What's new

Simpson Classic 2 Best Appreciation

I made a comment in another Simpson related thread this morning and mentioned that the Simpson Classic 2 Best rarely gets mentioned on B&B. I stumbled upon this little brush on the Simpson site after trying numerous Simpson brushes.

My first Simpson brush purchase was the Chubby 1 Best and found it too small. Next was the Chubby 2 Best and found it too big. I tried a few other Simpson brushes including the 57 Best, 46 Best, Duke 3 Best, Chubby 2 SiLVERTiP etc. All were very nice brushes and I could have easily settled with any one. When I say too big or too small, I'm talking handle size, knot width, height, density, and/or a combination of all of the above. I am pretty particular about brush size, so subtle nuances can make a big difference (you probably already knew this if you have bought more than one brush).

When reading up on the Simpson site, I noticed under the description of the Classic 2, "often referred to as the Chubby 1.5". This sounded like it was an ideal brush, so I made the purchase. What a great little brush the Classic 2 Best has turned out to be. It is excellent for face lathering, with density and backbone above its small size and fits in a little pill bottle as my travel brush. My other Simpson brush that I kept is the Duke 3 Manchurian at 3 times the cost of the Classic 2 Best. If someone is on a budget and wants a terrific Simpson brush, the Classic 2 Best is a great choice. I love my Duke 3 Manchurian, but I can say that my Classic 2 is not too far behind in what I prefer in a brush, which is good backbone, density, scrub, not scritch, not too large or small and good to hold in the hand while face lathering.

A couple of pics for your viewing pleasure. One next to the Duke 3 and the other in the pill bottle ready to travel.
IMG_7391.jpg

IMG_7393.jpg

There you have it, a little love the for the Simpson Classic 2 Best on a Wednesday morning.

images-1 copy.jpeg

Thought the C1 was Chubby 0.0 and C2 referred to as Chubby 0.5?

Had a C2 based on the "desert island brush" write up at The Superior Shave. Sadly the informative and amusing discussion is no longer available. But it was incredibly accurate.

The dense short lofted brush had amazing presences and face feel, it was luxury in a small package. But the article more than once described the brush as a "larcenous" lather hog. Learned a few things with that brush. I don't care to argue, fight and overfeed a brush just to get the pittance of soap needed for a shave and SHD knots aren't particularly interesting... to me anyway. But, certainly grateful for having the brush and the lessons from it. It saved me from going down a Chubby rabbit hole.

Thought the C1 was Chubby 0.0 and C2 referred to as Chubby 0.5?

Had a C2 based on the "desert island brush" write up at The Superior Shave. Sadly the informative and amusing discussion is no longer available. But it was incredibly accurate.

The dense short lofted brush had amazing presences and face feel, it was luxury in a small package. But the article more than once described the brush as a "larcenous" lather hog. Learned a few things with that brush. I don't care to argue, fight and overfeed a brush just to get the pittance of soap needed for a shave and SHD knots aren't particularly interesting... to me anyway. But, certainly grateful for having the brush and the lessons from it. It saved me from going down a Chubby rabbit hole.

You are the 2nd person to reference Chubby 0.5 for the Classic 2 (CL2), but the Simpson website states Chubby 1.5, unless I am reading this incorrectly. Either way, it makes no sense really. The Classic 2 is not in-between the Chubby 1 and Chubby 2, nor is it smaller than the Chubby 1 in dimensions if you look at them closely. The CH1 and CL2 are the same height with the knot, but the ratio of the knots is what makes them different. The Classic 2 has a different knot ratio which to me makes it a more appealing brush (images below). The Chubby 2 I owned was certainly a lather hog, but to me, the Classic 2 has nowhere to hide the lather, it's too small, and supplies lather quite nicely.

Maybe someone was indulging in a few pints on the Isle of Man and said something about the Classic 2 being the Chubby 1.5 or 0.5 if you prefer and that is how it got its moniker. Who knows? Either way, the Classic 2 to me is a fine shaving brush.

The Classic 2 specs
IMG_7405.jpeg

The Chubby 1 specs
IMG_7403.jpeg

Despite my lack of fascination with the brush, Classic fans are in good company I'd say. Here's a couple of endorsements;

I personally love the Classic 1, it is actually my travel brush.

And from an old Classic 2 discussion:
Don't tell anyone but the Classic, 1 or 2, is in my top three brushes ever made. The Classic 1 in Manchurian could well be the Bugatti Veyron of travel brushes. As I say, keep it under your hat ;-)
Mark

@It's Hedley is trying to blow our minds with his avatar change. Did he get permission from the Moderators for that picture change?
Just you wait! Beware the Ides of March!

