What's new

Simpson PJ2 -or- PJ3: Best or Super?

PottyDoctor said:
Peter,

Depending on how the PJ2 Best evaluation goes, I already have the Duke Best on my radar screen as well. And then there's the need to add the Savile Row 3122 and 3124, so that my little Savile Row 3120 won't be so lonesome. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I need a ShaveMac Finest to be able to compare it to my ShaveMac Silvertip. And that my friend is my list! :cool:

I just remembered, I don't have any Kents!!! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
Don't forget to order a Shavemac in Pure as well, for those days that you want a little more scrub.
Cheers, DJ.

If anyone does not mind, but about what does a PJ2 in super/best cost? I ran across some at EMSPlace and they were about $154/$114 respectively. Does this sound about right or can a better deal be had elswhere?

Also, what justifies the cost difference between a Shavemac 21mm knot in silvertip/finest VS. a PJ2 super/best? Assuming similar imitation ivory handles for both. Are Simpson's really that much better???

Thanks!

AandW said:
Are Simpson's really that much better??? Thanks!

I dont think they are.
Although I havent tried the PJ2, I have the CH1 best and several Shavemacs. The CH1 is a great brush. By far the stiffest, which I like because a major point for me in using a brush is to get some scrubbing action without being scratchy. I also prefer brushes that dont bloom too much and retain their shape over the long haul. This, the Chubby has done although it does lose a few hairs now and then.

The Shavemacs are also great brushes. They arent as stiff as the CH1 but they arent floppy either. Although they are softer than the Chubby, they maintain their shape very well and neither of them has lost one hair that I have seen.

Its personal preference, but I think the fact that neither of my Shavemacs has lost any hair as opposed to the Simpson being pretty regular about it says something. I still like the Simpson and wouldnt part with it because its a very functional brush, but I wouldnt stack it against a Shavemac for longevity.

Bruce,

Check with Lee at Lee's Razors. I believe his price is $145 with shipping. That may have changed since I ordered my PJ2 a few months ago.

Randy

After reading & digesting all of your many fine comments, it's safe to say that my brain is now on the verge of badger-hair meltdown.

So, in light of my imminent reckless purchase . . .

I thought it appropriate to recite the main theme from the Badger & Blade's popular Blues Standard, the "Simpson Shaving Brush Lament":

"If owning a PJ2 (in Super) is wrong, then I don't wanna be right!" :thumbup1:

PD Ron -- Sure enjoyed reading about your original plan ('I wanted to buy JUST ONE shaving brush.'), however I find myself identifying more and more with your subsequent, slippery-slope descent into the abyss mindset (I just had to get that one in, Peter). Also (Ron), I believe we just might share a common trade qualification (CA Contr. No.: 689458). :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I *hope* you're wrong, Larry C.........and maybe (just maybe!) there might actually be (a state of) single shaving brush nirvana.

I'm not holding my breath, however...:eek:

Until next time.......

Cheers! :shaving:

-Clive

AandW said:
If anyone does not mind, but about what does a PJ2 in super/best cost? I ran across some at EMSPlace and they were about $154/$114 respectively. Does this sound about right or can a better deal be had elswhere?

Also, what justifies the cost difference between a Shavemac 21mm knot in silvertip/finest VS. a PJ2 super/best? Assuming similar imitation ivory handles for both. Are Simpson's really that much better???

Thanks!
Nope.

Better? Dunno. Stiffer. Yes. (If you get super - don't know about best). Wondering, though, if a Shavemac Pure might be as stiff as a Simpson Super, at the other end of the price scale?

moses said:
Better? Dunno. Stiffer. Yes. (If you get super - don't know about best). Wondering, though, if a Shavemac Pure might be as stiff as a Simpson Super, at the other end of the price scale?

Moses,

I think I am tending to agree with you and Scotto on this issue. I was also thinking along the same lines as you as far as getting a Shavemac in FINEST rather than SILVERTIP to give both the qualities of density, that Shavemacs appear to be known for, and the stiffness of the Simpson's. I am sure the PJ2 may still be a tad stiffer. However, along those lines of thinking, I can get TWO Shavemacs in Finest for the price of ONE PJ2 in Super. I also read a pretty good review by Scotto regarding Shavemac Finest brushes and I think that may be the way to go.

AandW said:
Moses,

I think I am tending to agree with you and Scotto on this issue. I was also thinking along the same lines as you as far as getting a Shavemac in FINEST rather than SILVERTIP to give both the qualities of density, that Shavemacs appear to be known for, and the stiffness of the Simpson's. I am sure the PJ2 may still be a tad stiffer. However, along those lines of thinking, I can get TWO Shavemacs in Finest for the price of ONE PJ2 in Super. I also read a pretty good review by Scotto regarding Shavemac Finest brushes and I think that may be the way to go.
Shavemac also has some beautiful options as far as the handles go as well...

S

Sam

I have a Silvertip Shavemac and a Chubby 1 in best. I squeezed the knots together and I promise the hair coloring of each is the same. SO perhaps Simpsons Best is the same hair as the Shavemac SUper/Silvertip. One thing you can ask Bernd to do, so you can have the softness of the Silvertip in Shavemacs, is pay like $15 extra for a denser knot.

Sam

Bruce,

Somehow I have missed seeing Scotto's review. That said, I have a Shavemac finest and love it. Small 23 mm knot. (Shavemacs, I think, run kinda small, in that the shape makes them seam smaller for their knot size). It is very very soft, and at the same time, has enough density and firmness to push back. Very very nice stuff. It is NOT as stiff as Simpson Super though, by a fair amount.

Incidentally, the Shavemac website only seems to offer Finest in pretty small handle sizes, but if you want something bigger, just as Bernd to make one of the bigger brushes, but with Finest instead of silvertip.

AandW said:
Moses,

Yes, you can purchase 2 ShaveMac Finest brushes for the price of 1 Simpson PJ2. But, it will still leave you wondering what a PJ2 really feels like! :confused: :confused: :confused: The Simpson PJ2 is probably one of the most talked about and compared brushes on the forums and the more you continue to read about it, the more curious you will become about its feel and performance. And just like me and scores of others here, you will most likely cave in and buy one. Why? Because it really is true, "Resistance Is Futile!" :001_huh: :001_huh: :001_huh: As posted above, I just purchased and received my PJ2 Best this week, even though I already have a ShaveMac Silvertip, as well as a C&E Best, Savile Row SilverTip and a Vulfix Super [yes, it is only a small collection, but a start never the less].

You ask, "is your PJ2 Best that much better than your ShaveMac Silvertip?" I'm glad you asked. No! There, I said it! :eek: :eek: :eek: However, I didn't buy the PJ2 because it might be a better brush...I bought it because it would be different than my ShaveMac Silvertip [and my others]! And even before I bought the PJ2, I had a ShaveMac Finest on my buy list...just because I knew it would be different also, and just so I could experience the differences myself and not have to just read about them all the time. The feel of various brushes on one's face is part of the luxury of wetshaving. Fidelity is required in marriage...not in wetshaving! :thumbup1:

Does any of that reasoning make sense? Absolutely not! :huh: :huh: :huh: But neither do my drawers full of creams and soaps...nor my 25 or 30 razors. None of this makes sense. I came here a little over a year ago looking for a cheap green rubber shave mug and a boar brush. I just recently got my boar brush...after several Badger brushes....and I still don't have my green rubber shave mug. :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: However, I do have several other shave mugs and a Moss Scuttle. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Ya' see what I mean? I've come to understand that it's not about buying the 'best brush' or the 'best razor' or 'the best anything' when it comes to wetshaving. It's all about variety! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

And there you have it. My definitive answer to the never ending PJ2 question! :lol:

Ron,

What a great post! :thumbup:

I've come to understand that it's not about buying the 'best brush' or the 'best razor' or 'the best anything' when it comes to wetshaving. It's all about variety!
How could anyone possibly argue with such profound, matter-of-fact, in-your-face, superlative logic, I ask you? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

A Shavemac Silvertip is most definitely on my must-have, short-list of shaving brushes. In fact, it was my very first choice. But then, I got bitten (u-know-where :laugh: ) by the Simpson PJ2 bug...and simply HAD to get it first, dontchaknow!

Sara e-mailed me recently with some wonderful news: a large cobalt blue Moss Scuttle is headed my way and will be arriving shortly!
Speaking of Moss Scuttles, I'd really enjoy hearing some feedback from other Scuttle owners out there...

I am so darned excited about receiving that infernal PJ2...what can I tell you?!?? EVERYTHING surrounding wetshaving is new to me at this point, and sharing/learning with & from all of you has been, and continues to be, priceless.

Thanks for lending me a helping hand.

Best Regards,

-Clive

PottyDoctor said:
Ya' see what I mean? I've come to understand that it's not about buying the 'best brush' or the 'best razor' or 'the best anything' when it comes to wetshaving. It's all about variety! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

And there you have it. My definitive answer to the never ending PJ2 question! :lol:

Potty Doctor,

Now you've gone and done it. You make complete sense to me. I MUST GET A PJ2! I MUST GET A SHAVEMAC! I MUST GET A PLISSON! I MUST, I MUST, I MUST!!!

My wife is going to kill me.

As a Potty Doctor, did you not take the Hippocratic Oath???

"I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect".:biggrin:

Clive,

I have a large moss scuttle and it was one of the reasons I ended up purchasing the PJ2. Many people will tell you to whip up your lather in another bowls and just rest your brush in the scuttle between passes, and while this is sound advice, I enjoy whipping my lather up in the scuttle itself so that I can have more than just the lather in my brush stay warm for the whole process. This proved impossible with the other brushes I had (30mm shavemac, and the SR-204), so looking for a brush that was small, maneuverable, and had the great combination of stiff yet soft on the face. The PJ2 has been perfect for that. I've been whipping up creams and soaps in my scuttle all week, and I'm probably going to have to talk myself into going back to the shavemac and savile row occasionally. Of course I may just have to end up getting a 23mm shavemac PJ instead :001_tongu

One thing to remember is to make sure the water you put in the scuttle isn't super hot. I was pouring boiling water in there at first, and when I was plopping in my brush between passes, the lather was evaporating. I'd keep the water around 150-160 (hot enough that you can put your hand in without burning it, but not comfortably).

I'm proud of you guys...................:biggrin: More brushes, even more brushes.....just only more.....more.... MOREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's the right spirit, the only possible spirit..........

Follow me into the SBAD Abyss....i'm way ahead of you but just look at the light i'm beaming to you......follow me.........follow meeeeeeeeee.......:biggrin:

Peter

I have bought 3 brushes in the past two weeks, and just ordered a couple more. You must be poisoning the water, DrP....

More poison into the water, :devil: :devil: :devil: : my Avatar: biggest brush in the world, vs smallest: Vulfix #38 and vintage Simpsons Wee Scot:

proxy.php

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

drP

drP,

That huge brush looks like the size of a wine bottle next to that tiny Wee Scott. How do you wield that thing around? It looks to big to use.

Chris

SLider - I really appreciate your Moss Scuttle discussion, especially the association between it and your PJ2! :smile: I'll be sure to keep in mind your caveat regarding the use of (too) hot water. Thanks!

Many people will tell you to whip up your lather in another bowl and just rest your brush in the scuttle between passes, and while this is sound advice, I enjoy whipping my lather up in the scuttle itself so that I can have more than just the lather in my brush stay warm for the whole process.
Happy to hear you've had good success at whipping-up lather inside the Scuttle, proper, for I had erroneously concluded - from reading so many opinions to the contrary - that a lathering bowl is required for the job. I'm anxious to give your method a shot, once my Scuttle eventually shows up. BTW, I ordered it on September 6th, so it SHOULD be here any day now, right?!?? :confused:

Peter - The photo of your Vulfix #38 dwarfing the Simpsons Wee Scott is pretty darned awesome! (the TRUE sense of the term). It reminds me of an advertisement for Spyware Doctor (e.g., Page 57 in the October 2006 Edition of Computer Shopper), wherein a Great Dane is looking down (waaaay down) at a teeny-weeny little dog (breed unknown). :smile:

BTW, when I look closely into the reflection cast on the Vulfix #38 in the same photo, I see what appears to be four 1-inch thick Lexan windows....across from what appears to be a grillwork of heavy-duty (cold-rolled steel?) metallic bars. Might this be the inside of a PADDED CELL? :ohmy: For that's where they'd place ME if I even HINTED that I owned 92 shaving brushes!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Happy Wetshaving! :shaving:

-Clive

Top Bottom