What's new

Simpson PJ2 -or- PJ3: Best or Super?

First of all, I'm a Newbie, to both this Forum and wetshaving. I'd like to purchase one, single, solitary, high-end badger hair shaving brush, at least for the time being. :smile:

Back-tracking just a bit . . .

A few weeks ago, I thought it would be a good idea to buy (2) brushes; the reason for which I am now at a complete loss to explain. I got so darned wrapped-up in 'premature' SBAD that I lost track of reality...

During that period, several experienced wetshavers advised me to get a Simpson Emperor E3 (Super) and a PJ3 (Best), to experience the best of both 'Simpson worlds.'

Presently . . .

I really would like to own one, good-for-both (soaps & creams), top-notch shaving brush -- Simpson being my brand name of choice.

The Simpson Emperor E3 comes highly recommended, as do the PJ2 and PJ3. Which one should I get? :confused:

Joel -- you really have Simpson brushes down to a finely-honed science! Which of the two Simpsons (PJ2 or PJ3) would you recommend, and in which grade of badger (Best or Super)? Would you consider the Emperor E3 a viable contender between the PJ2/PJ3 brushes?

Many have told me that Simpson's Best badger is softer (less 'scratchy' or 'brushy' to the face) than its Super badger grade...

I'd like to purchase this brush ASAP, but would like to make an informed decision before shelling-out the cash. :a17:

Any and all feedback would be very much appreciated.

Respectfully,

-Clive

PJ2 - in SUPER.

I hear all sorts of stuff on simpsons best.... well all three of my simpsons in best are scratchier than my super grade simpsons, and don't hold as much water. A simpson best is great - but a super is better in my opinion.

I have the PJ2, the PJ3, and I actually have a Emperor 3 Super right now (that is actually going to be returned) and without question, hands down I feel the PJ2 in Super is the best of the group. The PJ handle is more comfortable, lighter, cleaner looking and more ergonomic than the Emperor, and the knot of hair is long - yet not AS long as the E3, which allows it to be just a touch more ridgid, thus making it better than the E3 for soaps, yet still very soft and supple to be incredibly luxurious and efficacious with shaving soaps.

I honestly cannot say enough good things about the PJ2 super. In fact, so far FIFTEEN guys have come to me asking about them in private, I have told them "if you don't like it - I'll buy it from you" and not a one of 'em would let me get CLOSE to taking their beloved PJ2 Super away.

I have Plisson High White Mountains, Rooney Finests, Simpsons Super/Manchurian, Kent Silvertips, Muhele Silvertips, Shavemaster, Vulfix's, Edwin Jaggers, Shavemacs, Savile Rows, Muehle Pinsels, superior brushes - you get the idea.... brushes that range from $15 all the way up to over $500.... and hands down my favorite is the PJ2 Super.

If I may - I highly recommend going to Lee (from leesrazors.com ) to get your simpson. If you say you are from the forum - not only will he throw in FREE SHIPPING, but he'll match and BEAT any advertised price on a Simpson, so not only will you get wonderful service and the lowest price - but you get free shipping to boot!

Clive,

I'll second Joel's recommendation for the PJ2. I went with the Best version and am more than satisfied with it, but I do have a number of different brushes. I'll also agree with buying from Lee. When I ordered my PJ2, he told me it would be a few weeks. So I ordered and forgot about it. I knew it would be a month, possible longer. Lee kept me updated with phone calls about the status. First class customer service.

Randy

Joel,

Your response is absolutely first-rate!!!

You've removed *ANY* and *ALL* questions I had surrounding which model & grade of Simpson brush to go with.

THANK YOU, Joel. :smile:

I truly appreciate the detailed (& passionate!) enumeration/comparison of your quiver of top-notch shaving brushes . . . with the PJ2 in Super being your hands-down, overall favorite. (MAN did this ever help me!!!!!!)

A PJ2 in Super shall be ordered within the next couple of days - from Lee, per your advice, at: Lee's_Safety_Razors .

Take it easy Joel -- and Happy Shaving! :shaving:

Very Best Regards,

-Clive

Randy,

Great hearing from you 'over here.' :smile:

Thank you for re-affirming Joel's position on the Simpson PJ2. The only discrepancy (if you can call it that) was your electing to get the PJ2 in Best, rather than Super.

I'm going to go with the Super. Why? For one thing, Joel's enthusiasm -- backed by his experience with top-of-the-line shaving brushes, is just too damned compelling!!! Another was my initial 'gut' reaction, after sifting through numerous Simpson posts contained here and on the 'other two' main wetshaving forums, whereupon I concluded: Simpson has a long history of making superlative brushes and shares an outstanding reputation among its users. It would seem that one could not go 'too terribly wrong' when electing to purchase a Simpson shaving brush! :thumbup1:

FWIW, I've certainly arrived at many, far worse conclusions (subsequent to making some pretty crappy 'decisions'). Know what I mean?!?? :sad:

Thanks a lot, Randy. You've been a lot of help during the past several weeks. Really appreciate (and welcome) your input.

