What's new

Simpsons Brush Handle Ink

The ink on my Simpsons handles seems to be water soluble in that I have a couple that have only been used 2-3 times each and the ink where it is engraved is smearing and fading. This might be normal for the handle, but I don't think it's happening with all of my Simpsons brushes (yet).

When I soak my brush before use I do it for about 15 minutes in a scuttle with the water up to the handle. It's possible it touches the ink.

Do most Simpsons handles end up without ink in this area? The stickers are still on....

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
For years I have immersed my brushes completely under water, handle, knot and everything although only for a few seconds as I do not believe soaking a badger brush for any longer is necessary or beneficial. I have never had Simpson ink run or smudge at all, not one bit. The labels were unstable, some say by design, and many owners applied a thin coating of clear nail varnish to preserve them. In my experience, modern Simpson labels are more permanent than in previous years.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've had the paint come out of the deep engraved area before. Is it the newer logo? Any pics would help us understand.

But no big deal, just put some back in if you feel like it, I used lampblack myself.

Gosh, there's no need to soak like that, though ... 15 minutes? Wow.

I've had the paint come out of the deep engraved area before. Is it the newer logo? Any pics would help us understand.

But no big deal, just put some back in if you feel like it, I used lampblack myself.

Gosh, there's no need to soak like that, though ... 15 minutes? Wow.

Good to know about the handle. I know I'm an oversoaker - now it's a habit and I'm worried that if the hair isn't wet enough it will break. I basically let it soak while I'm in the shower. Fifteen minutes if I'm lucky.

I sometimes soak my brushes for an hour. I get distracted before my shower, hop on a last minute work call, have the odd long bath, etc. Never had an issue.

Most of my brushes are Simpsons and the ink has never bled or faded.

For years I have immersed my brushes completely under water, handle, knot and everything although only for a few seconds as I do not believe soaking a badger brush for any longer is necessary or beneficial. I have never had Simpson ink run or smudge at all, not one bit. The labels were unstable, some say by design, and many owners applied a thin coating of clear nail varnish to preserve them. In my experience, modern Simpson labels are more permanent than in previous years.

I guess I won't mess with success because I'm happy with the knots.

My Emperor silvertip is a mess and will eventually, I assume, go incognito. I don't plan to do anything about it. The label seems well attached tho'.

IMG_0497.jpeg

Am I the only one that wonders why the Simpson sticker has to stay on the brush to the bitter end? It came off this brush and looks better for it but for whatever reason just can't remove the others. They have to slough off on their own.

OP: The black lettered 'EAGLE' on the reverse of this brush is starting to come off.

full

Top Bottom