What's new

Simpson Chubby

so true Owen and you know the old saying abuot the lie going round the world before the truth getting the pants on...

It would be so much easier for them just to reduce density ;-)

I have owned about 20 Simpsons badgers and none have been shedders beyond the nearly universal tendency of natural hair brushes to lose a few hairs the first few times they're used. I have never had a persistent problem with a Simpson shedding. For that matter I've never had a problem with any established brush maker's products shedding.

I hate threads like this about any vendor. Someone has a problem or perceives they have a problem because a brush sheds 15 hairs its first week, so they post that this brushmaker charges $200 for shedders. They go away, and in most cases the brush stops shedding. But their post is here forever. Then 6 months or a year later the next bloke who loses a dozen hairs revives the thread and soon the vendor gets a reputation as a shoddy manufacturer. Today's spree took this to a new level. A poster joined the site because his Chubby lost a dozen hairs, he then searched the site for "Simpsons shedding," then revived 7 threads in which he complained about Simpsons brushes being shedders.

How does a vendor deal with that? It isn't fair, and it makes me sad.

+1

Simpson is a quality vendor. They stand by their product. I suspect their brushes don’t shed any more than those of other vendors. Shedding can happen with brushes from any vendor.

It is NEVER a mistake to buy a Simpsons brush. In my opinion, and after purchasing many Simpson brushes among other respectful brands (Muhle, Edwing Jagger, Thater, Kent..) I find their brushes to be excellent and top notch. I kept all Simpsons brushes and gave away many of other brands (kept few). I have to mention that my first Chubby1 in best did shed, but it is perfect now. The performance of Simpsons brushes is really exceptional.
Simpsons Silvertip, Best and Manchurian are all excellent in their own way and feel. Chubbies are really dense, I just ordered a Chubby 3 best, and anticipate it would shed a bit in the beginning due to being a beast of a brush. I do not have a Chubby 2 in super (have it in synthetic), and hear great reviews about it.
I agree with
Every brush is different. If it keeps shedding, let Simpson’s know.
I would contact the supplier in the event it kept shedding, and would let Simpsons know in case the issue is not solved. Simpson's is a company that stands behind it's products.
Hope this issue will end soon and you will enjoy the Chubby

I have purchased four Simpson badger brushes in the last 12 months (CH3, CH2 and 2 PL 10’s). Between all of them l have lost a total of maybe 5 hairs. These brushes, all Best, definitely have a break in period after which their performance is such that I have no interest in purchasing a brush from any other vendor or from Simpson’s with any other hair grade.

I have a dozen Simpson Badger brushes. I have not had a shedding issue with any of them. They are great brushes in my opinion. As far as the question about the Chubby brush, I would get the Chubby 2 in best badger. I have a Chubby 2 in Best, Super, and Manchurian. I don’t think the difference in feel and performance is worth the difference in cost.

Last edited:
Im ready for third shave. I hope thrid time is a charm. Fingers crossed. And if its a charm- sorry wallet im going for manchurian or 2band silvertip.

I have owned about 20 Simpsons badgers and none have been shedders beyond the nearly universal tendency of natural hair brushes to lose a few hairs the first few times they're used. I have never had a persistent problem with a Simpson shedding. For that matter I've never had a problem with any established brush maker's products shedding.

I hate threads like this about any vendor. Someone has a problem or perceives they have a problem because a brush sheds 15 hairs its first week, so they post that this brushmaker charges $200 for shedders. They go away, and in most cases the brush stops shedding. But their post is here forever. Then 6 months or a year later the next bloke who loses a dozen hairs revives the thread and soon the vendor gets a reputation as a shoddy manufacturer. Today's spree took this to a new level. A poster joined the site because his Chubby lost a dozen hairs, he then searched the site for "Simpsons shedding," then revived 7 threads in which he complained about Simpsons brushes being shedders.

How does a vendor deal with that? It isn't fair, and it makes me sad.

I get quite sick of it as well, and frankly you will see a history of that with this brush. My best response I can give is this.

My Simpson Collection.jpg

Number of continuous shedders? 0

This doesn't even reflect my total count of Simpson brushes over the years. I assure you I've had more, and those too had no problems. A few of these I no longer have, like the T3, P8, Simpson Boar Special, and tortoise Wee Scot, but plenty of other additions. Simpson Astor Best, another prefix Chubby 3, and some vintage Wee Scots I can think of. You're going to be hard pressed to find a more densely packed brush than a Chubby, and to have some loose hairs come out will happen regardless of how much you comb it. Other brushes too, but by the numbers a Chubby is going to have more potential for the shedding of excess hairs due to how much is packed into it. I can see this being construed as showing off, and sorry for it seeming to be that way, but I can't make my point in any better way. Dozens and dozen of brushes without a problem. This is brand new brushes, and brushes that have had previous owners too. I can count 15 of those I know I bought used.

So the shave went pretty good
I used:
Feather AS-D2 with feather blade
Chubby 2 in super
Bignoli agrumi del mediterraneo soft soap
Geo f trumper sandalwood skinfood
4 hairs shedd in total. Few fotos.de razor brush and soap foto after the shave.

Attachments

• 491C7407-BCFF-437F-BC7F-64CA00321E0F.jpeg
    491C7407-BCFF-437F-BC7F-64CA00321E0F.jpeg
    946.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 123A08FC-A46E-4D20-9BE9-1E5A53E3308F.jpeg
    123A08FC-A46E-4D20-9BE9-1E5A53E3308F.jpeg
    892.1 KB · Views: 37
  • D63A8CE7-024A-4DE4-86F5-C06714F8E0ED.jpeg
    D63A8CE7-024A-4DE4-86F5-C06714F8E0ED.jpeg
    921.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 2B940381-CFA7-4346-AECF-38EFF69E808F.jpeg
    2B940381-CFA7-4346-AECF-38EFF69E808F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 37
Those hairs I wouldn't be concerned about at all. Those are quite long and indicative of hairs that just didn't get set into epoxy. That 4th one isn't even a hair you'd want in your brush in the first place. :lol1:

By the way this time brush performed better than last two times. Better lather and better flow from the brush. I love this soap. Who can must try it. Its superb

Last edited:
By the way this time brush performed better than last two times. Better lather and better flow from the brush. I love this soap. Who can must try it. Its superb

That happens over time as the brush knot settles in and loosens up. People call it breaking it in and is widely referred to as that. A surefire way for any brush that is hogging the lather is just give it more soap or cream, and what I do. I don't worry about getting a brush broken in. It'll get there in its own sweet time. Might take a few years at my rate, but it'll get there.

Next task order duke 3 best badger. Becouse i shave every day and i want 48 hours for drying the brush at leats. After today shave i guess my other brushes will stay at the shadow... third task choose between chubby 2 manchurian and chubby 2 2band silvertip :facep::facep:

I have the Lavender Balsamic edition, really really like it. One of my other Simpson's is the Duke 3 in Best, an awesome brush, feels bigger than its 23 mm.

Next task order duke 3 best badger. Becouse i shave every day and i want 48 hours for drying the brush at leats. After today shave i guess my other brushes will stay at the shadow... third task choose between chubby 2 manchurian and chubby 2 2band silvertip :facep::facep:

Careful my friend. You’re walking a fine line. Look at my last posts for a picture of coming attractions.

Today i found out that in my country all vendors cant get me chubby 2 manchurian. Just 2band silvertip. So i hope it will be good and i wont regret with 2band instead of manchurian

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Today i found out that in my country all vendors cant get me chubby 2 manchurian. Just 2band silvertip. So i hope it will be good and i wont regret with 2band instead of manchurian
I could be very wrong but I always thought that Simpson Manchurian brushes were only available directly from Simpson. As far as I know they will send to almost any country in the world where it is legal to do so.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
But why they can get 2band silvertip in some handlles but not manchurian? Isnt it very similar?
I have no idea, I just know that I have only ever seen Manchurian brushes sold new on the Simpson web site, or on the used market. On the web site are the standard ivory handle brushes along with some coloured handle versions and some of these are not always available. Simpson also release small numbers of different brushes, normally made in small numbers, which are shown on their social media feeds but not necessarily on their web site. In those cases an email enquiry to Simpson is required. They will also sometimes produce custom designs if you email them but this will cost extra. I do not mean custom handle shapes, but you can request a standard Simpson handle shape in your choice of colour and your choice of badger or synthetic bristle. I cannot comment on the similarity between Manchurian and two band silvertip as I have only every used the Manchurian. What I can say is that for me, the Manchurian is my favourite and worth any extra cost.

Top Bottom