What's new

Simpson, I hate you #SBAD #BAD #MAD

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
What's the consensus between the current manchurian and 2 band silvertip? I just received the T1 in 2 band and it seems pretty good (maiden voyage will be later today or tomorrow). I can tell the knot is a little small for my tastes, but I knew that going in. Will make a great travel brush.

As predicted, I am looking at larger brushes again. Either another Chubby 2 or a Duke 3 in either 2 band silvertip or Manchurian hair. I have had one brush in manchurian years ago and I recall it having tons of backbone but just a bit too much scritch for my liking, so it was sold off. Are the current manchurian brushes still like this? Which hair type is softer?

I love the Manchurian for what it is, however if I had to choose between my Chubby 2 in Manchurian and my Chubby 2 in 2-Band SiLVERTiP, the 2-Band would take the win without a second thought. It's much more luxurious. The Manchurian is a scrub machine that eventually breaks in to softer tips which is what is fun about it. Still doesn't match the luxury of the 2-Band, however.

Everything is pointing me towards the Chubby 2 in 2 band silvertip. So far it is my favorite shape handle and the 2 band hair in the T1 is superb. Still need to try out the D3 in 2 Band and the M7 in Manchurian to see if I need to add any other combinations of hair and handle.

IMG_0831.jpg

Everything is pointing me towards the Chubby 2 in 2 band silvertip. So far it is my favorite shape handle and the 2 band hair in the T1 is superb. Still need to try out the D3 in 2 Band and the M7 in Manchurian to see if I need to add any other combinations of hair and handle.

View attachment 1174019

A beautiful collection!
Can you give me the dimensions of the Tulip1?
What is the diameter of the Tulip 1 handle at the bottom and top.

You guys own loads of simpsons! I have the chubby 3, but lately, it sheds about 10 hairs a shave, in spite of looking after it and 3 days between use. A high end Italian badger loses zero. Anyone else has trouble with bristle loss?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
You guys own loads of simpsons! I have the chubby 3, but lately, it sheds about 10 hairs a shave, in spite of looking after it and 3 days between use. A high end Italian badger loses zero. Anyone else has trouble with bristle loss?
I own 15 or 18 Simpsons badgers and I've never had one that sheds. Many will lose a hair or two on occasion, but I've never had one with a persistent problem. The advice I've seen people get here and from Simpsons is to thoroughly clean your brush and let it dry, and then to run a fine toothed comb through the knot to remove any loose hairs, and see if that clears things up.

I have a Duke 3 that's been shedding at least 5 hairs a shave for a couple of years now. I haven't noticed any difference in use, but it's annoying. I haven't exactly babied the brush though, to be fair.

Well then... Good deals have been showing up around the web lately, so I now have a PJ1 in Super and a Duke 2 in Best, with a Tulip 3 in Super arriving soon. Not to mention the Classic 1 and Chubby 2 synths.

BAD is real!

And so far none have unseated the Emperor 1.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
There's a very real reason* to fear these classic, tony, Victorian-era perfection brushes... But no reason to hate them.

AA

*if one gets in, it calls all its friends and family to the party... On your dime.... And they're coming from England.... And you'll have four of them in six weeks like I did... And be all like, "what's going on here in my shave den! 🤔 Who are all these British guys pushing the other brushes to the back?"

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Well then... Good deals have been showing up around the web lately, so I now have a PJ1 in Super and a Duke 2 in Best, with a Tulip 3 in Super arriving soon. Not to mention the Classic 1 and Chubby 2 synths.

BAD is real!

And so far none have unseated the Emperor 1.
Looks like you are doing your best to stage a coup! LOL

There's a very real reason* to fear these classic, tony, Victorian-era perfection brushes... But no reason to hate them.

AA

*if one gets in, it calls all its friends and family to the party... On your dime.... And they're coming from England.... And you'll have four of them in six weeks like I did... And be all like, "what's going on here in my shave den! 🤔 Who are all these British guys pushing the other brushes to the back?"
I only had a few Simpsons before finding B&B this summer. Now I have 7 as well as a Classic synthetic out for delivery and a M7 Synth on order. So 9 Simpsons and my other brushes are getting lonely.

