What's new

Simpson Trafalgar T2 ..... first shave.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'm so pleased with my Trafalgar T1 and T2 that today I ordered a back-up of each.

By the way, the knots on the T1 and T2 seem almost identical. The main difference are the handles that, for size, resemble respectively a Chubby 1 and a Duke 3 - two of my all-time favourite. :thumbup:

The T3 is already a huge brush. This pic is the guy from Executive Shaving. I picked the photo because it gives an idea of size.

1598662745099.png

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I like the size of the T2 handle. Is it based on the size of a handle Simpson uses in other brushes?

The shape and size of the T2 handle is very, very close to the Duke 3 handle.

The T1 handle, instead, maintains the Duke-style, but in terms of size it's close to a Chubby 1 handle.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I like the T3. I think either of the others would be too small for me. I primarily use synthetics in the 26 mm size. I have a few with different synth knots and different lofts. I also have a few 24 mm synths. So the T3 seems a bit smaller than what I am used to. And the loft is a bit smaller, which makes for a tighter splay. This is a good thing. If all of my brushes splayed and felt the same, what would be the point of having more than one? So far the T3 rocks it. The handle is comfortable and nicely weighted. And the brush looks and feels like a Simpson should. A very enjoyable change of pace from what I typically use daily.

Mystery solved...I think.
Although the Simpson website shows a shorter loft for this brush, Bullgoose Shaving seems to have just received some T1 inventory. Specs listed are exactly what this brush measures out at. I have found at least one other vendor who lists the T1 dimensions to also be with this knot loft. So, it appears the good folks on the Isle of Man
merely decided a slightly taller loft made for a better brush. OK.....

I received my T1 from Bullgoose this morning and it has a 49mm loft, that's taller than spec, but still quite a bit shorter and spreadier than yours looks... here's a pic of it next to my 55mm lofted (exactly to spec!) Petrol Head.

P8310001.JPG

Well. Anyone looking for a T1 (never used) that has a loft of about 50-52mm?
Simpson advised me a replacement was between me and the vendor. For reasons of my own (which I don’t want to get into here), I truly do not wish to drag the vendor into this issue. Hence...I have a brand new Simpson Trafalgar T1
with a somewhat taller loft than the norm which I would probably keep if I did not own a T2.
Alas........

My experience with Simpson customer service when dealing with problem brushes is that they expect the vendor to be their Warranty department... they provide an "as sold" product when it wasn't bought direct; what outside sellers choose to do for customer satisfaction seems to be up to that individual vendor.

That said, I did have a vendor (thanks WCS!) replace a shedding Special in best, though my Special in pure waited long enough to shed out that it wasn't considered to be an initial defect and my unuseably prickly Wee Scot was just consedered by that vendor (not WCS) to be tough luck on my part.

Last edited:
My experience with Simpson customer service when dealing with problem brushes is that they expect the vendor to be their Warranty department

Which is logical in the Old Continent* since for a very long time (from around 1985 and revised around 2000 if I remember correctly) the SELLER has the obligation to cover the warranty of an item, unless it is stated in the warranty terms that the PRODUCER/IMPORTER overides the seller at coverage.
What happens after the customer is covered (by replacement of refund) is not a problem of the consumer but of 2 companies (seller and producer/importer).

I asume that this may be a prerequisite from Simpsons (probably a contract term) with their resellers worldwide (at least this is what I would do to secure that my brand is represented by someone who is trustworthy).

*Yes I am very well aware of the Brexit but it has not kicked in 100% yet.

If you buy a pair of Levi's from the high street and there's a problem, surely you go back to the store on the high street?

If I purchased a pair of Levi's that were so scratchy I couldn't wear them, or came apart at the seams after the first washing and then the store that sold them to me said: "Sorry, the company that made these might not refund us for them, so we won't be replacing, or refunding your purchase", then I'd darn well hope that Levi Strauss would make it right for me!

Ultimately, a manufacturer that wishes to have its quality held in high esteem needs to take ownership of any issues with their product, part of that process is making certain that the retailers who carry their wares are empowered to do right by the customer, or failing that to make right directly to the customer.

I stopped purchasing Simpson brushes for several years after I got burned on the Wee Scot, but have come back around to buying their (*almost* always) excellent brushes, because I can better afford to be disappointed by the odd substandard brush these days.

Top Bottom