What's new

Simpson Chubby

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I cannot comment on the similarity between Manchurian and two band silvertip as I have only every used the Manchurian. What I can say is that for me, the Manchurian is my favourite and worth any extra cost.

Both Manchurian and SiLVERTiP are excellent. Manchurian hair is more stiff. SiLVERTiP lies between Manchurian and Super. It’s just right in my opinion. Excellent backbone and softness, would make a better daily driver than Manchurian in my opinion.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Both Manchurian and SiLVERTiP are excellent. Manchurian hair is more stiff. SiLVERTiP lies between Manchurian and Super. It’s just right in my opinion. Excellent backbone and softness, would make a better daily driver than Manchurian in my opinion.
Interesting, I have tried many Manchurian, Super, and Best, and a single Pure and have always considered Best to be between Super and Manchurian in terms of characteristics and performance. To my taste Simpson Best is far superior to their Super grade despite Super being more expensive. I found Super to be too soft and luxurious and lacking in scrub, backbone, and 'presence' but if you want cloud like softness then Super is excellent. Best has the backbone and scrub which I love and Mancurian even more so. From your description SiLVERTiP sounds more like Best than Super - perhaps Best backbone, but with softer tips. My only Pure brush is a delight but is a Somerset era Simpson so possibly softer that current pure hair. Yet more evidence that brushes are a very personal thing and what suits one may not suit another.

I have a Duke 1 in 2 Band Silvertip and although it has great back bone, I wouldn't describe the tips as soft. There is no needles but soft isn't the word I'd use. If anyone finds badger a bit irritating this isn't the brush for them. I can only comment on my 2 Band, nobody else's. My Semogue 2015 HD has much softer tips and a much more pleasant face feel. I'm no expert but I get the impression some Companies chemically treat their 2 Bands to get super soft tips. Simpsons don't do that.

1595949122336.png

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Interesting, I have tried many Manchurian, Super, and Best, and a single Pure and have always considered Best to be between Super and Manchurian in terms of characteristics and performance. To my taste Simpson Best is far superior to their Super grade despite Super being more expensive. I found Super to be too soft and luxurious and lacking in scrub, backbone, and 'presence' but if you want cloud like softness then Super is excellent. Best has the backbone and scrub which I love and Mancurian even more so. From your description SiLVERTiP sounds more like Best than Super - perhaps Best backbone, but with softer tips. My only Pure brush is a delight but is a Somerset era Simpson so possibly softer that current pure hair. Yet more evidence that brushes are a very personal thing and what suits one may not suit another.

You would still get better backbone form SiLVERTiP. The hair is more durable and stiff, just not quite as stiff as Manchurian by a bit.

Those manchurian chubbies must be great can't say it isn't tempting. For that price this hair has got to be some truly rare hair stock.

Anyone here can say what was different in manchurian and 2-band sivlertip in the exact same model brush, does manchurian have the thickest base and thus max flow-through due spacing and scrub at tip?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Those manchurian chubbies must be great can't say it isn't tempting. For that price this hair has got to be some truly rare hair stock.

Anyone here can say what was different in manchurian and 2-band sivlertip in the exact same model brush, does manchurian have the thickest base and thus max flow-through due spacing and scrub at tip?

Chubby in each hair performs about equally, just has a different feel on the face.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding

There is quite a difference in the price of 3 band super and Manchurian, but the difference between 2 band silvertip and Manchurian is not that great. Using Chubby 2 prices at the moment, 3 band super £187, 2 band silvertip £274, Manchurian £312. As to what Manchurian hair actually is, I am not sure and have never seen a definitive answer despite clarification being requested directly from Simpson. The hair does have a very thick shaft with a two band appearance and soft tips. I have seen speculation about bleaching and chemical treatment of cheaper grade hair, which I doubt. I suspect it is simply a marketing term, I am just not sure what for. Ultimately, I don't really care, I just love the performance.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Which hair type of the two has the bigger dark band and which the whiter end?

I want to say Manchurian to both but I sold my last Chubby in Manchurian and am waiting for another one in the mail currently before I can compare them side by side rather than by memory.

I do have an M7 currently in Manchurian that I can definitely say has a longer band and whiter tips, but the SiLVERTiP has softer tips than the M7 Manchurian.

Today i get photos from my vendor of duke 3 best badger and from photos its more to pure badger when to super badger batch i guess. If someone interested i can add photos of actual brush. And my vendor said that they have just older chubby 2 2band which sais super badger and faux ivory handle but not silvertip badger as newer ones. I dont know what to do get this one older or get newer directly from simpson.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Is the Chubby-2 Two-Band Silvertip more dense than the regular Chubby-2 Super? Does it have more backbone?

Today i had 4th shave with my chubby 2 super. Today i tried face lathering instead of bowl. Superb feel. Just enough backbone and soft. Now i guess i prefer face lathering with this brush. 2 hairs now came out one currly one and one longer. I hope it will be realy good brush in the long run. Do you guys using stands for your chubbys or just put it on the handle? Becouse my vendors dont have stands big enough. I made one from vire for now.

Is the Chubby-2 Two-Band Silvertip more dense than the regular Chubby-2 Super? Does it have more backbone?

The 2 Band will be less dense than Super. Reason being the hairs are thicker so less needed for great back bone. The Super will have more hairs as they are thinner so more gives more backbone to compensate. The 2 Band will still be a dense brush though. It's a Chubby after all.

Im thinking to buy this older two band marked as super. So i will have super 3 band and two band marked as super. Vendor asked same amount money for this two band as regular 3 band super. Is ir right?

Today i had 4th shave with my chubby 2 super. Today i tried face lathering instead of bowl. Superb feel. Just enough backbone and soft. Now i guess i prefer face lathering with this brush. 2 hairs now came out one currly one and one longer. I hope it will be realy good brush in the long run. Do you guys using stands for your chubbys or just put it on the handle? Becouse my vendors dont have stands big enough. I made one from vire for now.

Don't know where you're located but in US there's a steel stand for chubby 2 from superiorshave, it is nice and fits the handle like a glove, I live in humid area and prefer to hang the ch2 head-down one day on a north-facing windowsill and do not shave with it until at least +2 days, and depending upon your humidity local conditions this could all be completely pointless.

re your other post, if the old stock 2-band silvertip marked as super also says made in England on sticker, I would buy that one for sure, that is a pretty collectible/unobtanium handle/knot combination so you can sell for profit or very small loss if you ever had to (what is the vendor? ;-) About 10yrs ago I recall some 2-band looking best badger grade brushes, you could ask maybe they have some of those?

Yes it says england stirling or something like that. Super badger and its in two band. It is new not used. For 199€ About 233$ .Im in europe

I can see this being construed as showing off, and sorry for it seeming to be that way, but I can't make my point in any better way.

Brother, all I can say, after my own journey down the rabbit hole, You rock! There is a sign of the seeker over your spirit and the devotion to learn and determine your own opinion of the Simpson product is evident in not only the photographic representation but also your statement of how life with Simpson is seen from your experience.

Congratulations on such a lovely display of inferred memories.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Welcome to the life of the Chubby Chaser.

I have 2 on the way now. A Rasage Classique Super and “The Dark Knight” which I had to have as a Batman geek due to the name and changed my avatar in preparation for.

Top Bottom