Loft: 64
Height: 63
Weight: 18 grams

2. Harvard H4
Knot: 24
Loft: 50
Height: 110
Weight: 83 grams

Both are in Best Badger and I really like both.
There are several videos on Youtube including by the company; If you start with "simpson shaving brushes", you'll find them.

I fully realize that there a many threads about these brushes on B&B, maybe this can be the "go to" for all things Simpson.
If you own Simpsons or have an interest in varous models, history, performance or questions, post here and welcome!:001_smile

Last edited:

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Wee Scott is my only Simpson. Love the little guy. Tell us more Mike.
Mine are kind of the "Mutt & Jeff" examples of large and small. Lots of members have many more than you and me as seen by the multiple threads and pics scattered around B&B. I have questions of my own for those with much more knowledge about these iconic brushes.
I ordered the brush cleaning soap from Superior Shave after reading about it on his site and can't wait to try it out. The owner said it works with boar brushes also.

At last count, I had about 30 (I know, I know). 2/3 are current Isle of Man production, and the rest are Somerset productions with the majority from the Carter era. I am a huge fan of the Fifty Series brushes, with the 57 being my favorite, but they provide me with the most versatile handle for face and bowl lathering, and knots that work well with creams and soaps. I think the Harvards are similar, and have an H4 like you Mike, with an Isle of Man H3, and Somerset H2. One day I will acquire all six sizes of Harvard, though I expect the 5 and 6 will have to be customs.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Over the years I have owned many different models. There are currently 10 Simpson brushes in my collection.

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
As my B&B friends already know I'm a huge fan of Simpson brushes. They all come from the Isle of Man, hence they all belong to the current "Vulfix Era". Most of my brushes have been built on my request and hand inspected by Mark, who, brushes aside, is a great friend for me and a wonderful person.

My Simpsons are:

Chubby 1 Super (x2)
Chubby 1 Best (x2)
Chubby 2 Super
Chubby 2 Best
Duke 2 Best
Duke 2 Best with custom engraving ("Marco" on the bottom of the handle)
Duke 3 Super
Duke 3 Best (x2)
Classic 2 Best
Colonel X2L Best
Berkeley 46 Best
Special Best

The Chubby and Duke Series are my favourite lines and I'm thinking about adding a Duke 2 Super to my collection sometime in the near future.

Marco-what are your thoughts on the longer handled models? The Colonel you have may be the most versatile first "good" brush that a shaver could get, but how about the Emperors, Polos and the like?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco-what are your thoughts on the longer handled models? The Colonel you have may be the most versatile first "good" brush that a shaver could get, but how about the Emperors, Polos and the like?

Bob, I'm a 100% face latherer with medium sized hands and that's why I love short "fat" handle styles like the Chubbies or Dukes. I find them extremely easy to handle and manoeuvre around the face. Also, I like to hold them as you would do with a door knob and really feel no desire for longer handles. The Colonel is the sole exception in my collection and, as you properly say, it's also the most versatile inexpensive Simpson brush of them all. Models in the Emperor, Polo, Persian Jar and Fifty Series are ideal for bowl/mug/scuttle lathering or wet shavers with bigger hands.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Bob; You mentioned "Somerset" brushes which I understand the handles were made of catalin. Then they changed to ivory colored polyester plastic rod which is the current material. Do you know of the time frame for the switch, allowing for overlap?

I'm not sure when the switchover from catalin to resin occurred. I have a vintage 57 that is slowly going butterscotch, and feels younger than the couple of Nimmer Mill (Simpson/Young family) Simpsons I have. It could be 80s or 90s, but I can't say for sure.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I'm in on this one. I'm down to, I think, 7 total, but at one point I think I had 20 or so. PIFed most of them away. Let's see if I can remember. Duke3, Chubby 2 2 band mutant, Persian Jar 2, Special, Somerset Rover (I think I got from Johnniegold, but not sure), (actually, I just PIFed the Somerset, i still have a modern Rover) Classic and a Somerset Persian Jar style butterscotch (made for Gimbals?) (Those are the ones i kept) I pretty much loved them all, but kept the ones I loved the most

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I'm in on this one. I'm down to, I think, 7 total, but at one point I think I had 20 or so. PIFed most of them away. Let's see if I can remember. Duke3, Chubby 2 2 band mutant, Persian Jar 2, Special, Somerset Rover (I think I got from Johnniegold, but not sure), Classic and a Somerset Persian Jar style butterscotch (made for Gimbals?) (Those are the ones i kept) I pretty much loved them all, but kept the ones I loved the most

I remember that. You went on quite a brush spree. :yesnod:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I think I'm probably down to my core set of Simpsons, the ones I like too much to get rid of. There probably won't be any more Simpson PIFs for quite a while; well maybe the modern Rover, but probably not, I like that one a lot too

I've liked ALL of my Simpsons very much, but found that some of them just weren't getting much use, so it was only fair that someone else got them. I hope the folks who received them liked them at least as much as I did

Really happy I found the perfect razor first time around

I bought my Simpson Colonel X2L Best Badger for its reputation for quality, versatility and face-lathering prowess. It has not disappointed.

I have 2:

Colonel X2L Best. Beautiful brush.
Duke 3 Best, sitting in my mail carrier's bag, who better deliver it today, because I'm holding off on my shave!

I think something in the 50s series will probably be in my possession by Christmas.

I've been alternating use of the Rover LE in Best with a Savile Row 3824 this week. I continue to be impressed with the Rover, as the Isle of Man version of the handle is very true to the original Somerset Rover, but the Best badger knot is really a big step up over Pure (and it doesn't matter what generation of "pure" you're using, it's still scratchy). Mark has really nailed the ratio between density and loft in brushes over the last couple of years, giving a fantastic combination of flow through and scrub, particularly with the Best badger knots. These brushes are an absolute pleasure to use.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'm starting to get a serious itch on a custom brush... A Duke 2 Super... Is there a cure for this?

Top Bottom