Best Regards,

-Clive

Clive,

I don't doubt that someday I will own the PJ2 in super. But I chose to go with best for a number of personal reasons. Since I already own a number of brushes that are/would be considered "super", I was looking for something different. And I've lusted after the PJ2 handle for some time. Enjoy your brush. You'll be glad you bought it!

Randy

I'll throw in my $0.02. Simpson brushes, despite the hoopla you hear on this forum, are ridiculously overpriced for what you get, and have highly variable hair in them, even within the same brush model. I own two, a PJ3 super and a Tulip 3, and I can say without reservation that I get more joy out of brushes that are 1/2 (or less) the cost. I'll take a Savile Row silvertip any day over my Simpsons. If you want more details, feel free to PM me.

S

Sam

I agree with Scotto, in that overall, I have had more positive experiences with Shavemacs than with Simpsons. If it were not for Lee making great deals on the brushes, Id not have even tried Simpsons again after my bad experience with a PJ1 in best (I did not get from him) and a Chubby 2.

Sam

Scotto said:
I'll throw in my $0.02. Simpson brushes, despite the hoopla you hear on this forum, are ridiculously overpriced for what you get, and have highly variable hair in them, even within the same brush model. I own two, a PJ3 super and a Tulip 3, and I can say without reservation that I get more joy out of brushes that are 1/2 (or less) the cost. I'll take a Savile Row silvertip any day over my Simpsons. If you want more details, feel free to PM me.

:idea: So Scotto........how much is your PJ3 super? Inquiring minds want to know.

I agree with Scotto and Sam; especially my older style Shavemacs are built as good as Simpsons, i.e. like tanks; the badger hair is of outstanding and superbe quality; the performance is top notch. The price was and still is much lower than that of a comparable Simpsons.

There's only one "but"......just as a Mercedes lacks the appeal of a Bentley or Rolls, a Shavemac/Savile Row lacks appeal compared to a Simpsons brush, at least imho.....

One can argue about the added value of something like appeal, but if you care for it, and your wallet permits it, go for a Simpson brush; of you don't care a damn s... about appeal, go for a Shavemac or Savile Row; or even two, if your wallet lets you to:biggrin:

Peter

Interesting.... I actually find Shavemacs to have more visual appeal than Simpsons. Maybe I am just in the Fake Ivory Doesn't Do It For Me camp. Granted, the shape of my T3 is more appealing than anything else I've seen.

I also feel like my one (soon to be two, woohoo) Shavemac is extremely well built. Although it has shed enough to concern me slightly. And the costumer service is the best (I know that if shedding continues to be a problem, Bernd WILL take care of me).

That said, I would prefer Shavemac, EXCEPT that I really like the stiffness of Simpson super bristles. I understand that the Finest (best) that I have is stiffer than the Silvertip. But it is still nowhere near the stiffness of my T3. Which is pretty much the minimum of what I really want. (I think the knot I really want is a Chubby 2 Super, but I am disinclined to spend the money, and HATE overly short handles).

As to the original question. I wouldn't get the E3 because I think the handle is extremely ugly. Also, the loft, if I remember, is longer. See above - I like stiffness. Likewise, I am surprise at the overwhelming support for the PJ2 v. PJ3. I can't give an unbiased opinion, since I only have a three, but I would not want anything smaller.

For the people who have tried both, why the PJ2 over the PJ3? Is there some other difference that I am not realizing?

Moses,

I went with the PJ2 because of the size. I have several large brushes, and I love them, but for me, the PJ2 is the perfect size.

Randy

S

Sam

Moses, the CHubby 2 is stiffer than any Shavemac I have, and the stiffest Shavemac I have is an XXL but it is soft and not scrubby feeling. It is just so dense that it is very resilient but not scrubby. I am with you on the fake ivory thing. I will say my Chubby 1 is very soft and the bristles are the same color as my SHavemacs and feel just about as good - the only complaint is the really small handle but Ill get used to it. I will say that the Simpsons do not compel me to get more than one, at least not yet, but I could get another Shavemac. The more I use other brushes, the more I love the Shavemacs I have. That is why it is tough for me to want to acquire more of them. What if I already have the best-feeling shave brush in my arsenal?

Sam

The truth?

Had someone told me beforehand that the seemingly benign process of choosing one's very first shaving brush could/would entail THIS much time, worry, anxiety and frustration, I would simply have shrugged it off (as being nothing more than 'asinine.').

That was then . . .

Now, it seems that getting and keeping a popular consensus among wetshaving aficionados -- regarding the merits of any top-notch shaving brush -- is tantamount to finding the Holy Grail: it just ain't gonna happen!

