What's new

Simpson Emperor 3 - size comparison

Dear Sirs,

I am tempted to buy a Simpson Emperor 3 in Manchurian Badger, but I have no idea what to expect. Do any of you have thoughts or experiences with this brush you would like to share?

I currently own three Simpson brushes: a Chubby 1 in best, a Duke 3 in Silvertip and a Trafalgar T3. I would very much appreciate it if anybody could post a picture of an Emperor 3 next to any or all of these brushes for size comparison.

Thank you :)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I own a few Simpson Manchurian brushes but have never used an Emperor 3. One thing that stands out for me is the apparent high price relative to other Manchurian brushes. On the Simpson web site now the M7 is on sale at £175 with a 22mm by 50mm knot, the Captain 2 is on sale at £199.95 with a 24mm by 51mm knot, and the Emperor 3 is on sale at £199.95 with a 20mm by 50mm knot. The Emperor is not known, as far as I am aware, as an especially dense brush so, for me, it seems significantly overpriced. It will be a lovely brush I am sure but my preference for a longer handled brush would be the M7. I have a Chubby 1 and Duke 3 in Manchurian and I believe that the increased loft to knot ratio of the Emperor would yield much less backbone than either of those two brushes and would not suit me. Good luck with whatever you decide 👍

I own a few Simpson Manchurian brushes but have never used an Emperor 3. One thing that stands out for me is the apparent high price relative to other Manchurian brushes. On the Simpson web site now the M7 is on sale at £175 with a 22mm by 50mm knot, the Captain 2 is on sale at £199.95 with a 24mm by 51mm knot, and the Emperor 3 is on sale at £199.95 with a 20mm by 50mm knot. The Emperor is not known, as far as I am aware, as an especially dense brush so, for me, it seems significantly overpriced. It will be a lovely brush I am sure but my preference for a longer handled brush would be the M7. I have a Chubby 1 and Duke 3 in Manchurian and I believe that the increased loft to knot ratio of the Emperor would yield much less backbone than either of those two brushes and would not suit me. Good luck with whatever you decide 👍
You raise some valid points, Mr. Eclipse. But I do think the Emperor looks damn good. I would love to hear from somebody who owns one if they share your conserns about the lacking backbone.

I don’t have anything useful to add but I am interested to hear from Emperor 3 owners. I’ve always thought that it looked like a nice brush but I’ve never pulled the trigger. There’s always been something else a bit more tempting.

Simpson still offers some of the best knots imo. As Eclipse pointed out 20x50 will probably splay a lot even in a stiffer bristle.

Only suggestion of substance - occasionally Simpson brushes show up online at very attractive prices - it might have been Amazon. If you aren’t in a hurry, this might be a lower risk option. The Emperor is not common so hardly ever shows up on BST.

Having bought an Emperor 3 just before Christmas I may be able to help…

7C60D035-BEDF-4DC4-9877-798312EE19A3.jpeg

Not same sizes as your brushes but Chubby 2 and Duke 1 with Emperor 3.

The knot on the Emperor is Super Badger and definitely splays to a greater degree than the Chubby.

How I can’t say I find the super Badger particularly softer than the Duke in Best Badger.

Definitely a lot less prickly than the Chubby which has a huge amount of backbone owing to the density of the hairs and size.

Emperor handle is very comfortable to use, obviously longer and slender. Fits big hands like mine.

Hope this helps. Been on a Simpsons binge over the past few months… Emperor 3, Trafalgar T1, Duke 1, Special in pure Badger, Chubby and the Wee Scot. Hard to fault Simpsons brushes

Having bought an Emperor 3 just before Christmas I may be able to help…

View attachment 1421819
Not same sizes as your brushes but Chubby 2 and Duke 1 with Emperor 3.

The knot on the Emperor is Super Badger and definitely splays to a greater degree than the Chubby.

How I can’t say I find the super Badger particularly softer than the Duke in Best Badger.

Definitely a lot less prickly than the Chubby which has a huge amount of backbone owing to the density of the hairs and size.

Emperor handle is very comfortable to use, obviously longer and slender. Fits big hands like mine.

Hope this helps. Been on a Simpsons binge over the past few months… Emperor 3, Trafalgar T1, Duke 1, Special in pure Badger, Chubby and the Wee Scot. Hard to fault Simpsons brushes

Great comparison!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

One day I may get an Emperor to add to my own Simpsons stable.

I have the 3 Emperors. They are tall and slender, comfortable handle, they whip up lather in a bowl like an eggbeater. But their weakness is they are a little unwieldy to handle on the face, and they lack backbone. I suppose they are the opposite of Chubbies.

Top Bottom