What's new

Simpson Handles

I have a Duke 3 in best that I use most of the time that I’m very happy with. (I also have my great grandfathers M8, but that’s another story). I’ve always been interested in getting a simpson with some kind of natural material handle - horn, bone, wood, something cool like that.

I see horns ones pop up every now and then, but I think the only wooden handle I’ve ever seen was in this thread Simpson's Wood and Horn brushes - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/simpsons-wood-and-horn-brushes.425683/, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bone handle at least not a modern one.

Would love to see pics of any that folks might have if you’d like to share!

Don't have any access to my pictures atm for the stuff or the time to take pictures right now, but horn and wood are 2 materials I can think of for modern date right now that I have seen. I have a Duke 3 in Walnut I believe it is. The wood ones are indeed pretty rare. I never saw the photos and liked the knot on the Duke 3 when I saw one in the various BSTs. I keep forgetting to pick up some linseed oil for it as it could use some moisturizing.

Don't have any access to my pictures atm for the stuff or the time to take pictures right now, but horn and wood are 2 materials I can think of for modern date right now that I have seen. I have a Duke 3 in Walnut I believe it is. The wood ones are indeed pretty rare. I never saw the photos and liked the knot on the Duke 3 when I saw one in the various BSTs. I keep forgetting to pick up some linseed oil for it as it could use some moisturizing.
Wood love to see photos of the Duke 3 in walnut when you get a chance!

Okay here is a photo of it when I bought it. Not my own photo. I thought I had taken some, remembered you wanted one, and this is better than never getting one. Just not enough time to photo it, and it wouldn't look as nice as this anyhow.

Attachments

• duke 3 in walnut zac.jpg
    duke 3 in walnut zac.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 42
Okay here is a photo of it when I bought it. Not my own photo. I thought I had taken some, remembered you wanted one, and this is better than never getting one. Just not enough time to photo it, and it wouldn't look as nice as this anyhow.
Now that is a nice brush - grail brush material!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
To me the proportions of the wooden Simpson handles I have seen have never looked right. I have only seen photographs so perhaps they are nicer in the hand but I do not find them at all aesthetically pleasing compared to the regular resin handles.

To me the proportions of the wooden Simpson handles I have seen have never looked right. I have only seen photographs so perhaps they are nicer in the hand but I do not find them at all aesthetically pleasing compared to the regular resin handles.
I wonder why they used different shapes. Not sure if the material required it for some reason or not.

I believe they have done the M7 in real horn in the past. It never hurts to ask. I've never noticed a difference between wood and resin, but then I don't have a large sample variance to work with. It is entirely possible though.

Top Bottom