What's new

Simpson's Advice

Please direct me to the appropriate thread if this has been covered already. I have been unable to find much on the relative merits of Simpson's 55/56 vs. the 46 (Berkeley).

I face-lather soaps almost 100%. I have medium-sized hands (7 1/2 glove).

Currently I have the following Simpson's brushes (all in Best): Duke 2 (absolute favorite), 57 (terrific), Classic 2 (a bit too squat and so dense that my face cannot tolerate more than once/week), and Special (simply not dense enough with a bit of an uneven bulb). I am considering selling the latter two brushes as I do not use them much.

I am currently considering buying ONE of the brushes above (ONE as I promised LOTH, only ONE). Should I also consider another brush? Appreciate some advice from the gurus on this forum. Thanks in advance. :biggrin1::biggrin1:

(And I know someone will say, "You really should buy all three." That is cheating.)

The biggest difference between the Berkeley and Fifties is the handle. They have a comparable circumference, but the Fifties are taller. The knot diameters between the Berkeley and 55 are comparable, with the 55 having a bit higher loft (and better flow through, IMHO). The 56 has a bigger knot with a higher loft than the Berkeley. If you found the Classic 2 too squat you may feel the same about the Berkeley. All three are nice and scrubby, great face latherers. I hope this helps.

I see only one real solution to this conundrum...

Let me know what you think of each brush one you lathered with them.. :)

I'm not doing this to throw business Jarrod's way, as much as I like his site, but just LOOK at the knots on these 56s (specifically, the one in the middle, which is the one I'd snap up). That has face latherer written all over it.

$56_0829_1.jpg

Several years back I had a 56 & 46, along with Rover, Duke 2, Duke 1, Colonel, Special & Wee Scot. 2 remain but don't see much use as Thaters and Rooneys rule the roost. Assuming the Simpson knots and specs are the same as today's brushes, the 46 was the better face-lathering brush. Mine had great backbone, but also had scritch which is why it was eventually sold. The 56 had a taller handle, softer with more splay than the 46 but less splay than the Special.

As to their fate:
Berkeley 46 - Sold when I moved to larger brushes with less scritch.
56 - gave to brother-in-law. He loves it, but only uses creams. I still kinda miss this brush.
Rover - kept because of the handle but would like to have reknotted with a Shavemac Silvertip.
Duke 2 - sold as the knot was too similar to the Rover and I liked the Rover handle better.
Duke 1 - still have. A good travel and mug brush but I prefer my Rooney 1/1 in this size.
Colonel - better for bowl lathering. Gave to my son-in-law.
Special - PIF'd to a member in Norway.
Wee Scot - Sold. Too small. Duke 1 is the smallest I want to go.

Appreciate the advice. Especially as you have used these brushes. Let me think things over prior to pulling the trigger.

Keep you posted!:biggrin1::biggrin1:

I see only one real solution to this conundrum...

Let me know what you think of each brush one you lathered with them.. :)

BAD BOY! This is what I did not need to hear. LOTH thinks this forum is a bunch of louts! :a22::a22:

LOTH thinks this forum is a bunch of louts! :a22::a22:

She's not wrong. Well, I can't speak for anyone else. :wink:

I'll make one final plug for the Fifty series. I've owned a Berkeley and a few brushes in the Fifty series (55, 57, and 58, the last of which I kept). My belief is that not all Simpson Best brushes are created equal. I think brushes like the Fifties, Dukes, PJs, Tulips, etc., on average, tend to be filled with a slightly finer grade of Best than their more inexpensive counterparts (Colonel, Special, Case, Berkeley), even when you take knot size into account. Granted, my Berkeley's knot was every bit as nice as the knot on my 57. If I were buying sight unseen, however, I would go for the 56 every time.

Good luck with your choice!

I used a Berkeley for years, and now I use an old 55. You won't notice much difference between the knots and handles in my opinion. Just go for the handle you prefer. Good choices to narrow down from though.

Appreciate all the sage advice.

Based on the above (and the fact that I really like the handle on my 57), I am currently leaning towards the fifty series.

So next question is, "What are the relative merits of the 55 vs. 56?" Thanks.

(Also recognize, that I will likely end up with at least one other brush-just not with next order!) :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Looks like the 56 is next on the agenda! (Unfortunately, this may not be the last).

Top Bottom