What's new

Simpson Tulip 3 vs Simpson M7

Simpson Tulip 3 vs Simpson M7

• Simpson Tulip 3

• Simpson M7

• Simpson Emperor 3

Results are only viewable after voting.
I had been set on buying an Emperor 2, but after seeing it in person I think the knot is too thin for my liking (thanks to all who offered up advice in my Emperor 2 thread).

I considered the E3 but it seems like the knot will be of similar size, so I decided to look elsewhere. After much consideration I've narrowed things down to 2 contenders; the Tulip 3 and the M7 (with the E3 being a very distant 3rd.)

Assuming the same hair grade, which do you think is a better bet and why? Just fyi I have a Chubby 1 in Super that I really love. I'm looking for something with a slightly wider knot and with as much density as possible to be used for both bowl and face lathering.

Love them both! Today I would pick the Tulip, my choice may well change tomorrow!

In addition to one of these brushes I'm very much considering a Duke 3 in SilverTip in Butterscotch. But hopefully my SBAD can be tamed by either the Tulip 3 or M7.

I'm looking at ~22-24mm knots to compliment my Chubby 1. A Tulip 2 is a little too close to the dimensions of my Chubby... though so is the Duke 3 so go figure.

In addition to one of these brushes I'm very much considering a Duke 3 in SilverTip in Butterscotch. But hopefully my SBAD can be tamed by either the Tulip 3 or M7.

I'm looking at ~22-24mm knots to compliment my Chubby 1. A Tulip 2 is a little too close to the dimensions of my Chubby... though so is the Duke 3 so go figure.

Sounds like our tastes are similar! I face-lather hard soaps and prefer badger brushes. In addition to my Tulip 2 (super) and Duke 2 (best), I currently have a number of other Simpsons that you might consider: 57, Classic 2, Chubby 1 and Wee Scot. I doubt that any of these will leave my den!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I think that both Tulip and M7 are great brushes, but since I have a T3 and a M6, I would go for the M7.
One of my preferences for handle shapes is that they have to be ergonomic and good to hold. Used to have severe carpal tunnel syndrome and these shapes were good to hold (and the shorties like Duke and chubby unfortunately not).
If you can go for the Manchurian hair.

If you really love the Chubby 1 and want as much density as that, maybe you should get a Chubby 2. IMO none of the others you are considering can really compare to it.

I think that both Tulip and M7 are great brushes, but since I have a T3 and a M6, I would go for the M7.
One of my preferences for handle shapes is that they have to be ergonomic and good to hold. Used to have severe carpal tunnel syndrome and these shapes were good to hold (and the shorties like Duke and chubby unfortunately not).
If you can go for the Manchurian hair.

Had been pretty set on 3 band super, but really not sure. I really want the softest tips with no scritch as my skin is a little sensitive, would you still recommend manchurian? I was under the impression that it has some minor scritch.

If you really love the Chubby 1 and want as much density as that, maybe you should get a Chubby 2. IMO none of the others you are considering can really compare to it.

If there was a Chubby with ~ 24mm knot I would go for it. The problem is I think the Chubby 2 knot would be way too big for me. I've heard the CH2 lacks flow through and hogs lather, but maybe a 2 band could remedy this some?

The reason I'm considering the Tulip is because I got the impression that it is the densest brush available between the CH1 and CH2 knot size along with the Persian Jar and Polos neither of which appeal to me more than the Tulip. Am I short changing the 50s? I have no idea about the density of the M7 and any opinions would be really helpful.

You can always get a custom brush made. If you're not set on the Simpsons brand.?

Unless you are able to buy in person and choose from brushes in person, The Superior Shave is your next best option I think for Simpsons. If you order a certain model anywhere else, you're getting the luck of the draw with a Simpsons. Jared photographs each brush individually and posts the knot dimensions. Makes it a much more informed decision when buying a natural hair, handmade product.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The best companion for a Chubby is a Duke. And the Duke 3 is the perfect all around brush.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Had been pretty set on 3 band super, but really not sure. I really want the softest tips with no scritch as my skin is a little sensitive, would you still recommend manchurian? I was under the impression that it has some minor scritch.
Well, then I would go for the three-band Super. The Manchurians I have do not have scritch, they do have scrub. The hair is thicker in the stem, so it has more backbone, but both my brushes have soft tips
But, then everyone has a different feel, what is fine for the one guy is bad for the next.
For example, I had once one of the highly sought Rooney Finest, but it was the most scritchy brush I ever used!! It felt like barbed wire on the face when in use (dry it felt fine...but when it got wet...bad)

If there was a Chubby with ~ 24mm knot I would go for it. The problem is I think the Chubby 2 knot would be way too big for me. I've heard the CH2 lacks flow through and hogs lather, but maybe a 2 band could remedy this some?

The reason I'm considering the Tulip is because I got the impression that it is the densest brush available between the CH1 and CH2 knot size along with the Persian Jar and Polos neither of which appeal to me more than the Tulip. Am I short changing the 50s? I have no idea about the density of the M7 and any opinions would be really helpful.
It sounds like you want an Elite Razors Manchurian White. See if they have a handle style that you like. Most of his are taller styles, but he also would probably do a custom request. Shaving Brushes | Elite Razor

Well, then I would go for the three-band Super. The Manchurians I have do not have scritch, they do have scrub. The hair is thicker in the stem, so it has more backbone, but both my brushes have soft tips
But, then everyone has a different feel, what is fine for the one guy is bad for the next.
For example, I had once one of the highly sought Rooney Finest, but it was the most scritchy brush I ever used!! It felt like barbed wire on the face when in use (dry it felt fine...but when it got wet...bad)

Do you have any of the 2 band SilverTip to compare to? I'm a little confused as to the difference between Manchurian and 2 band SilverTip in terms of how it feels. Is it just a matter of backbone?

I just ordered a chubby 1 in super. I blame you. Lol

Tbh I don't even know why I'm not just getting another Chubby 1 in Super. I can't really imagine a better brush. I'm looking to try something a little bigger but at a Chubby density the extra lather needed/held in the knot might not be an improvement.

Vikings blade makes a little steel bowl that I use my Chubby 1 with and it's so shallow that it works perfectly. I'd highly recommend it as it is not costly and really adds versatility. If you want to take it a step further, I have a camp mug from a company called Iron and Resin that that bowl fits perfectly into, and when filled with hot water, keeps the lather warm.

Either way, unless you find the handle too short which I don't, imo it's impossible not to love.

There is sale with good discount for M7 T3 Manchurian and Simfix 404 2 band Silvertip on Simpson website now which are very good deals.
You can get a T3 in 3 band super any time from many vendors but we don't see these Manchurian and 2 band deal often.
I have
T3 in Super 3 band
M7 Manchurian
T3 Manchurian
Duke 3 2 band(old 2 band hair from 2012)
I will go for the M7 Manchurian from the deal offering now
The M7 handle in more versatile for both bowl and face lathering, T3 is better for face lathering.

proxy.php

These are what i having now
their hair grades

Simpson
best
super 3 band
2 band
Manchurian

Rooney
3 band Silvertip
2 band

Thater
2 band

the Manchurian hair is scrubby
2 band is softer
softest will be super 3 band if you get a good batch it really very soft, even softer than 2 band, but some of my super 3 band don't feel that soft so it depending on 'luck'
best is a hit or miss but value for money
Thater 2 band is very similar to Simpson 2 band
the Simpson Manchurian is similar to Rooney 2XL 2 band
that how i feel about them
of all I prefer the very soft good batch super 3 band most because I can keep lathering with it on and on whole day without any irritation or burn. it is that good.

Top Bottom