What's new

Simpson Classic 2 Best Appreciation

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
In this degraded age I am happy that Simpsons still sell untreated brushes. I like rustic. Part of Simpsons charm is that they are natural, and natural means no two specimens are identical. I'm a guy whose best rifles are an M1 Garand and a mini 14, my bicycle is a Chiorda that I got used when I was 17, my hockey skates are CCM Tacks from around 1970, my snowshoes are 70 year old Army surplus wooden bear paws, my favorite XC skis are ancient wooden Lunds, and my alpine 'rock skis' are Head 360s ca 1960. I climbed mountains in NH with skins on those old Head skis for many years well into May to ski what people now call the 'back country.' We called them fire trails... People used to make fun of me for all my old junk until the hipsters discovered these things and drove the prices up.

You are the 2nd person to reference Chubby 0.5 for the Classic 2 (CL2), but the Simpson website states Chubby 1.5, unless I am reading this incorrectly. Either way, it makes no sense really.

The Chubby 1.5 reference I think is regarding the knot diameter of the Classic 2 (23mm) is bigger than the Chubby 1 (22mm).

Comparing my CL2 to Chubby 1s visually, I would say the CL2 is packed more tightly, unless that's the illusion of shorter loft of the Classic 2. Of course all brushes are different too. I used my CL2 this morning on a new MdC puck flush to the top of the container edge, and the mess and fuss was minimal. A great lathering experience both in picking up soap, building the lather and 2 x repeat passes.

I will likely use it as a work brush, or send it back and tell them to keep this as an example of what a Pure Badger looks and feels like. I do not feel like putting up a fight as they don’t seem to understand why I would be upset. Pretty bad customer service to be honest.

I do like the other Simpson Brushes I own (4 now), but that is likely it. I’ll go to other makers that are more consistent after this.

What Simpsons Pure Badger brush have you compared your Classic 2 with? I'd just get on with breaking that brush in, you might appreciate in due course and can then report back with your appreciations? I find the brushes evolve with time and usually get better.

In this degraded age I am happy that Simpsons still sell untreated brushes. I like rustic. Part of Simpsons charm is that they are natural, and natural means no two specimens are identical.

I doubt whether all Simpson brushes are untreated. I have a Simpson Chubby1 Super Badger with gel-like tips and it doesn't feel natural. It's a similar Chubby1 Super Badger as in this thread.

Advice on Simpson chubby 1 super badger | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)

I have also shown my Super Badger in this thread below and you can see the hair very well. The tips of the Super Badger are very scratchy and hooked in the dry state. When wet and lathered, the tips are very soft.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I doubt whether all Simpson brushes are untreated. I have a Simpson Chubby1 Super Badger with gel-like tips and it doesn't feel natural. It's a similar Chubby1 Super Badger as in this thread.

Advice on Simpson chubby 1 super badger | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)

I have also shown my Super Badger in this thread below and you can see the hair very well. The tips of the Super Badger are very scratchy and hooked in the dry state. When wet and lathered, the tips are very soft.
I am surprised and disappointed by that. I know and accept Simpson knots to be variable, especially in best, that for me is a part of their charm, but I cannot accept gel tips as a part of that variety. If it is only in the Super or 2 band SiLVERTiP range then that will not be a problem for me as I do not favour those grades. Do you know if gel tips have been observed in Best or Manchurian grade? If so then I will no longer be purchasing them if I cannot first inspect the brush.

I have a lot of Simpson brushes in different hair qualities, but so far only these two Chubby1 Super Badgers have caught my eye. I don't like gel tips and treated tips either, but Mark himself said in the thread that the hair would look absolutely fine.
Maybe it was just a slip and I hope it never happens again.
But I am not thrilled with my Chubby1 super badger.

PS- I still own 2 Northland Pro and one Victoriaville wooden hockey sticks. So yeah, I like Simpsons' natural badger in all its quirkiness.
Remember the Northlands with the coloured protective coating (Blue or red?) on the bottom of the blade? Different colour for different flex IIRC. I loved those sticks!

Vics were good but I preferred SherWoods back before aluminum Eastons and composites.

I love my Classic 2 in best, but it has started to lose 1 or 2 hairs each shave. Doesn’t sound like much, but none of my others shed hairs at all (except my two Chubby 2 brushes) but that is a story for another time! Is shedding 1 or 2 hairs a shave acceptable to you guys?

I love my Classic 2 in best, but it has started to lose 1 or 2 hairs each shave. Doesn’t sound like much, but none of my others shed hairs at all (except my two Chubby 2 brushes) but that is a story for another time! Is shedding 1 or 2 hairs a shave acceptable to you guys?
When that starts to happen, it can be a build up of soap in the base of the knot. It happens. Try giving it a 15 minute soak in Dawn, then a 15 minute soak in 4 to 1 water to white vinegar bath, then again with the 15 minute Dawn soak. Rinse well after each bath with warm water. The soap residue can dry out and start to rot the bristles deep in the knot if you don't rinse thoroughly after each use.

