What's new

Simpson Keyhole K1 Versus Commodore X1?

I've been thinking about getting a smaller Simpson in Best, something around a 19mm knot. The two brushes I keep coming back to are the X1 and K1. I'm interested in the feel and "latheribility" of these brushes, not the price, I know the K1 is ~ $30 more. For the people who've used both these brushes how did they compare? I'm familiar with Simpson's Best hair, one of my go to brushes is a Duke 3.

Thanks.

These are two models which don't get a lot of airplay. Sorry that I am unable to answer your question, but I am also interested in hearing from owners of these brushes.

BTW- I would be sorely tempted to buy the KH just for the sake of the handle alone!

I am not personally familiar with either you are thinking about but can say that the Duke 1 and Case are both 19mm knots and I have both of those brushes if you want to expand out your 19mm knot search.

Both are exception to the point that I am unable to choose which one stays and which one goes (yet)

SimpsonsCaseDuke 1
Loft42 mm46 mm
knot19 mm19 mm
Handle42 mm39 mm
Total Height85 mm85 mm

proxy.php

I've looked at the Duke 1 and Case and the reason I'm leaning toward the K1 and X1 are the handles. I'm hoping to find out if one of the knots is significantly denser or more of a bulb or fan shape.

Last edited:
I've looked at the Duke 1 and Case and the reason I'm leaning toward the K1 and X1 are the handles. I'm hoping to find out if one of the knots is significantly denser or more of a bulb or fan shape.

I'm having a similar quandary as yours. I looked at the K1 and X1 due to the handles but I'm leaning towards getting a colonel. I've seen many before/after on the bloom and the handle is sexy.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Danny, the keyhole is a great shape and it fits perfectly in the hand. I think, this one, together with a PJ and Polo are the most comfortable to hold brushes. Just made some 100 for the 2012 LE, and got a lot of very possible feedback on the ergonomics of this handle.

I would say go with the KH. We hardly ever hear about it.

This was the only Simpsons Key Hole I have owned and since it was NOS I did not have the heart to put it to lather so I sold it as NOS to someone with more chutzpah than me and I hope they are enjoying it

proxy.php

I really like the Keyhole handle. I had a Beaufort which has a similar handle, too bad it doesn't come in best.

I haven't had a Commodore and can't compare, but have had a KH2 (and sold it) and currently have a Somerset KH4. I didn't like the KH2 because the knot was too small for me, and it did not strike me as particularly dense. At the time, my only other Simpson was a 57. I absolutely agree that the ergonomics of the handle are excellent.

I do have an X1 but can't compare to the KH...The X1 is a small but very satisfying brush and the handle shape is very ergonomic. I am really into small brushes and to be frank; if there was an X0 out there I would give it a try as well. The knot is not overly dense, at least to Simpson standards, but I honestly wouldn't want more density in a small brush. The combination of knot, loft and density is well balanced and it is the nicest badger in my collection.

I have to admit though that I am more of a boar than a badger guy, but this one is a stayer nonetheless.

I had a X1 and it was a nice face lathering little brush. The knot had a great hybrid shape and the density was actually pretty good. Really the big question is if you think the handle feels good in your hand.

Top Bottom