What's new

Simpson - Trafalgar T3 concern

I have noticed a number of pictures of Simpson - Trafalgar T3 brushes showing a “Donut hole” in the center of the knot. Most of those pictures are on the “ What did you use today” threads. I know this can happen when too much pressure is used when splaying the knot, but it seems to show up more on this brush than any other I have seen.

I’m curious if others have found this to more of a problem with this particular brush.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've had no donut hole issues with my Trafalgar T3 brush.

Were the pics taken from wet or dry brushes? I shortly had a T3 and the „hole“ formed instantly when wetting the brush just as a property of the fibres. Performance and look of the dry brush were unproblematic.
This ⬆️ can happen with pretty much any brush during use - especially if you hold the brush centered under a running faucet or mash your brush too vigorously.

Typically the "donut hole" comes about from too much pressure while lathering i.e. splaying the brush too much. With that being said, I've noticed that certain brushes tend to have fibers that clump together in a certain way giving the impression of a donut hole. This is more prominent on my synthetic fiber brushes with a pointy bulb shaped knot. I have boars and badgers (especially with higher lofts) that do this to varying degrees. Knot density can also be a factor.

A plissoft style knot in my first brush ever has seen a lot of use and developed a donut hole like appearance. Upon examination I noticed the fibers had actually tangled and I was able to comb it out almost to perfection. I have heard on the forums from brush makers/sellers that "makeup brush fibers" tend to tangle and I think that's exactly what happened here.

So in summation it is a combination of knot shape, fiber type and use patterns. My personal T3 has not seen much in the way of use but it seems to have springy fibers, slightly more loft than T2 and a more prominent bulb shape. I believe these factors play in to what you are observing but at the end of the day for what a T3 costs and how durable they are I would not hesitate to use it and replace it if years down the road it fails.

I'm trying to use my T1 all year long for everything. Face, head, lather tests and face washes to see what will happen to it. After 28 days and already 75 uses, I think you're right. Mine is not showing a hole yet, but what was a perfect bulb shape is definitely getting flat on the top.

I'll update my thread with a picture at the end of this month.

@Cannon Cocker thank you for creating this thread!
I purchased my T3 back in July 2021 and it hasn't missed a day as I'm a daily face and headshaver. It was only Top view looks like the eye of a hurricane. Believe it or not I didn't notice until it was called out through members of this amazing forum that my brush looked 'off'
Now that I'm aware I've taken steps to treat the brush with a little more care. I've started combing the brush after every shave. It's always matted in the middle but I do brush it out, A few strands come out with it but I imagine that's to be expected. I brushed it this morning and here are some photos. I'm wondering what the consensus is with respect to the brush. Keep using it? Or buy another? I'm really curious what you guys think. BTW I did order a custom brush made by an artisan and will post those pitctures shortly. I received an email yesterday that it's almost ready and it will be shipped out soon. The truth is that I was planning on using the new brush exclusively but now I'm not so sure. On a plus note I feel that it was better to learn some hard lessons with the T3 and will definitely take better care of my new brush.

Attachments

• IMG_2290.jpg
    IMG_2290.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2288.jpg
    IMG_2288.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 41
I own two T3s and a T2 (plus a couple other Plissofts) that I told myself were for travel.
Honestly, I just haven't gotten a good relationship with the synthetic knot and prefer using natural bristles; even for travel.

I will admit that for a number of reasons, I am harder on the Synth's than say a prime boar or badger knot.

That being said, I must say that I am perplexed at @awk_m4's Eye of the Hurricane...

@Cannon Cocker thank you for creating this thread!
I purchased my T3 back in July 2021 and it hasn't missed a day as I'm a daily face and headshaver. It was only Top view looks like the eye of a hurricane. Believe it or not I didn't notice until it was called out through members of this amazing forum that my brush looked 'off'
Now that I'm aware I've taken steps to treat the brush with a little more care. I've started combing the brush after every shave. It's always matted in the middle but I do brush it out, A few strands come out with it but I imagine that's to be expected. I brushed it this morning and here are some photos. I'm wondering what the consensus is with respect to the brush. Keep using it? Or buy another? I'm really curious what you guys think. BTW I did order a custom brush made by an artisan and will post those pitctures shortly. I received an email yesterday that it's almost ready and it will be shipped out soon. The truth is that I was planning on using the new brush exclusively but now I'm not so sure. On a plus note I feel that it was better to learn some hard lessons with the T3 and will definitely take better care of my new brush.
How hot of water and how much pressure are you using? Do you use a lather bowl with a rough texture or anything? How do you set the brush to dry?….this is a strange occurrence…

Hey @Scott0079 first of all your avatar is awesome! That was one my favorite shows growing up! Loved it!!

Generally I turn on the hot water tap and soak, squeeze, and shake it until all lather has been rinsed away. I'm generally heavy handed and do use the brush quite vigorously although I'm making a conscious effort to tone that down. I do use a Captains Choice Lather bowl and I leave the brush upright as shown in the attached photo.

Attachments

• IMG_2303.jpg
    IMG_2303.jpg
    947.7 KB · Views: 12
Hey @Scott0079 first of all your avatar is awesome! That was one my favorite shows growing up! Loved it!!

Generally I turn on the hot water tap and soak, squeeze, and shake it until all lather has been rinsed away. I'm generally heavy handed and do use the brush quite vigorously although I'm making a conscious effort to tone that down. I do use a Captains Choice Lather bowl and I leave the brush upright as shown in the attached photo.
As far as my avatar I can at least relate to “a man barely alive” 😁.

I’d say that vigorousness is probably the culprit then, let the brush do the work, lots pressure and speed aren’t needed.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
^^^^ Yup (on the vigorous comment, not the barely alive observation :lol:)

I'd also suggest to start swirling in the opposite direction. Perhaps we've found the cause of polar vortices? 🤔

Top Bottom