What's new

Simpson PJ2 -or- PJ3: Best or Super?

I could not resist. Lee offered me a PJ2 at an incedible price. It should be here in a couple of weeks. I am soooooooooooooooo WEAK! My wife does not know. I am in BIG trouble. How can I justify a Shavemac? OH YEAH......Christmas. HELP ME! I am an addict!

moses said:
For the people who have tried both, why the PJ2 over the PJ3? Is there some other difference that I am not realizing?

PJ2 has a smaller knot, yet is also a little stiffer as it is a little shorter (the loft). The PJ3 is more what I would describe as "cushy" and luxurious, it splays out more, and is too large (in my opinion) for hard soaps. The PJ2 is firm/stiff - yet still very soft and luxurious - a perfect mix/blend of the two desireable qualities. While I have heard mixed reviews/experiences from PJ3's, Polo's, Chubbies, Emperors, etc - I have not heard a single negative/bad experience with a PJ2 Super to date. I am sure somewhere out there - there is someone who isn't fond of 'em, as that is the nature of the beast, but I have been singin' the PJ2 Super tune for over a year now, more than 25 guys have bought them based on my recommendation - and EVERY single one of them has felt it was as good, or BETTER than I had claimed. In fact.... 4 or 5 fellas have actually bought an ADDITIONAL PJ2 super to stow away JUST in case something were to happen to their beloved gem - or if for some wacky reason Simpson were to stop making them, etc. In fact..... I want to, and plan on eventually buying another PJ2 super to have as a backup.

To each their own.... but whether you like soft brushes, firm brushes, soap brushes, or cream brushes.... you'd be hard pressed NOT to like the PJ2 super.

Joel,

I'll be ordering a Simpson PJ2 Super this week! Your positive feedback has been instrumental (OK, 99.5% :biggrin: ) in finalizing my decision to go with this brush.

Also, I'll be sure to say hello to Lee for you, as I'll be buying the lion's share of my wetshaving supplies from him at the same time (i.e., along with the PJ2).

Thanks for your very much appreciated, helpful advice and tremendous enthusiasm. :smile:

Very Best Regards,

-Clive

My PJ3 Super felt too stiff and also seemed larger than I wanted. So I returned it unused and got a PJ2 Best, which I used this morning and like a lot. YMMV.

Michael,

Sorry to hear the PJ3 was too stiff, but you swapped it for a PJ2 Best and are happy - which is all that counts! :thumbup:

Was wondering... Do Simpson brushes (any of 'em) get softer over time?

-Clive

Clive,

Thought I would just report back on my newly acquired PJ2 Best. I have only used it twice now. I used the PJ2 Sunday morning with Art of Shaving Lavender cream, and it did a great job at producing a nice lather. I used it again tonight with Tabac soap, and I must say that it produced some of the richest, creamiest Tabac lather I have experienced, and in record time. But one must keep in mind that Tabac is, at least for me, one of the easiest soaps to lather, so the real test will be with some soaps which require a little more work.

The PJ2 Best tips also feel soft to my face, while the shafts seem to retain their 'stiffness'. My ShaveMac Silvertip, on the other hand, may feel a tiny bit more luxurious [a very subjective term when it comes to wetshaving] but I am very pleased with both the feel and the performance of the PJ2 Best.

As I stated in an earlier post, stating that one of my brushes is better than the other, as a broad, generalized statement, would be totally inaccurate. Each one seems to be good or better at certain things, and all have different 'feels' which appeal to me according to different 'shaving moods' and/or the cream or soap I am using for that particular shave.

Just like scores of other wetshavers, I really believe my PJ2 will turn out to be a winner. :wink:

In a haze of exhaustion, I ordered a PJ1 in best. My PJ3 super is ok, I am too much a contrarian to get a PJ2, so I figured why not a PJ1. (also have a Tulip 3). I'll be curious to see just which Simpson bristle arrives this time.

You know the SBAD is terminal when you keep buying brushes you aren't even that fond of, just to test them out.... :001_unsur

Scotto said:
In a haze of exhaustion, I ordered a PJ1 in best. My PJ3 super is ok, I am too much a contrarian to get a PJ2, so I figured why not a PJ1. (also have a Tulip 3). I'll be curious to see just which Simpson bristle arrives this time.

You know the SBAD is terminal when you keep buying brushes you aren't even that fond of, just to test them out.... :001_unsur

Are there any 'foundations' or 'organizations' out there doing research on medication for a cure? :a16: Maybe somebody can get a government grant to study this stuff! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Maybe even a telethon!

