product. Sadly, these days they also vary greatly in the quality of their knots, especially the best knots. If you get a good one then they are great, especially their Manchurian offerings, but their best brushes these days can feel anywhere from pure to super grade. Together with the fact that there appear to be simply too many shedders, and the QA seemingly not being what it was, then unless I could select and test my own brush then a Simpson brush is a gamble I am no longer willing to take. In my opinion the brand is being damaged which is a real shame. I know a lot of people love Simpson, as I once did, but that is how I see things as a once long term loyal Simpson customer.

Variability is part of Simpsons charm! Each brush is hand-made, plus there are variations in the hair.

I have not seen an American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Technical Standard for the scientific measurement of shaving brush knots published to date. However, I have noticed that Simpson is consistently "conservative" in the specs they present on their website, whereas the "actual" measurements as referenced on vendors' inventory always exceed the Simpson's numbers. Thus even with some variability, you always tend to come out a winner!

I have encountered the same issue that you have as I’ve been looking to try a Simpson too. I am guessing the different vendors probably don’t believe Simpson’s specs are accurate (or highly variable) based on what they’ve seen so provide their own specs based on their sample experience. I can say this, 2 badgers with 22mm vs 24mm knots are completely different brushes!

Ultimately, of all the shave hardware IME, brushes are much like guitars and shoes. You just have to go try a few in person because 2 might have identical specs but can be two very different brushes (or guitars/shoes).

enjoy each of my simpsons!
each has a bit of its own personality.
indeed, prices vary.
hard to justify.
but easy to enjoy.
these are just the ivory brushes in the den.

simpson ivory brushes.jpg

a little bit of variability is fine but when you can't see items in person and you don't know if an E1 is going to end up being the size of an E3 or you have to take a wild guess on a fifty series, it can be a pain in the butt.

Rudy Vey can replicate just about any Simpson handle available. Drop a Shavemac knot in it...no worries. Made to YOUR specifications. And I have yet to see shedding issues with any of my Shavemac knots.

a little bit of variability is fine but when you can't see items in person and you don't know if an E1 is going to end up being the size of an E3 or you have to take a wild guess on a fifty series, it can be a pain in the butt.

In my opinion, this is an exaggeration. Actual dimensions will ALWAYS have slightly larger knot size than nominal specs (hey that's good, no? getting more hair than what you paid for) and loft can indeed vary by a couple of mms. If you write a note to Simpsons specifying the loft you want I am sure they will take care of you.

Or, as others pointed out, choose another brand if you want precise specs.

what are the actual dimensions on your E2 and KH2?

the emperor 2 handle is 60mm high, loft is 45mm. neck approx 21mm dia.
the keyhole 2 handle is 53mm; same loft and neck as the emperor 2.
here's the lineup...

simpson brushes 2019.jpg

ps...only notorious characteristic of simpsons, in my experience, has been their consistently good hair quality!

In my opinion, this is an exaggeration. Actual dimensions will ALWAYS have slightly larger knot size than nominal specs (hey that's good, no? getting more hair than what you paid for) and loft can indeed vary by a couple of mms. If you write a note to Simpsons specifying the loft you want I am sure they will take care of you.

Or, as others pointed out, choose another brand if you want precise specs.

not trying to hate on the brand. I enjoy my simpsons a lot. Just saying that with some of the series specs so close together, and variability often being more than a couple mm, as can be seen with @sarimento1's E2, it can be difficult to know whether to size up or down.

Variability is part of Simpsons charm! Each brush is hand-made, plus there are variations in the hair.

To be fair, almost every badger knot is handmade unless it's pure grade. There is simply too much loss of hair in an automated production.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Can anyone help me with this.
I never have seen a CH2 in person and someone wanted me to make a similar handle.
The shape is not a problem but I really want to get the size correct. Please excuse the rough drawing :)
IMG_20191212_160952.jpg

Top Bottom