First, it's "Yeah! The PJ2 is the quintessential 'bee's knees' of shaving brushes(!). You've GOT to get this brush, as it's the finest in all the land!" :thumbup1:

Then, several folks chimed back with, "Well, today's Simpson has such poor quality control that I'd NEVER buy one of their overpriced, *** brushes again!" :frown:

Finally, there are the mixed (hot/cold -- love/hate) opinions that begin to spew forth.....and, before one can say, 'UNCLE!' . . . it's back to square one.......to wit: Which *$%#@! brush is it gonna be?!?? :eek:

It has now become painfully obvious (and a foregone conclusion) that NO person posting/lurking on this, or any wetshaving forum, will purchase *JUST* one shaving brush - and be forever satisfied.

Therefore, to hell with it. I'm going to buy (definitively - no "ifs", "ands", or "buts") a Simpson PJ2 in Super -- and 'suffer' the consequences. :laugh:

It'll just be a matter of time until several of the other brushes you kind gents have mentioned begin making their way into my 'shaving den.' So, all is not lost!

I've got to start somewhere . . . and a PJ2 Super can't be all THAT bad, can it?!?? (PLEASE don't answer that!!!) :117: :117: :117: :117:

Thanks to all who've responded -- I mean it. I'll soon let you know how the new brush fares......

Cheers! :em2300:

-Clive

Clive,

I began 'wetshaving' again a little over one year ago. I had the same mindset that I really just wanted one (1) brush! My choice at that time boiled down to a Vulfix 2235 Super Badger Brush that I used for about 9 months before the 'brush bug' bit me. I truly enjoyed my Vulfix and it is still in my brush rotation. But like most men, I started wanting more toys...er, tools. I gave in, and ordered a Shavemac 23mm Silvertip, and it has turned out to be my current favorite brush. Since then, I have also added a Boar Brush, a C&E Best Badger and a Savile Row 3120. Enough!....I sternly said! :ohmy:

Then I caved in last Friday night and ordered a Simpson PJ2 Best from Em. :frown: It arrived here yesterday. I've read so much about the PJ2 that I decided it just had way more 'pros' than 'cons'. As for the Best vs Super decision...my 'disgressionary shaving slush fund' pretty much decided that for me...so I went with 'Best' Badger. OK, that pretty much does it for me...I've satisfied my need for a Simpson, I now have a Simpson to talk about and I don't need anymore! :eek:

But I do wonder if maybe I should save up for the PJ2 Super...just to be able to make my own unbiased personal comparison of the two??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Of course you do Ron......and after a PJ2 you see yourself wanting a PJ3 wondering how the loft of that brush will be; and after that you will keep on wondering about other brushes.......:biggrin: Can't help it, but that's the way it turns out to work with shaving brushes and shavegeeks........

Follow me into the endless depths of the SBAD Abyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssssssssssssss.......

Peter

S

Sam

Ron, look away from Peter's light, look away my friend, for you surely will plumb the depths of SBAD hell if you do not look away. I too have satisifed my Simpsons need, if you will, but my Shavemacs still are my favorite brushes. My next one will be the HMW I beleive from Plisson as I really am impressed with the construction, knot and handle shape of my size 12 Black Plisson badger brush

Sam

Man, Clive is correct - everybody has a differing opinion on brushes. I went through the same thing in trying to pick one brush. I went from wanting a SR to a Simpsons PJ2 Best to a Shavemac Silver to an Omega to a Rooneys Finest and finally settled on a Simpsons Chubby 3 Best for my first and only "good brush". I hope this one satisfies me and I don't end up with 92 brushes :eek: or my spousal unit might throw me out on my ear.

I just recovered from a 10 year bout with WAD (watch acquisition disorder) and sold most of my collection when they just didn't interest me any more. So, I have a little bit of discretionary funding for brushes and razors and creams and balms, and OMG, where does it end???

I guess there is no such thing as OBN (one brush nirvana), huh?

drP said:
Of course you do Ron......and after a PJ2 you see yourself wanting a PJ3 wondering how the loft of that brush will be; and after that you will keep on wondering about other brushes.......:biggrin: Can't help it, but that's the way it turns out to work with shaving brushes and shavegeeks........

Follow me into the endless depths of the SBAD Abyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssssssssssssss.......

Peter

Peter,

Depending on how the PJ2 Best evaluation goes, I already have the Duke Best on my radar screen as well. And then there's the need to add the Savile Row 3122 and 3124, so that my little Savile Row 3120 won't be so lonesome. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I need a ShaveMac Finest to be able to compare it to my ShaveMac Silvertip. And that my friend is my list! :cool:

I just remembered, I don't have any Kents!!! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Top Bottom