What's new

👋 Simpson Trafalgar T3 Vs. Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic 👋

So the story goes smth. like this:

I've got the T3 last week and it's already my favorite brush out of all badgers and boars I have. It's also my first synthetic ever.

I love everything about it - size, backbone, loft shape, handle, the quality and amount of lather it generates, the way it feels on my face.

I'm literally blown away by how great this thing is.

All that being said, I'm wondering how different the CH2 synthetic is, compared to this T3.

I know fibers are different grade, I read all about it. I am interested in the real-life performance, face-feel, splay, etc... difference, if any. That sort of thing. I'm an avid face-latherer, BTW.

If anyone of you brush experts out there has both of these babies and would care to shed some light, I'd be much obliged!

TIA!! 😀

Last edited:
I had both the T2 and the Chubby 2 synthetic, so it's not exactly the comparison you are looking for. Also, I did not like either of them. I thought the Chubby was too hard to splay, and I found the bristles on the T2 too poky. For the past two weeks while I am in quarantine in Canada I have been using a Yaqi Mink synthetic that (for me) outperforms both of those Simpsons synthetics. It splays easily, has good backbone and soft tips. It excels at both building lather when you face lather and for painting the lather on. I use a combination of swirling and painting when I face lather, so I want a brush that handles both with ease.

I had both the T2 and the Chubby 2 synthetic, so it's not exactly the comparison you are looking for. Also, I did not like either of them. I thought the Chubby was too hard to splay, and I found the bristles on the T2 too poky. For the past two weeks while I am in quarantine in Canada I have been using a Yaqi Mink synthetic that (for me) outperforms both of those Simpsons synthetics. It splays easily, has good backbone and soft tips. It excels at both building lather when you face lather and for painting the lather on. I use a combination of swirling and painting when I face lather, so I want a brush that handles both with ease.
Tnx for that!

Sorry to hear, though.

I have the T2 and like @Steve_in_CT I find the synthetic fibers in the Trafalgar series very pokey. Mine is currently pending in a Pif looking for a good home. Also +1 for the Yaqi. I own one and another is on the way along with an APShave Co 26mm Cashmere fan knot brush.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've got both, one of the earlier CH2 in Synthetic Badger and a T3. The CH is shorter lofted (52 vs 56 mm) and denser, so it seems to have more scrub and ability to pick up hard soap to lather .. and gives more feel while face-lathering. The T3 has a slightly wider knot, though they are both on the expansive side for my tastes at 27 mm & 29 mm. Both are extremely soft at the tips, I feel the CH has slightly more backbone (maybe just due to the loft difference?). In use, both have the annoying synthetic dribble .. which is a nit and one that probably would abate if I used them other than once in a month or so .. the handles are obviously different, a matter of personal preference more than anything functional.

I'd rate the CH2 higher, but couldn't say the difference would be worth 3x the price if that were the sole consideration.

I have the T1 and Ch2 in Sovereign bristles. I also have the M7 and Duke3 in Platinum.

Honestly no brush I have ever used is better than the T1, and this includes Emperors and Chubbies Super Badger.

The Ch2 Sovereign size is obviously bigger than the T1 (probably more comparable in size to the T3). It is more dense and gives a fuller face feel, and might be able to keep more water without spilling over for face lathering, but with a minimum of care and habit this is insignificant.

Regarding the Sovereign versus the more expensive Platinum bristles, I find no difference.

I used my T3 daily head and face shave for about 18 months. It’s a real workhorse. I was rough with it and that my constant mashing took its toll. The top of the brush resembled a hurricane. I contacted Simpson. They asked for some photos. In short order they asked that I return mine for analysis. In return they replaced mine! Outstanding customer service.
In addition I purchased the CH2 synthetic. I’m a little more gentle with it. Both brushes excel at painting in the lather. I expect that will be in my rotation for many years to come.
B103142E-A7C0-4B38-A270-98AEA983EF36.jpeg

I have a T1 now that has celebrated 3 birthday's. I bought it new in feb 2020 and here’s what it looks like as of today.

It’s seen daily use basically three years straight. I’m disappointed that the blue and black soap I bought from Buff City soap dyed the brush blue. I can’t get it out but it doesn’t turn my other soaps colors so I don’t care.

What do you guys think? Talk to simpson? See what they say? I’d like to think I got my moneys worth.

Attachments

• FA02FE82-6021-4361-946F-F71450C9DE15.jpeg
    FA02FE82-6021-4361-946F-F71450C9DE15.jpeg
    650.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 1DF5195A-4E64-45BC-AB32-9D30C8AE538D.jpeg
    1DF5195A-4E64-45BC-AB32-9D30C8AE538D.jpeg
    652.5 KB · Views: 60
I hope no one minds me reopening this thread.

I have a soft spot for the appearance of the Chubby. I dont own one. But I have a T3 Trafalgar. I dont hate it. It's an ok brush. But I am glad it didn't cost me 100 euro's.
What I hate about it is the fact that it doesn't hold water. I think someone above here called it "synthetic dribble"?

I also find the T3a bit too floppy, I am guessing the ch2 with it's lower loft could be a better fit. But am wondering if it would retain water better as well.

A ch2 in best is too expensive for me.

Any thoughts on whether or not I would like the ch2 platinum fibres better?

Thanks!

I hope no one minds me reopening this thread.

I have a soft spot for the appearance of the Chubby. I dont own one. But I have a T3 Trafalgar. I dont hate it. It's an ok brush. But I am glad it didn't cost me 100 euro's.
What I hate about it is the fact that it doesn't hold water. I think someone above here called it "synthetic dribble"?

I also find the T3a bit too floppy, I am guessing the ch2 with it's lower loft could be a better fit. But am wondering if it would retain water better as well.

A ch2 in best is too expensive for me.

Any thoughts on whether or not I would like the ch2 platinum fibres better?

Thanks!
Totally fine!
I used my T3 exclusively for 18 months so no complaints on performance with it. On a recent trip I used my CH2 and its a fine brush. It's the only synth I've owned that for me it gets better with each use. The T3 was fantastic right from the get go.

BTW Simpson replaced my T3 free of charge. I recently gave that one to my oldest son and am sure that it will serve him well. They stand by their products. If I had to pick one it would be the CH2. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 1691866621366.png
    1691866621366.png
    235.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
The Chubby is more dense as expected. As for the runniness, I am more careful about whipping up lather now with synthetics than I used to with badgers. Synthetics are a little less tolerant of holding carelessly prepared lather. On the good side, I’m getting better shaves.

Top Bottom