What's new

Simpson Commodore X3 Best

Is it normal to have a brush for every day of the month?
If so i want them to be Simpson brushes, i have retired my Omega.

I could probably get my Simpsons to last at least a couple of weeks at one per day, especially if I included the Wee Scot and travel brushes. I'm not sure I've ever counted how many I've amassed.

I could probably get my Simpsons to last at least a couple of weeks at one per day, especially if I included the Wee Scot and travel brushes. I'm not sure I've ever counted how many I've amassed.
I looked at the Wee Scot but i would crush it with my huge hands :c1:

I looked at the Wee Scot but i would crush it with my huge hands :c1:

It's really on the verge of being a novelty brush...maybe it'd work better bowl lathering, but face lathering it really does have problems holding enough lather for a whole shave. It's a marvel of brushmaking, but it's not the most practical brush I own by a large margin. I love all my Simpsons to death, but I definitely wouldn't say that the Wee Scot is a necessary purchase.

Also, what we know as the Wee Scot used to be the Wee Scot 2, with the (now no longer produced) Wee Scot 1 being even smaller. I've heard that the final test of a Simpson's brushmaker in training back then was to tie a Wee Scot 1 knot. (All information I've gotten secondhand, so do take with an appropriate grain of salt.)

It's really on the verge of being a novelty brush...maybe it'd work better bowl lathering, but face lathering it really does have problems holding enough lather for a whole shave. It's a marvel of brushmaking, but it's not the most practical brush I own by a large margin. I love all my Simpsons to death, but I definitely wouldn't say that the Wee Scot is a necessary purchase.

Also, what we know as the Wee Scot used to be the Wee Scot 2, with the (now no longer produced) Wee Scot 1 being even smaller. I've heard that the final test of a Simpson's brushmaker in training back then was to tie a Wee Scot 1 knot. (All information I've gotten secondhand, so do take with an appropriate grain of salt.)
I admire those brushmakers, no way i could what they do

The Eagle in Best was only a limited edition in 2011-ish...generally, Eagle is only available in Pure.
I have an Eagle 3 in Best and likely bought it around 2011, maybe in 2012. It's a great brush. I tried one a few years ago in pure badger, didn't like it, and sold it quickly.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I like it, but I know I'm in a distinct minority. I often compare it to when I was a kid and I'd go barefoot all summer on Cape Cod. The first week or two was awful as I'd try to avoid each little stone on the road. But by the 4th of July I felt like I could walk through a field of thorns.

I wouldn't want to use Pure every day- in fact, I'm using it every day now during Lent- the seven week Christian season of penance prior to Easter. That sentence itself probably tells you all you need to know about Pure badger...

Pure Rooney pure G2 resze.jpg

I like it, but I know I'm in a distinct minority. I often compare it to when I was a kid and I'd go barefoot all summer on Cape Cod. The first week or two was awful as I'd try to avoid each little stone on the road. But by the 4th of July I felt like I could walk through a field of thorns.

I wouldn't want to use Pure every day- in fact, I'm using it every day now during Lent- the seven week Christian season of penance prior to Easter. That sentence itself probably tells you all you need to know about Pure badger...

View attachment 1239460
Yikes, i'll stick with Best then,maybe i will find a Best Eagle someday

Owen Bawn

The Eagle shape is relatively easy to find from other quality brushmakers. Paladin offers the "Moe" in 26 and 28mm, Brad Sears makes the "Gus," and I've seen photos of some exquisite Eagle shaped handles made by Mr Rudy Vey, an active member of this site.

The Eagle shape is relatively easy to find from other quality brushmakers. Paladin offers the "Moe" in 26 and 28mm, Brad Sears makes the "Gus," and I've seen photos of some exquisite Eagle shaped handles made by Mr Rudy Vey, an active member of this site.
I'll check those out thanks

Owen Bawn

For the budget conscious, Stirling has a take on the Eagle shape handle available in boar, badger, and even in synthetic bristle.

Top Bottom