What's new

Simpson TULIP Super (Silver Tip) Badger?

Anybody use a Simpson TULIP brush? They are commercially offered in super (silver tip) badger. I have a Simpson 56 best badger that I absolutely adore and I suppose I just favor these "lesser known" or less popluar series - no chubby for me! Does anyone have a TULIP 1, 2 or 3 and can shed some light on these peculiar yet tantalizingly alluring brushes? I'm about to pick up a TULIP 1, as I favor smaller brushes for precise and controlled face lathering.
Cheers!

I have a Tulip 2 in two-band super that is about 12 years old. It's probably my favorite badger brush. It was VERY scrubby for a year (which I loved) and relaxed a good bit over the years. No problem with shedding, but I have dropped it several times and cracked the handle. Still it soldiers on.

It's a fantastic brush. Near perfect handle shape/size and a terrific knot.

Here's a picture of my Tulip 2 to give you an idea of the size.

L-R
Zenith B28
Tulip 2 two-band Super
Semogue Owner's Club
Shavemac custom D01

As you can see, the T2 is not a large brush. I wouldn't want to go any smaller. That knot though... It's perfect.
proxy.php

I have a tulip 2. It is one of my favorite brushes. It and my chubby 1 in super are my most indispensable simpsons. Their knots are pretty similar actually.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tulip is essentially The Harvard with a lather guard for your fingers (that top convex rim). Captain 2 is an M7 without the lather guard.

Last edited:
If you are comfortable with the 56 handle size, then the T2 would be the obvious choice

I had one in super two band, but I couldn’t enjoy the extreme bulb knot so I sold it. Now I have a chubby 1 in Super and it is probably my favorite brush, so I suppose the T2 will be similar

If you are comfortable with the 56 handle size, then the T2 would be the obvious choice

I had one in super two band, but I couldn’t enjoy the extreme bulb knot so I sold it. Now I have a chubby 1 in Super and it is probably my favorite brush, so I suppose the T2 will be similar
Similar, the tulip 1 in three band super might be my fave brush. The three band super tend to be a classic Simpson's fan/bulb hybrid, tending towards fan. The super looks SLIGHTLY lighter coloured and higher end than the best, but feels quite a bit nicer imo. Perfect brush.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Love my T3 Manchurian, used to have a two-band Super T2, but sold it years ago, and still miss it.
Simpson in Super and manchurian are great brushes.

Love my T3 Manchurian, used to have a two-band Super T2, but sold it years ago, and still miss it.
Simpson in Super and manchurian are great brushes.
i just reeceived my first simpson in super (chubby 2). it's remarkably different from my other, cheaper badgers. it has quickly/instantly become my favorite brush and i look at my synthetics now in a different light (as well as my other two badger brushes). next level stuff. i believe you know a thing or two about brushes :cool: how do you compare the super to shavemac two-band silvertip which i'm aware you also dig so much? i've got some friends who insist i MUST try a higher end two-band.

and hello from central jersey...

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
i just reeceived my first simpson in super (chubby 2). it's remarkably different from my other, cheaper badgers. it has quickly/instantly become my favorite brush and i look at my synthetics now in a different light (as well as my other two badger brushes). next level stuff. i believe you know a thing or two about brushes :cool: how do you compare the super to shavemac two-band silvertip which i'm aware you also dig so much? i've got some friends who insist i MUST try a higher end two-band.

and hello from central jersey...
The old two-band super I would compare with the Shavemac two-band silvertip. I have not much, if any, experience with the three band super, so I am not able to compare, but would say they maybe in the same group as Shavemac's three band D01 (dense knots). The Manchurian two-band is somewhere between the two-band silvertip and the two-band D01, but not as stiff as the D01.
I favor Shavemac Finest grade over Simpson Best, it is much more consistent, and "Best" is often hit and miss....

I just got a Tulip 3 in Super a few weeks ago. I love it, kind of like a slightly less dense version of the Chubby. I also have a Persian Jar and I think it’s better for face lathering than the jar. Also, the knot is just more luxurious—it’s the most luxurious one of all Simpson’s I have (too many, including M7, Harvard, Duke, et al), slightly less dense and a little more floppy than the Chubby makes it feel decadent.

I also have a Tulip 4, and it’s a monster. It’s a fire up the scuttle and take an hour shaving on Saturday sort of brush.

I do love Simpsons:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom