What's new

Simpson Major LE?

Was researching majors this morning and came across the pic below. Man they look nice! Anyone have pics of other LE majors? I may have to email Mark and some inspiration couldn’t hurt! 🤣

106E102E-DE15-439A-BBF2-428CC1CD9117.jpeg

The Major could be a beautiful brush but beware.

My Major in Super became a profuse shedder after about 35 uses as it was only used when traveling. Because it was more than a year old Simpson would do nothing other than offer a 10% discount on a new brush. I also looked into having it re-knotted but the knot is not a size that a reputable brush maker can get.

I’m truly disappointed because the size and design are ideal for traveling but at between $4 and $5 dollars per use, it is a purchase that I regret.

Thanks for your feedback. I read the thread related to your Major when I was researching. I haven’t noticed a trend of Majors shredding so I assume it was something related to that specific brush, which I’m sure sucked.

I’ve had nothing but good experiences with Mark and Simpsons myself. In my opinion offering a discount on a replacement even after the warranty had expired is pretty reasonable.

I have the Kent version of this travel brush and it is excellent. It hasn’t shed and was only about $70.

Just throwing this out there…

The Major could be a beautiful brush but beware.

My Major in Super became a profuse shedder after about 35 uses as it was only used when traveling. Because it was more than a year old Simpson would do nothing other than offer a 10% discount on a new brush. I also looked into having it re-knotted but the knot is not a size that a reputable brush maker can get.

I’m truly disappointed because the size and design are ideal for traveling but at between $4 and $5 dollars per use, it is a purchase that I regret.

Have you asked Mark how much it would cost for them to reknot the brush for you?

Have you asked Mark how much it would cost for them to reknot the brush for you?
With shipping and currency exchange it doesn’t make sense. 50 lbs converts to about $69 and shipping each way almost doubles it to about $130 for a $150 brush that I might be able to buy at 10 to 20% off when one of the majors like WCS or Maggards has a sale. Also my confidence in Simpson is shaken. Of my more than a dozen brushes only the Simpson brushes lose any hairs. The Classic 2 loses about 10 a shave and the Duke 3 loses a few each shave. Only the Chubby 1 and the Wee Scot don’t shed. In contrast, 3 Rudy Vey brushes (2 with Shavemac knots and one with a Manchurian knot), one Shavemac and one Omega rarely if ever lose a single hair.

A non-shedding Simpson is a great brush but I’m no longer willing to take the risk without a steep discount.

I have gone through the shampoo and comb regimen several times and will give it one more chance on my next trip later this week, but am also bringing my Wee Scot as backup.

With shipping and currency exchange it doesn’t make sense. 50 lbs converts to about $69 and shipping each way almost doubles it to about $130 for a $150 brush that I might be able to buy at 10 to 20% off when one of the majors like WCS or Maggards has a sale. Also my confidence in Simpson is shaken. Of my more than a dozen brushes only the Simpson brushes lose any hairs. The Classic 2 loses about 10 a shave and the Duke 3 loses a few each shave. Only the Chubby 1 and the Wee Scot don’t shed. In contrast, 3 Rudy Vey brushes (2 with Shavemac knots and one with a Manchurian knot), one Shavemac and one Omega rarely if ever lose a single hair.

A non-shedding Simpson is a great brush but I’m no longer willing to take the risk without a steep discount.

Definitely not worth it.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I have a non-LE Major that I used as a travel brush. A Tulip 1 or Tulip 2 in a pill bottle spanks the Major easily as far as function goes.

Very True. Going with the Major is definitely a choice influenced by form in addition to function, otherwise I would just poke some holes in the top of an old pill bottle and bring my Duke 3 with me everywhere.

But then I wouldn’t have an excuse for a new brush...although I already have a Case so do I have an excuse?...has that ever stopped any of us?

A hopeful update. After about 10 shampoo and comb treatments, I used my brush three times on a trip. It has not stopped shedding but it is now losing hairs at a more manageable pace. Hopefully I will be able to use this brush in the future.

Top Bottom