I am taking Jan off for all shaving related purchases but Feb isn’t far away. I have a Duke 3, Classic and PJ1 (all Silvertips) and a M7 Manchurian currently sitting in my Simpsons shopping cart. I will likely buy the M7 and one of the smaller SiLVERTiPs and be done for a while. I think I actually mean it this time. 🤪

In my experience, it’s easy for Chubbies to get soap build up near the knot. Nine times out of ten, this is what’s causing bristle loss. It can be hard to get those densely packed knots clean. Every three months or so I clean my Chubby with vinegar or Borax.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only had a few Simpsons before finding B&B this summer. Now I have 7 as well as a Classic synthetic out for delivery and a M7 Synth on order. So 9 Simpsons and my other brushes are getting lonely.

I am taking Jan off for all shaving related purchases but Feb isn’t far away. I have a Duke 3, Classic and PJ1 (all Silvertips) and a M7 Manchurian currently sitting in my Simpsons shopping cart. I will likely buy the M7 and one of the smaller SiLVERTiPs and be done for a while. I think I actually mean it this time. 🤪
I am ordering these Simpson’s Brushes next week
Berkeley 46 Best
Special S1 Best
Duke 3 Best
Classic CL1 Best
Wee Scot Best
Colonel X2L Best
Case C1 Best, to add to my 4 that I already have:

Ch2 Super
Ch2 Synthetic
M7 Best
Duke 2 Best

Then I think I will be done for awhile

Berkeley 46 Best
Special S1 Best
Duke 3 Best
Classic CL1 Best
Wee Scot Best
Colonel X2L Best

Ch2 Super
Ch2 Synthetic
M7 Best
Duke 2 Best

Nice. I am also a huge Simpson Best fan.

Look at the Classic in Pure as well since you are going all in next week. 🤪 Seriously, for just over $20 it is worth checking out if you haven’t tried Simpson‘s Pure. I leave mine at the cottage. Surprisingly good brush for the price of a cheap synth.

Berkeley 46 Best
Special S1 Best
Duke 3 Best
Classic CL1 Best
Wee Scot Best
Colonel X2L Best

Ch2 Super
Ch2 Synthetic
M7 Best
Duke 2 Best

:001_huh:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Berkeley 46 Best
Special S1 Best
Duke 3 Best
Classic CL1 Best
Wee Scot Best
Colonel X2L Best

Ch2 Super
Ch2 Synthetic
M7 Best
Duke 2 Best

Whoa, go easy there now!

Reporting back on the PJ1, Duke 2 and Tulip 3

The Persian Jar 1 turns out to be a little less dense than my Emperor 1, as well as being slightly taller, so these attributes unfortunately work against the slightly wider knot diameter and add up to a knot that spreads significantly more and lacks the dense, compact face feel that I love in the little Emperor. Probably not a keeper, despite being a handle pattern I really like :(
This one's an easy pattern to turn though, so I can make my own PJ pattern brush with a knot that fits my tastes better.

Duke 2: Almost exactly the same knot dimensions as my 56, but with a bit less densely packed knot. The fatter rendition of the Berkeley 46 handle (I'm sure the Duke came first, but I owned a Berkeley before I owned a Duke), is nice in the hand, a good balance of large and easy to grip, without taking it to the extremes of the Chubby. Again, this knot feels a bit too loose to really scratch my Simpson's itch, though I do like the overall size and feel of the handle. Maybe a Duke 1, or a Duke 2 in Pure will be a future experiment.

The Tulip 3... it's big. It's also an amazing handle and despite not being all that dense when splayed on the face, the huge expanse of Super Badger makes for an enveloping cushiness, that is the very definition of luxurious. This one is bigger than I usually like and lacks any real massaging effect, but it's a keeper anyway!

Time to work up a den reduction post for the BST

To Chubby 1, or not to Chubby 1, that is the next question (and then Super or best?)

Top Bottom