What's new

Simpson Questions

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Here is my lineup of best brushes, if this helps.

View attachment 1230913

View attachment 1230944

I'd say your classic 2 has some darker hair, needs to be put to work to make it conform. My classic 1 has "cafe latte brown" colour throughout, it's always been that way, works fine. I have a KH2 at my dad's house that is also very brown looking in hair.

My Special and Chubby 1 are more "grey tipped", whereas the Classic 2 is more silver tipped looking.

The Duke 1 looks great, you did well there!
Are the Classics 1 and 2 really noticeably different? I have a Classic 1 in Best and I think it is a terrific little brush, but I've never used the CL 2. I can see that the CL 2 has a bigger handle, but do the knots feel different?

@Owen Bawn Compared to my CL1 (either 2-band or Best), the CL2 in Best feels a lot more dense, face feel is similar. The CL2 is feels smaller than a chubby 1 but the overall density is very high owing to the shorter loft and no glue bump.

Great brushes indeed!

Are the Classics 1 and 2 really noticeably different? I have a Classic 1 in Best and I think it is a terrific little brush, but I've never used the CL 2. I can see that the CL 2 has a bigger handle, but do the knots feel different?
@Owen Bawn Compared to my CL1 (either 2-band or Best), the CL2 in Best feels a lot more dense, face feel is similar. The CL2 is feels smaller than a chubby 1 but the overall density is very high owing to the shorter loft and no glue bump.

Great brushes indeed!

Interesting you bring up the Classic 2. I tried the Chubby 1 Best (too small), Chubby 2 Best (too big), along with numerous other Simpson handles that just didn't perform to my expectations. Not that they were bad brushes, only they had characteristics that were different than my preference in a brush.

I then noticed something on the Simpson website under the Classic 2, "often referred to as the Chubby 1.5". I bought the Classic 2 Best and have to say it is a wonderful little brush. It is great for face lathering, with density and backbone above its small size and fits in a little pill bottle as my travel brush. My other Simpson brush that I kept is the Duke 3 Manchurian at 3 times the cost of the Classic 2 Best. If someone is on a budget and wants a terrific Simpson brush, the Classic 2 Best is a great choice. It is rarely discussed on B&B, which is rather surprising given how well it performs.

It unfortunately (or fortunately) works both ways with Simpsons.

Look at the Best Badger M7 second from right in my pic. It has more of a Super badger knot than the Super Badger Tulip 3 beside it on the right. Or the Emperor 3 Super in front. I was going to order a M7 Super, but I guess I already have one.

Part of the charm, but you can on rare occasion end up getting a downgraded knot.

View attachment 1230830
@SharpieB any chance of posting a pic of that CH2 Synth next to Trafalgar T3?

I'd be forever grateful! 😊

Thanks for the thoughtful response, @It's Hedley . I had no idea the CL2 was bigger than a CH1. I thought it was considered a "Chubby 0.5."
The handle size difference is not really significant, it's the knot ratio of diameter to loft of the CL2 that makes it a better fit for me personally than the Chubby 1. I am not sure why they call it the Chubby 1.5 because it really doesn't fit between the Chubby 1 and Chubby 2 for specs. Interesting indeed.

Tnx, but it doesn't.

I've got T3 and would like to see it next to CH2 Synthetic for size comparison.

But, really tnx for your goodwill nonetheless! 👍👍😊
I do have the T3 but have neither a CH2 in Badger nor Synthetic but I can make a comparison pic with every other brush in my den.
42B4CFA6-D28E-45DE-80E4-145C17B29236.jpeg

Top Bottom