What's new

Simpson, I hate you #SBAD #BAD #MAD

There's a RazoRock Keyhole ....?!

Heading over there. Thanks.

AA

The fact that I re-knotted mine will tell you what my opinion of the original knot is...

It's also not as pretty as the Simpson Keyhole handle by a fair margin, but then the whole brush costs $10, so what do you expect?!? I'll be attempting my own crisp geometry keyhole handle when the weather is warm again (my lathe gets set up out on the driveway in good weather, since I have no easily cleaned indoor workshop space).

Practically identical...

P3050014smcrp.JPG

Hey, was your B6 super stinky initially? Mine landed today and I soaked it a couple of times and used it and it is the stinkiest Simpson brush I have received.

Excellent brush though. Pretty similar in size to my M7s.

Yes to the "funk", but it's definitely fading with repeated use.

How does the Silvertip 2 compare to the 3 band Super 2 and Manchurian 2?

The Chubby 3 Super has the thinnest hairs of them all, but as the Chubbys are built for face lathering, Simpson compensates this with superrich density to achieve a truly solid backbone. Much more density with Simpson's Super than with their Best, it's not only the hair grade / softness, it's also the density between Super and Best, which makes out for a huge difference.

Of course all Chubbys are tightly packed with hair, but the Silvertip brings a thicker hair into the mix, so it has more backbone.
The Manchurian has the thickest hair of them all and as expected gives the most rigidity.

The Super has the softest hair, the Silvertip has the softest tips.

It's tips are even even more tender on the skin and while Super feels already like luxury when you meet, Silvertip's tips feel like decadence. With it's the underlying stability due to thickness and density, experiencing these tips instantly feels like magic.

The Manchurian ... for face lathering and so for working water into the soap and building the lather is just the über-pro-tool.
It has the most efficient flow-through and from the first stroke you know that his Manchurian badger is not kidding, so determined it is. Resolute like a strict mother, but a mother, you know, she loves you, so her hands, ahem, the tips of the Manchurian are forgiving at the same time.
If I would splay or swirl, I could do so with the Manchurian still after two passes, when the skin is more sensitive then. However for those with delicate skin conditions I would recommend Super or Silvertip. With painting and swirling all of them are fine anyway.

--

And here's a new picture with the Chubby 2 Silvertip I took yesterday to celebrate my new Windsor Pro from @Above The Tie :

210307_14013-Above-The-Tie_Windsor-Pro_Chubby2STBS.jpg

Last edited:

linty1

My wallet cries.
Those Chubbys with the butterscotch handles are really nice, I have been combing around for a used one. Just beautiful.

Here's some Chubby-fun.

To give an idea about it's lovely size, I placed my Ivory Chubby 3 on the lid from a Tabac bowl. As Tabac is so popular I thought this is something many can relate to.

Bloom:

210322_14064-AboveTheTie-Windsor_Simpson-Chubby3SIV.jpg

And splay:

210322_14061-AboveTheTie-Windsor-Pro_Simpson-Chubby3SIV.jpg

I want to note, that the handle is a replacement which Shavemac kindly made to restore my broken Chubby 3's one and save the knot. Dimensions are the same, the upper section and the engraving differ minimally from the original as the Simpson aficionados among you probably have noted. I had shown my original Chubby 3 Super before I managed to damage it above in #186 here.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Here's some Chubby-fun.

To give an idea about it's lovely size, I placed my Ivory Chubby 3 on the lid from a Tabac bowl. As Tabac is so popular I thought this is something many can relate to.

Bloom:

View attachment 1240798

And splay:

View attachment 1240799

I want to note, that the handle is a replacement which Shavemac kindly made to restore my broken Chubby 3's one and save the knot. Dimensions are the same, the upper section and the engraving differ minimally from the original as the Simpson aficionados among you probably have noted. I had shown my original Chubby 3 Super before I managed to damage it above in #186 here.

That really IS a massive brush, thanks.

🤔 I've got Chubby 2 Super and it's only very, very large!

AA

Which one is your favourite?

I have not used the 2 band silvertip yet as I am predicting it will be my favorite based on other brushes with that hair. I used the Manchurian last night and confirmed it has that characteristic Manchurian hair. Significant backbone with lots of scrub but minimal scritch. Super is the cloud it’s supposed to be. So these two brushes are equally nice but in completely different ways and really depends on what you want. Odds are I would reach for the super more often as I prefer the cloud feeling more often.

With that in mind, my preference would be:

2 band silvertip (predicted)
Super
Manchurian
Best
Synthetic.

the synthetic really didn’t appeal to me. I may try it again to make sure my opinion hasn’t changed but I doubt it.

Added two more to my collection today. I’ve been meaning to add the 2 Band Chubby 2 for a while and finally pulled the trigger. Added the Manchurian because...why not?

View attachment 1240908
View attachment 1240909
My Simpson collection is growing, so I only pulled out the Chubby 2 siblings for this picture.
Ohhhh. Nice! Both look great.

I think the red was the handle I was going to buy but it didn’t look as nice in the pic Simpson sent. Not surprising as all of their pics are fairly terrible. I ended up getting the dark green (jade) Chubby 2 in 2-band. It shipped today. 👍

I have not used the 2 band silvertip yet as I am predicting it will be my favorite based on other brushes with that hair. I used the Manchurian last night and confirmed it has that characteristic Manchurian hair. Significant backbone with lots of scrub but minimal scritch. Super is the cloud it’s supposed to be. So these two brushes are equally nice but in completely different ways and really depends on what you want. Odds are I would reach for the super more often as I prefer the cloud feeling more often.

With that in mind, my preference would be:

2 band silvertip (predicted)
Super
Manchurian
Best
Synthetic.

the synthetic really didn’t appeal to me. I may try it again to make sure my opinion hasn’t changed but I doubt it.
The synthetic Ch2 does get better with time. I did not like mine at all when I first got it. It is better than tolerable now, but it is seemingly breaking in a bit with every shave.

Top Bottom