What's new

Simpsons Brush Hierarchy?

Good choice, dduck. Hang on to the Special. Out of more than a dozen brushes I've sold or PIF'd, a Special is one of only two I miss occasionally. The other was a Simpson 56. Both were PIF'd to guys who appreciate them so no regrets. I've had 8 Simpsons, all in Best and all fine brushes, but my taste in brushes changed along the way. Six have been sold or PIF'd and the remaining two are stored in the basement box with a few others. Thaters and (older) Rooneys rule the roust, for now anyway.

Excellent question! My current collection includes a Duke 2, 57, 56, classic 2 and chubby 1 and I prefer best for face lathering.

A Special in pure may look like a bargain compared to a Chubby 1 in Manchurian. The Special would not be a bargain for me because I could not use it!

Just curious, why would you be unable to use a Simpsons Special brush?

The issue is NOT the Simpsons special. The problem is that their PURE grade of badger is simply TOO SCRITCHY for me. Some do like this.

Bottom line is that a Special would likely be just fine for me so long as the grade of hair was Simpsons best badger! YMMV!

I have a duke 3 in best and it s a great performer for both soap and creams.

I don't get that distinction people make with soap brush and cream brush.

I have had it for a year and it had only shed about a dozen hair unlike my bk-4 who got exchanged and the replacement shed as well ...

I am eye the colonel or a berkeley

The issue is NOT the Simpsons special. The problem is that their PURE grade of badger is simply TOO SCRITCHY for me. Some do like this.

Bottom line is that a Special would likely be just fine for me so long as the grade of hair was Simpsons best badger! YMMV!

Actually my Simpsons Special is in best badger.

I know this has been covered before, but what do people think of Simpsons' best badger vs super badger grades?

I grew up with Somerset Simpsons inherited from my father and their older Best grade hair is actually my favorite. That was and still is great hair. The Catalin handles worked into a wonderful patina before the modern plastics came along.

Today things are different. As you are new to Simpsons I would be careful if you want a shaving brush which works as a tool or one to use in SOTD pictures or on Instagram. The Chubby and Duke are great handles. Simpsons were always ivory handles for the most part back at Nimmer Mill in Somerset. I still think they look great.

One other factor to take into account is price. You might want to take a look at Shavemac 2-Bands, Thater, Palladin and even The Varlet. A little homework will serve you well! All are wonderful brushes and reasonably priced. Present day Simpsons, IMO, are grossly overpriced for the product one receives. I can't believe what they charge for this Manchurian hair, which is nice, but the markup is quite distasteful.

Simpsons claims to be the "manufacturer of the finest shaving brushes." It's a nice phrase indeed but that's just not the case anymore in 2016.

Top Bottom