Scotto said:

Just as a heads up.... small simpsons in best badger don't seem to work as well as the supers. Don't get me wrong - simpson best ain't bad at all, but in their smaller brushes, they don't seem to hold as much water. For a PJ3 - I don't think it would make too much of a difference (performance wise) - but for a 1... it might.

Come on Scotto..... try the PJ2 super and be done with it! :biggrin:

Ok Joel, after all your raves..... I finally caved in and a PJ2 in super is coming soon from Lee. This place is dangerous!:wink:
Cheers, DJ.

Dinder1 said:
Ok Joel, after all your raves..... I finally caved in and a PJ2 in super is coming soon from Lee. This place is dangerous!:wink:
Cheers, DJ.

DJ,
Betcha it becomes yer favorite shaving brush :wink:

I sold my Chubby 3 and ordered a PJ2 Super from Lees today. In the meantime, I have a Casswell and Massey large badger Im using. Can hardly wait for the PJ2

Doug

Ron -- Congratulations!!! I'm *REALLY* happy for you, having just 'tuned-in' to B&B & avidly pouring over the late-breaking NewsFlash surrounding your latest acquisition: the exemplary Simpson PJ2 Best. I'm v-e-r-y glad to hear how well it's performing for you.

BTW, that word ("Tabac") keeps popping-up in the Big 3 wetshaving forums, so there's got to be 'something' to it. Maybe I'll order a tube (or tub) and see what that 'something' is....:laugh:

Just like scores of other wetshavers, I really believe my PJ2 will turn out to be a winner. :wink:
Indeed!

It's reassuring to hear such positive feedback from you and the growing number of others who've taken the 'Simpson Plunge' before me. There's safety in numbers, dontchaknow... :biggrin:

Another name that's left an (indelible) impression on me is ShaveMac (listed, more often than not, with the esteemed Silvertip suffix). Wetshaving folks repeatedly express their affection for these brushes in no uncertain terms. I'm inclined to believe them. They're some mighty fine looking brushes, to be sure!!! Guess I'll 'have' to pick one up to alternate with the PJ2. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Which model number ShaveMac do you own, Ron?

It certainly looks like the PJ2 is beginning to pick up momentum among the gents here at B&B. Yours Truly can't wait to join 'em!!!

Wishing All a Great 'Wetshaving Day'. :shaving:

-Clive

Hammond_B-3 said:
Ron -- Congratulations!!! I'm *REALLY* happy for you, having just 'tuned-in' to B&B & avidly pouring over the late-breaking NewsFlash surrounding your latest acquisition: the exemplary Simpson PJ2 Best. I'm v-e-r-y glad to hear how well it's performing for you.

BTW, that word ("Tabac") keeps popping-up in the Big 3 wetshaving forums, so there's got to be 'something' to it. Maybe I'll order a tube (or tub) and see what that 'something' is....:laugh:

Indeed!

It's reassuring to hear such positive feedback from you and the growing number of others who've taken the 'Simpson Plunge' before me. There's safety in numbers, dontchaknow... :biggrin:

Another name that's left an (indelible) impression on me is ShaveMac (listed, more often than not, with the esteemed Silvertip suffix). Wetshaving folks repeatedly express their affection for these brushes in no uncertain terms. I'm inclined to believe them. They're some mighty fine looking brushes, to be sure!!! Guess I'll 'have' to pick one up to alternate with the PJ2. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

It certainly looks like the PJ2 is beginning to pick up momentum among the gents here at B&B. Yours Truly can't wait to join 'em!!!

-Clive

Euhh, the big 3? Isn't it just B&B and SMF??:confused:

Frederik,

You're undoubtedly correct, however . . . at my present wetshaving level (an ultra-Newbie if there ever was one) EVERY wetshaving site looks 'BIG'! :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Best Regards,

-Clive

Hammond_B-3 said:
Frederik,

You're undoubtedly correct, however . . . at my present wetshaving level (an ultra-Newbie if there ever was one) EVERY wetshaving site looks 'BIG'! :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Best Regards,

-Clive

In America, (almost) everything is bigger.:smile:

Clive,

Did you get my PM concerning your questions on this post? I didn't want to hijack this thread talking about other brushes and soaps, so I just sent you a Private Message. Please let me know.

Hammond_B-3 said:

Indeed!

-Clive

Top Bottom