What's new

Simpson, I hate you #SBAD #BAD #MAD

To Chubby 1, or not to Chubby 1, that is the next question (and then Super or best?)

can't go wrong with a CH1S. I bought one and a spare right around the vulfix acquisition and it's a solid, dense but super luxurious little guy. The more I use the dense chubbies with the 3 band super hair, the more I appreciate just how "super" this hair really is. At $129 from 'rossa it's a no brainer. I've got a spare already, otherwise I'd be clicking the "buy now".

I just bought a Chubby 1 Super. I only have had one shave with it, but I can say it is an awesome brush. I think it might become my favorite brush—I have six other Simpson brushes as well.

Is Super worth it? There is a difference, IMO, from the Best. I think the difference between Super and Best is slight, however—because the Best is so good to begin with. $129 for Chubby 1 Super is a really good deal. It’s the lowest price I’ve seen since I started traditional shaving.

No Chubby yet, but there is a Commodore 3 on the way. With a suggested knot diameter of 24mm and 46mm height, this falls in line with the ultra low loft ratios of the Classic series. Should be interesting...

Update on the origin of this post:

The Tulip 1 Silvertip is in the regular rotation, I've definitely overcome the fact that it's small and learned to enjoy it for what it is; which is a great little brush with a near perfect combination of scrub and cush, that holds an improbable amount of lather and a unique handle.

Very glad that I bought it!

Update on the origin of this post:

The Tulip 1 Silvertip is in the regular rotation, I've definitely overcome the fact that it's small and learned to enjoy it for what it is; which is a great little brush with a near perfect combination of scrub and cush, that holds an improbable amount of lather and a unique handle.

Very glad that I bought it!

Need photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, the Commodore 3 that arrived today is right between my Colonel and Tulip 3 as far as both loft and splayed top width (so far; of course it might splay out a bit more with continued use), the density is similar to my T3, though the hair is both softer at the tips and a bit less springy. My 9 or 10 year old made in England Colonel is denser than either and softer too.

I'll be shaving with it tomorrow morning and will report back with "on the face" impressions... there's only so much you can learn from test lathers.

I own a Chubby 2 Manchurian, a Polo 8 Super Badger, a S1 in Best Badger and a S1 in Pure Badger. My last one is a Commodore X3 in Best Badger.

I think the Commodore X3 in Best badger is the BEST value for money brush. All other Simpsons in 24mm knot are priced more than 50%.

I do like my other brushes (i.e Shavemac DO1 2 Band) but Simpsons makes me addict.

Interestingly, the X3 is actually pretty darned scrubby on the face... this isn't a bad thing for me, just a surprise when it felt so soft doing test lathers and drying afterward. It also has a denser feel on the face than the results of pinching the knot to feel dry density had indicated. It stays a bit more compact on the face than the Tulip 3, more like my Duke 2 or 56.

So if you like a medium large, fairly dense and somewhat scrubby brush the Commodore 3 is probably going to be a favorite and the $60 price tag makes it comparatively painless to try.

This one shed at least 20 hairs when fanning the knot dry and during the multiple test lathers afterward, but all of them were the kind with a thicker tip and *very* thin base. I think they were all "floaters" that weren't actually glued when the knot was set ...and only one hair came out on the first real shave.

used a newly received X2 today,
and found it to be very good!

Higher loft and knot size than my only other Simpson: Berkeley.

Seems to sop-up a lot more lather than the 46.
Not quite as firm on the face.

handle ergonomics are pretty dang good.

My X1 (don't own an X2) at 21/46 has quite firm bristle, so it feels rather compact, despite having a comparatively tall knot (only by Simpson small brush standards) and my 20/43 Berkeley is very dense and soft, almost as spready at the top as a Colonel (both of these brushes are supposed to nominally measure 19/44) . IIRC, the X2 has the tallest knot (by "suggested" base/height ratio) of the three Commodores.

If there is any one thing you can say with certainty about Simpson brushes, it's that the hair attributes and loft dimensions are variable!

Interestingly, the X3 is actually pretty darned scrubby on the face... this isn't a bad thing for me, just a surprise when it felt so soft doing test lathers and drying afterward. It also has a denser feel on the face than the results of pinching the knot to feel dry density had indicated. It stays a bit more compact on the face than the Tulip 3, more like my Duke 2 or 56.

So if you like a medium large, fairly dense and somewhat scrubby brush the Commodore 3 is probably going to be a favorite and the $60 price tag makes it comparatively painless to try.

This one shed at least 20 hairs when fanning the knot dry and during the multiple test lathers afterward, but all of them were the kind with a thicker tip and *very* thin base. I think they were all "floaters" that weren't actually glued when the knot was set ...and only one hair came out on the first real shave.

I have a couple dozen Simpson’s and never lost that many hairs. Must be a fluke.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I just bought a Chubby 1 Super. I only have had one shave with it, but I can say it is an awesome brush. I think it might become my favorite brush—I have six other Simpson brushes as well.

Is Super worth it? There is a difference, IMO, from the Best. I think the difference between Super and Best is slight, however—because the Best is so good to begin with. $129 for Chubby 1 Super is a really good deal. It’s the lowest price I’ve seen since I started traditional shaving.

The Chubby 1 Super is my #1 pick in a line-up of over 20 Simpsons. :yesnod:

I have a couple dozen Simpson’s and never lost that many hairs. Must be a fluke.

In my experience, it's the rare brush that doesn't shed at least a few hairs during the first few uses, though this is usually spread out over the first week or two of shaves. 20 to 30 hairs shed in total for a knot the size of the X3 doesn't concern me at all, so long as the trend doesn't continue (which it hasn't).

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Why, just this morning I reached for a Simpson brush myself!

G3 2 BandW ivory.jpeg

Same. I have 7 or 8 Simpsons badgers and only one has shed after the first use. That is my Special Pure and it shEd a hair or two for 3-4 shaves and hasn’t shed a single one since. I am pretty hard on my brushes as well.

Same. I have 7 or 8 Simpsons badgers and only one has shed after the first use. That is my Special Pure and it shEd a hair or two for 3-4 shaves and hasn’t shed a single one since. I am pretty hard on my brushes as well.

Yeah it’s usually 3 or 4 hairs on first use and then 0 or 1 after that.

Top Bottom