What's new

Simpson Gary Young Limited Edition teaser pic

My response was mainly towards people like Johnmets32, who seem to be saying that the brush is merely a change in handle color with a fancy signature. Would you agree with that statement?

I know you have a problem with the current management of Simpsons but I think it is going a little bit far to say that this brush is as simple as a change in handle color and a price increase. I think a little bit more went into it than that, which others in this thread have already explained.:

I would agree with you that it is a bit more then a handle color and a fancy name.

Knowing what I know now about resin stock and pricing (have done alot of research lately for a totally unrelated reason) prices do vary in Rod Stock...not widely... but they do vary.... there are also economies of scale. A small vendor buying in small lots, pays much more then a larger vendor buy larger lots. Please realize this is for all manufacturing...not just brushes... A fancy signature that you only get one place also can drive price.... but for me you don't shave with a signature...

All comments above are IMHO

I got one in the dark horn making it's way over, can't wait.

I once had Bernd quote me on a brush with a 24mm knot in all the hair grades he offered, same handle; the difference was astounding from low to highest. If one asks nicely, he has access to hair that is very expensive. Someone here once mentioned that Bernd has made water badger hair brushes for some of his exclusive clients and if you follow, you know how significantly more that can be for what is described as floppy hair.
So, in my very humble opinion, it's not the handle, but the hair and the type; not because of any magical properties, but because of it's rarity and such. Tony Miller, of strop making fame puts it best when talking about his horse skin strops; they are not any better in his opinion than the latigo ones, it's just that the materials are more expensive to acquire, add to it in this case, the weakness of the dollar and there you have it.

To me, this is an enthusiast's brush, it's not going to make any better lather than the cheapest brush I own, but it will look nice in the scuttle when it comes up in the rotation. Oh, yeah, this baby will get some use.

Last edited:
Well said Lou...I only wish they were producing it in a larger knot and I would have picked one up myself! Congrats on a most beautiful brush my friend!!

Agreed. It is amazing that some people will not address questions directed right at them but continue to come back and bash something.

The following quote by Flavio fits this situation perfectly.

@some guys:

read this novel , sound interest for U !! :thumbup:

attachment.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice brush..loft fairly densely packed, although i cannot see the specialty of this kind of badger. It's three band but i really can't discern it from other three band supers in my collection..

Furthermore i miss sthe sticker.. :( :wink:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice brush..loft fairly densely packed, although i cannot see the specialty of this kind of badger. It's three band but i really can't discern it from other three band supers in my collection..

I don't believe you should degrade your curent collection by keeping this stickerless brush with it. I'd be happy to help you out. Please PM me and you can send send this stickerless thing to me. I'll even reimburse you for postage .... to Taiwan.

--james

Peter that is certainly a gorgeous brush :001_wub:

What do you think of the handle material? Does the Rod stock feel "different" to you?

It's three band but i really can't discern it from other three band supers in my collection..

Nice pictures, Peter! You say it's not different but I haven't seen a three band super with those dark hairs going so high and almost no white tips. I see quite a few of them in there. Odd. Doesn't that change the feel of it? Seems like it would add a bit of scritch (though I'm only guessing)

Ken

Nice pictures, Peter! You say it's not different but I haven't seen a three band super with those dark hairs going so high and almost no white tips. I see quite a few of them in there. Odd. Doesn't that change the feel of it? Seems like it would add a bit of scritch (though I'm only guessing)

Ken

Well Ken, tell me what's the main difference in pattern between these two f.i.; the Simpson is maybe a tad less softer than the Thiers but that's all...

proxy.php

Beautiful brush Peter. This is the darker variant of the two released correct?! I like it :)

Sameer,

it's the lighter variant. I'll get the darker next Friday and i'll post a picture of both side by side.

Thanks Peter, your lighting threw me off, it appears quite dark in the picture. That Thiers has a bigger knot and a slightly taller loft? It's the first I've seen with a wood handle. Do you have any details as to where Thiers is sourcing their hair from? There was a brief discussion I recall regarding Thiers tying the knots in-house...I believe the conclusion was they were.

Sameer,

it's the lighter variant. I'll get the darker next Friday and i'll post a picture of both side by side.

Well Ken, tell me what's the main difference in pattern between these two f.i.; the Simpson is maybe a tad less softer than the Thiers but that's all...

I see your point, Peter. Those two do look very similar.... I'll have to take a closer look at mine but I've never noticed that before.

Like Sameer, I thought that was the darker one. Must just be the lighting.

Ken

Top Bottom