What's new

Simpson Questions

Hello everyone,

Well after falling in love with wet shaving again (I realized that a DE89 wasn’t doing it for me and switched to an R42, everything changed) I bought some Simpson Brushes.

The 3 below plus a Wee Scot. I have two questions.

1. Is the Duke supposed to be a lighter handle colour? I like it but just curious.

2. Does the Classic 2 look too dark to be a ‘Best’ does colour come into play in grades? It seems much darker then my Chubby 2.

I love the Duke l, really like the Chubby and am undecided on the Classic 2, it seems to be lacking the backbone I was hoping for and a bit prickly. Perhaps after a few dozen shaves it will soften as my Chubby did.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
C6E7DB5D-07D7-4C19-A281-02A6EBC2305C.jpeg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Fine grouping there. I’m not sure about the color etc. others with experience may weigh in but I think these are hand made items so there is no real exact uniformity I’m assuming you bought them direct from Simpson.

Fine grouping there. I’m not sure about the color etc. others with experience may weigh in but I think these are hand made items so there is no real exact uniformity I’m assuming you bought them direct from Simpson.

Thank you, Two direct from Simpson, the Chubby from Fendrihan.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There can be differences in the exact colours of the ivory resin handles and I have seen darker, lighter, and even a pinkish hue. This is nothing to worry about in my opinion. Simpson Best grade is variable since it is a natural product which is not chemically treated. This variety is not just in the brush models but varies from individual brush to brush. Most examples are three band and soft with good backbone and a little scrub, I have seen others which are more like three band Super which I do not like at all. Some are uniformly dark bristle which resembles Pure and may have some prickle. Your example resembles that and it is the luck of the draw. Again, nothing to worry about I think; another Classic in Best may look and feel quite different, that is part of the appeal, for me anyway, of Simpson.

I think he is concerned with the color of the handles, not the hair
I thought the OP asked two questions, I only answered the one I believed I could. LOL- I had to look and see if there was any color variations in the resin handles I have here. I never noticed any. The hair color variation, I was familiar with.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Here are some B&B threads relating to varieties in handle colour etc.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I thought the OP asked two questions, I only answered the one I believed I could. LOL- I had to look and see if there was any color variations in the resin handles I have here. I never noticed any. The hair color variation, I was familiar with.
You are actually right, he asks both...Hard to make differences out in the color of the handles due to the picture is kinda taken with light from behind, so they are in the shade somehow.
But, yes, the small "Best" looks like a pure to me. I have an old Rover in Pure that looks much better that this Best. For me the Best grade was always hit and miss....some are good, others meh. In my opinion the two-band grades are much better in the offerings of Simpson; I have an old Polo in two-band Super and a couple of Manchurians, but no longer any best grade.

Here are some B&B threads relating to varieties in handle colour etc.

+1! Excellent threads that address the question!! :a29:

First, thank you all for your replies. I have included a better pic of the handle colour. I actually like the whiter look of the Duke, just thought I would see if there was a reason other then it seems Simpson isn’t consistent in their handle colours... and it seems their brush quality.

I have tried the Classic 2 several more times and it seems nicer then when I first used itbut for me that is not the issue.

If you are selling ‘Best’ and I am paying for ‘Best’ then I shouldn’t feel like it is Pure and to many also look pure.

I am thankful my two other Simpsons are of nice quality, but sadly this brush will be my work/back-up brush. It isn’t horrible, but I would not have purchased it if I had known the varied differences between my Chubby in Best and the Classic.

I just wish I had a shaving store with Simpson rushes in my city so I could see them in person.

Again, thank you all for your input.

CCBD83EE-9896-4530-8B31-4CDA86C4A0D6.jpeg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
That’s a better comparison. If it was me I wouldn’t keep them near each other 🤣
If it bothers you I suppose you could contact Simpson.

the classic looks to be more on the pure than on the best side to me. yes, color comes into play of classifying grade so as firmness. this brush looks borderline simpsons best imho.
regarding handle color. maybe they intentionally put the lighter color on the 2band for aesthetics but i can be totally off about that too and it has completly different or no reasons at all that it is the way it is, but it looks awesome imho.

edit: @Andrew5 maybe just shoot them an e-mail, i mean, you have at least 3 brushes of them - you are a core customer, so to speak. not that you are pissed, boycott them and wish they burn in hell for it but to lodge that it didnt went unnoticed. this isnt after all a throw away one way penny item. 2¢

Last edited:
Thanks ogu, I agree I love the white on the Duke. Just disappointed in the hair quality.

I am assuming Simpson would says no returns as I used it. The return shipping would make it a waste anyway. Frustrating.

Top Bottom