What's new

Simpson Polo 8 vs 58... vs Colonel 2XL?

Which is Denser?

• Polo 8

Results are only viewable after voting.
The ones I have are in Best and Super 2 band. I have a 3 band super Simpsons Tulip.

Best is variable and can be as soft as 3 band super right away. It's impossible to tell until you get it and use it. I have several Simpsons in Best that are excellent in both density and softness. I've had one that started out a little scratchy but softened up with some usage.

Simpsons are using very high quality hairs that are strikingly natural I feel. So the variation from brush to brush is unavoidable. The density of their knots and quality of the craftsmanship is undeniable. The variations can be frustrating though especially when comparisons are attempted. Knot shapes and hair feel are never absolutely identical.

The handle ergonomics of the Polo are what I really enjoy. Tall and secure in the hand. Solid and, especially in the 8, well proportioned.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Although I already answered in this thread, I'm voting only now: Polo 8. As for the grade of hair Best and Super are both exceptional. In your shoes, I'd probably get a Polo 8 in Super and add a Colonel in Best, too.

Although I already answered in this thread, I'm voting only now: Polo 8. As for the grade of hair Best and Super are both exceptional. In your shoes, I'd probably get a Polo 8 in Super and add a Colonel in Best, too.

I almost went with Super but I have a Polo 8 in Best on the way from the Isle. Ended up being about $40 difference. Hoping Mark picks a good one for me, pics to follow.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I used my old Polo 8 this morning. It's a Best Badger but about the softest tips on any of my brushes.

Bottom shelf next to an almost modern The Colonel:(2nd from left)
proxy.php

Just when I think I'm over Simpsons for good I read and see all this, and the longing begins again. Most of all I miss my Duke 3 which went home with my grandson at Christmas. jar, your collection is a joy to see, and Marcos enthusiasm is difficult to resist. I feel my self control slipping.

Just when I think I'm over Simpsons for good I read and see all this, and the longing begins again. Most of all I miss my Duke 3 which went home with my grandson at Christmas. jar, your collection is a joy to see, and Marcos enthusiasm is difficult to resist. I feel my self control slipping.
I hear ya brother. My b'day is this month, there may be a Colonel X2L involved.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Just when I think I'm over Simpsons for good I read and see all this, and the longing begins again. Most of all I miss my Duke 3 which went home with my grandson at Christmas. jar, your collection is a joy to see, and Marco's enthusiasm is difficult to resist. I feel my self control slipping.

The Duke 3 is a "must have" for the Simpsons lover. It has been described as the perfect all-round brush and for good reasons. Its handle size makes it ideal for both face and bowl/scuttle lathering. Its dense knot combined with the great Best badger hair makes it ideal for producing a superb lather with any soap or any cream. Its overall shape and design is just beautiful. The Duke 3 is certainly one of my top 3 Simpsons, along with the Chubby 1 and Duke 2.

P.S. Sorry for the enthusiasm, but what can I do about that!? Oscar Wild used to say: "The only way to win temptations is to indulge them!"

The Duke 3 is a "must have" for the Simpsons lover. It has been described as the perfect all-round brush and for good reasons. Its handle size makes it ideal for both face and bowl/scuttle lathering. Its dense knot combined with the great Best badger hair makes it ideal for producing a superb lather with any soap or any cream. Its overall shape and design is just beautiful. The Duke 3 is certainly one of my top 3 Simpsons, along with the Chubby 1 and Duke 2.

P.S. Sorry for the enthusiasm, but what can I do about that!? Oscar Wild used to say: "The only way to win temptations is to indulge them!"
Just found a Limited Edition Duke 3 butterscotch at WCS, the longing is over Marco, its on the way. My Grandsons will have to wait awhile for this one.

First shave with the Polo tonight. Great brush, the Best hairs are as soft as my brushes with Super. They might be slightly darker in color, otherwise there's no difference. It's definitely dense, but it's also a bit bigger feeling than I'm used to. My go to is the Chubby 1 which has a similar knot size so I'm a little confused as to why the Polo feels so much different. I cant imagine what the PL14 is like.

The handle is nice and weighty which I like a lot, but I can't help wonder if I should've gotten the Colonel. Oh and I wanted to ask if this has happened to anyone else; when I bent the knot to get the lather out, some of the lather came out brown. Is this normal?

First shave with the Polo tonight. Great brush, the Best hairs are as soft as my brushes with Super. They might be slightly darker in color, otherwise there's no difference. It's definitely dense, but it's also a bit bigger feeling than I'm used to. My go to is the Chubby 1 which has a similar knot size so I'm a little confused as to why the Polo feels so much different. I cant imagine what the PL14 is like.

The handle is nice and weighty which I like a lot, but I can't help wonder if I should've gotten the Colonel. Oh and I wanted to ask if this has happened to anyone else; when I bent the knot to get the lather out, some of the lather came out brown. Is this normal?
I can't speak to the "brown", but it's definitely normal to consider an additional Simpson.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.

It's normal if you did not first give the brush a good spa day.

Most of my Simpsons are Best Badger and even the Pure Badger ones are soft and fantastic.

Chubby use a higher hair count than any of Simpsons other brushes and so feel denser. My Polo is about a half century or so older than your Polo but still feels absolutely great. It's hairs are almost bronze in color.

proxy.php

Most of my Simpsons are Best Badger and even the Pure Badger ones are soft and fantastic.

Chubby use a higher hair count than any of Simpsons other brushes and so feel denser. My Polo is about a half century or so older than your Polo but still feels absolutely great. It's hairs are almost bronze in color.

proxy.php
I'm going blind staring at your brushes jar, an enviable collection sir.

proxy.php
Nice vintage, sir! :302::a14:

Small sample size here, but my Chubby 1 Super has way softer tips than any of my other Simpson Best brushes (Duke 3, 58, Commodore, Chubby 2, etc)...

I've experienced the brown lather (even some wet dog smell) with all of my new badger brushes - it's normal. Give it a week or a 1/2 dozen lathers and it's smooth sailing..

Always nice to check in to this wonderful site. I think Marco's insights are spot on about the Colonel. I do not have either the Polo or the 58 (wish I did) but I do have the Colonel, and coincidentally have been using it for the past 2 weeks. It is a superb, desert island brush. Enjoy

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Always nice to check in to this wonderful site. I think Marco's insights are spot on about the Colonel. I do not have either the Polo or the 58 (wish I did) but I do have the Colonel, and coincidentally have been using it for the past 2 weeks. It is a superb, desert island brush. Enjoy

Joe, my dear old friend, glad to hear from you again!

Top Bottom