Thanks, I’ll try this again. I always rinse my brushes as well as I can. I washed them both before with dish soap and then the vinegar. When I next used them they shed even worse.
I’m going to wash them again thoroughly with borax and see what happens. Thanks!

Reactions: nav
I made a comment in another Simpson related thread this morning and mentioned that the Simpson Classic 2 Best rarely gets mentioned on B&B. I stumbled upon this little brush on the Simpson site after trying numerous Simpson brushes.

My first Simpson brush purchase was the Chubby 1 Best and found it too small. Next was the Chubby 2 Best and found it too big. I tried a few other Simpson brushes including the 57 Best, 46 Best, Duke 3 Best, Chubby 2 SiLVERTiP etc. All were very nice brushes and I could have easily settled with any one. When I say too big or too small, I'm talking handle size, knot width, height, density, and/or a combination of all of the above. I am pretty particular about brush size, so subtle nuances can make a big difference (you probably already knew this if you have bought more than one brush).

When reading up on the Simpson site, I noticed under the description of the Classic 2, "often referred to as the Chubby 1.5". This sounded like it was an ideal brush, so I made the purchase. What a great little brush the Classic 2 Best has turned out to be. It is excellent for face lathering, with density and backbone above its small size and fits in a little pill bottle as my travel brush. My other Simpson brush that I kept is the Duke 3 Manchurian at 3 times the cost of the Classic 2 Best. If someone is on a budget and wants a terrific Simpson brush, the Classic 2 Best is a great choice. I love my Duke 3 Manchurian, but I can say that my Classic 2 is not too far behind in what I prefer in a brush, which is good backbone, density, scrub, not scritch, not too large or small and good to hold in the hand while face lathering.

A couple of pics for your viewing pleasure. One next to the Duke 3 and the other in the pill bottle ready to travel.
View attachment 1231187
View attachment 1231186

There you have it, a little love the for the Simpson Classic 2 Best on a Wednesday morning.

View attachment 1231192
Where about did you find this pill bottle? I have tried several places in my city but they were either just too small or way to big.

Thank you in advance.

Oh and I should be receiving my Classic 2 (second one) by the end of the week or early next week. Very excited to try it, as although I am not thrilled with my current one due to the prickly feel, everything else I do like about it.

Where about did you find this pill bottle? I have tried several places in my city but they were either just too small or way to big.

Thank you in advance.

Oh and I should be receiving my Classic 2 (second one) by the end of the week or early next week. Very excited to try it, as although I am not thrilled with my current one due to the prickly feel, everything else I do like about it.
PM me. If you are in the CONUS, I will send you one.

Well I just received the new Classic 2 in Best.

it is a fantastic brush. I honestly believe that my first one can’t be compared. Very frustrating as I bought that one directly from Simpson and it looks and feel completely different. I will never buy a Simpson again without photos first as I cannot and will no longer trust Best to be just that...this one thankfully is.

The one I received today is soft and lathers like a dream. Here are some pics.
I post most once fully broken in.
485BFE2E-90E0-42F6-9011-DDC016A44136.jpeg
C322ADFB-1BB9-48FE-9499-88C518DDDC6E.jpeg

Owen Bawn

PS- I still own 2 Northland Pro and one Victoriaville wooden hockey sticks. So yeah, I like Simpsons' natural badger in all its quirkiness.
Since this post both Northland sticks have broken. The second one broke last night in a most awkward way when I inadvertently hooked a guy and when he pulled out of it the blade got caught in the hinged end of the door to the bench as it was being slammed shut. So I finally need a new stick, and it'll be of some space age material. 66 years old and still playing something that approaches real hockey.

Since this post both Northland sticks have broken. The second one broke last night in a most awkward way when I inadvertently hooked a guy and when he pulled out of it the blade got caught in the hinged end of the door to the bench as it was being slammed shut. So I finally need a new stick, and it'll be of some space age material. 66 years old and still playing something that approaches real hockey.

The lightweight is great, but it took me years to accept a pass properly. Totally different feel. And, the shots…some are like bullets, some are like you shot with a wet noodle.

Owen Bawn

The lightweight is great, but it took me years to accept a pass properly. Totally different feel. And, the shots…some are like bullets, some are like you shot with a wet noodle.
I agree. I've used them in the past and they're not for me. My only remaining wooden stick is a Victoriaville that's never been used. I really want to keep it for no other reason than to look at it. So I'll be buying a stick this week.

Congrats!
The new one looks great. The light brown shade of the hair is just like my Commodore X2 best, and I adore that brush! It's the one and only animal hair brush still in my den.

Your first one reminds me of a Berkeley I got for travel and the hair was dark and so prickly! Simpson denied all responsibility so I threw it in the trash!
I'm hindsight, I should have set a plush little silvertip knot in that handle.

Well I just received the new Classic 2 in Best.

it is a fantastic brush. I honestly believe that my first one can’t be compared. Very frustrating as I bought that one directly from Simpson and it looks and feel completely different. I will never buy a Simpson again without photos first as I cannot and will no longer trust Best to be just that...this one thankfully is.

The one I received today is soft and lathers like a dream. Here are some pics.
I post most once fully broken in.View attachment 1235799View attachment 1235800

Top Bottom