What's new

Simpson TULIP Super (Silver Tip) Badger?

Anybody use a Simpson TULIP brush? They are commercially offered in super (silver tip) badger. I have a Simpson 56 best badger that I absolutely adore and I suppose I just favor these "lesser known" or less popluar series - no chubby for me! Does anyone have a TULIP 1, 2 or 3 and can shed some light on these peculiar yet tantalizingly alluring brushes? I'm about to pick up a TULIP 1, as I favor smaller brushes for precise and controlled face lathering.
Cheers!

I have a Tulip 2 in two-band super that is about 12 years old. It's probably my favorite badger brush. It was VERY scrubby for a year (which I loved) and relaxed a good bit over the years. No problem with shedding, but I have dropped it several times and cracked the handle. Still it soldiers on.

It's a fantastic brush. Near perfect handle shape/size and a terrific knot.

Here's a picture of my Tulip 2 to give you an idea of the size.

L-R
Zenith B28
Tulip 2 two-band Super
Semogue Owner's Club
Shavemac custom D01

As you can see, the T2 is not a large brush. I wouldn't want to go any smaller. That knot though... It's perfect.

I have a tulip 2. It is one of my favorite brushes. It and my chubby 1 in super are my most indispensable simpsons. Their knots are pretty similar actually.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

naughtilus

Contributor
Tulip is essentially The Harvard with a lather guard for your fingers (that top convex rim). Captain 2 is an M7 without the lather guard.

Last edited:
If you are comfortable with the 56 handle size, then the T2 would be the obvious choice

I had one in super two band, but I couldn’t enjoy the extreme bulb knot so I sold it. Now I have a chubby 1 in Super and it is probably my favorite brush, so I suppose the T2 will be similar

If you are comfortable with the 56 handle size, then the T2 would be the obvious choice

I had one in super two band, but I couldn’t enjoy the extreme bulb knot so I sold it. Now I have a chubby 1 in Super and it is probably my favorite brush, so I suppose the T2 will be similar
Similar, the tulip 1 in three band super might be my fave brush. The three band super tend to be a classic Simpson's fan/bulb hybrid, tending towards fan. The super looks SLIGHTLY lighter coloured and higher end than the best, but feels quite a bit nicer imo. Perfect brush.

sarimento1

Contributor
love my smallish Simpson Tulip T1! Great brush! Excellent for travel and the gym! Wonderful everyday workhouse!!

taylor of old bond st aloe vera simpson feather truefitt and hill freshman september 27 2019.jpg

Rudy Vey

Contributor
Vendor
Love my T3 Manchurian, used to have a two-band Super T2, but sold it years ago, and still miss it.
Simpson in Super and manchurian are great brushes.

Love my T3 Manchurian, used to have a two-band Super T2, but sold it years ago, and still miss it.
Simpson in Super and manchurian are great brushes.
i just reeceived my first simpson in super (chubby 2). it's remarkably different from my other, cheaper badgers. it has quickly/instantly become my favorite brush and i look at my synthetics now in a different light (as well as my other two badger brushes). next level stuff. i believe you know a thing or two about brushes :cool: how do you compare the super to shavemac two-band silvertip which i'm aware you also dig so much? i've got some friends who insist i MUST try a higher end two-band.

and hello from central jersey...

Rudy Vey

Contributor
Vendor
i just reeceived my first simpson in super (chubby 2). it's remarkably different from my other, cheaper badgers. it has quickly/instantly become my favorite brush and i look at my synthetics now in a different light (as well as my other two badger brushes). next level stuff. i believe you know a thing or two about brushes :cool: how do you compare the super to shavemac two-band silvertip which i'm aware you also dig so much? i've got some friends who insist i MUST try a higher end two-band.

and hello from central jersey...
The old two-band super I would compare with the Shavemac two-band silvertip. I have not much, if any, experience with the three band super, so I am not able to compare, but would say they maybe in the same group as Shavemac's three band D01 (dense knots). The Manchurian two-band is somewhere between the two-band silvertip and the two-band D01, but not as stiff as the D01.
I favor Shavemac Finest grade over Simpson Best, it is much more consistent, and "Best" is often hit and miss....

I just got a Tulip 3 in Super a few weeks ago. I love it, kind of like a slightly less dense version of the Chubby. I also have a Persian Jar and I think it’s better for face lathering than the jar. Also, the knot is just more luxurious—it’s the most luxurious one of all Simpson’s I have (too many, including M7, Harvard, Duke, et al), slightly less dense and a little more floppy than the Chubby makes it feel decadent.

I also have a Tulip 4, and it’s a monster. It’s a fire up the scuttle and take an hour shaving on Saturday sort of brush.

I do love Simpsons:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk