What's new

Simpson Chubby

I used my new to me Chubby 1 Best for the first time today and I really enjoyed the brush. I really like the size.
I have a couple of boar brushes (610 and 830) in addition to the Chubby and a Savile Row Silvertip (correctly described as a floppy face painter by another member). I would like to add a synthetic brush to the line up.What suggestions do you have knowing I like the Chubby 1 and boar face scrubbers?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I used my new to me Chubby 1 Best for the first time today and I really enjoyed the brush. I really like the size.
I have a couple of boar brushes (610 and 830) in addition to the Chubby and a Savile Row Silvertip (correctly described as a floppy face painter by another member). I would like to add a synthetic brush to the line up.What suggestions do you have knowing I like the Chubby 1 and boar face scrubbers?

Chubby 2 Synthetic, although synthetic doesn’t scrub like badger since the bristle is so soft.

I’m waiting on an Evo to see how it stacks up as well. Supposedly holds a lot of water like a badger can.

Chubby 2 Synthetic, although synthetic doesn’t scrub like badger since the bristle is so soft.

I’m waiting on an Evo to see how it stacks up as well. Supposedly holds a lot of water like a badger can.

Badger is still going to beat out the Evo, but something about the Evo makes it seem like it holds onto water better. I notice when lathering you really would have to go at it with heavy emphasis to make water come out or lather fling about. Note that I am not a scrubber, and I use painting motions. I've tried going at it with more vigor in making it splash about without success. Out of what I have tried for synthetic so far I like it best, and there isn't much I haven't tried. Probably what I haven't tried I have already and just haven't gotten to using it yet.

I just wanted to share a couple of pictures of my brush today. My new Chubby 2 Silvertip in "Liquid Gold". I am looking forward to comparing after several uses this Silvertip to a previously owned Chubby 2 Best and a Duke 3 Manchurian I currently own. I love the classic faux ivory and butterscotch Simpson handles, but their newer colored handles are really impressive as well.

IMG_5736.jpeg
IMG_5728.jpeg

I have a dozen Simpson Badger brushes. I have not had a shedding issue with any of them. They are great brushes in my opinion. As far as the question about the Chubby brush, I would get the Chubby 2 in best badger. I have a Chubby 2 in Best, Super, and Manchurian. I don’t think the difference in feel and performance is worth the difference in cost.

How does the super and the best compare?

How does the super and the best compare?

best: soft with scrub and slightly scritchy that may or may not poke your face every now and then depending on how you move it around your face. Best value in Simpsons’ lineup
Super: universally soft with no scritchy / poking. Most flexible hair, it will make a very gentle massage when swirling but not really a scrub (cloud feeling)

If you have very sensitive skin or pimple/spots, go for super. Otherwise, save your money and go for Best

best: soft with scrub and slightly scritchy that may or may not poke your face every now and then depending on how you move it around your face. Best value in Simpsons’ lineup
Super: universally soft with no scritchy / poking. Most flexible hair, it will make a very gentle massage when swirling but not really a scrub (cloud feeling)

If you have very sensitive skin or pimple/spots, go for super. Otherwise, save your money and go for Best

Only thing I would add is that the super is thinner and thus more gets packed in making it denser, so if you like the brush to have a bit of flow, I would suggest best. Actually two things. Best can be quite soft too, but sometimes you get some that is a bit scritchier than the rest. This is pretty seldom as I have a bunch of bests from ranging periods that are quite soft. Can't think of even one scritchy best atm.

Top Bottom