Despite my lack of fascination with the brush, Classic fans are in good company I'd say. Here's a couple of endorsements;

And from an old Classic 2 discussion:
Don't tell anyone but the Classic, 1 or 2, is in my top three brushes ever made. The Classic 1 in Manchurian could well be the Bugatti Veyron of travel brushes. As I say, keep it under your hat ;-)
Mark

Maybe I should delete this thread!! Mods!!!!

Last edited:
I recently purchased the Classic 2 in Best. I love the size, but the hair is very scritchity.

I have looked but have not seen it available in Super. Would this be a special order?

Otherwise it is a fine brush. Mine just doesn’t warrant the price tag in my opinion. I know it is a gamble when ordering online but mine is full on prickly... think Wilkinson Sword drug store brush.

I recently purchased the Classic 2 in Best. I love the size, but the hair is very scritchity.

I have looked but have not seen it available in Super. Would this be a special order?

Otherwise it is a fine brush. Mine just doesn’t warrant the price tag in my opinion. I know it is a gamble when ordering online but mine is full on prickly... think Wilkinson Sword drug store brush.
It should not be prickly. It should have some scrub, which is good backbone and the feel of the brush. Prickly is not good. It may soften over time. If not, some people like prickly, so sell it on BST.

As for the Super, I am not sure if that is a special order or not. You would have to go to the Simpson website to inquire. Send them a note. They are good people.

You have experienced what many of us have also experienced with Simpson Best and that is the variability. My Classic 2 best hair is almost indistinguishable from my Chubby 1 in super. My Duke 3 in best is a great brush and contains what I would have expected, more scrubby than the Chubby 1 or Classic 2 but not scritchy. I briefly had a Case in best that I found too scritchy to use. My Wee Scot in best is more scritchy than the others but is still usable which led me to think that the smaller brushes in best could be more prone to being scritchy. That is why I bought my Major in super which I find to be ideal for what it is.

You have experienced what many of us have also experienced with Simpson Best and that is the variability. My Classic 2 best hair is almost indistinguishable from my Chubby 1 in super. My Duke 3 in best is a great brush and contains what I would have expected, more scrubby than the Chubby 1 or Classic 2 but not scritchy. I briefly had a Case in best that I found too scritchy to use. My Wee Scot in best is more scritchy than the others but is still usable which led me to think that the smaller brushes in best could be more prone to being scritchy. That is why I bought my Major in super which I find to be ideal for what it is.

Very disappointing to have so much variation in a high quality product. I don’t hate my CL2 Best, but it will not be the daily driver I bought it to be. It will be my work brush.

Simpson really needs to address this. It is poor QC and inexcusable. I shouldn’t have to buy a Super to ensure I get proper QC. Heck I can’t even buy a CL2 Super.

My two cents.

Here is the photo of the one I just ordered. Much nicer then my current one I believe, in colour anyway.

I’ll post pictures once I receive it and give my thoughts.

Andrew

Attachments

• 1728EA55-00DE-418C-AB40-BD72A366B46B.jpeg
    1728EA55-00DE-418C-AB40-BD72A366B46B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 65
  • 8164E86C-873E-4A2C-98D6-03837B80E2C7.jpeg
    8164E86C-873E-4A2C-98D6-03837B80E2C7.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 65
Here is the photo of the one I just ordered. Much nicer then my current one I believe, in colour anyway.

I’ll post pictures once I receive it and give my thoughts.

Andrew
Why didn’t you send the other brush back if you didn’t like the look of it?

I have Bests that are like Supers and Bests that are more like Pures. The look of the bristles should give you a good indication immediately. Natural hairs have variances and Simpson has a lot of variances.

Why didn’t you send the other brush back if you didn’t like the look of it?

I have Bests that are like Supers and Bests that are more like Pures. The look of the bristles should give you a good indication immediately. Natural hairs have variances and Simpson has a lot of variances.

A couple reasons...

I was told that the colour shouldn’t affect the performance and used the brush. Hence I cannot return it. Second the cost of return shipping to the UK, plus a month wait each way isn’t worth the hassle.

I will likely use it as a work brush, or send it back and tell them to keep this as an example of what a Pure Badger looks and feels like. I do not feel like putting up a fight as they don’t seem to understand why I would be upset. Pretty bad customer service to be honest.

I do like the other Simpson Brushes I own (4 now), but that is likely it. I’ll go to other makers that are more consistent after this.

• Sad
Reactions: nav
Top Bottom