What's new

Simpson chubby best or super?

I want to get a new brush, I was wondering what would be better. I have been having problems getting soaps to lather because of hard water.

VDH deluxe, VDH luxury, Williams, Mama bears, and The Shave Den. I have no problem with creams, art of shaving, and c.o. bigelow

Yeah, soaps can be a little finicky with hard water. What brush are you using now? I really tend to get much better soap lather with boar or boar/badger brushes

Two good ways of overcoming hard water are (1) using more product (i.e., loading the hell out of your brush) and, if that fails, (2) using distilled water to build the lather.

Two good ways of overcoming hard water are (1) using more product (i.e., loading the hell out of your brush) and, if that fails, (2) using distilled water to build the lather.

Agreed with (1) for sure. I load the hell out of my brushes. I think that's why brushes with more backbone work better for me.

I have tried loading the hell out of the brush, it only worked on 2 soaps and the others did nothing. I don't have a water softener, I live in an apartment, and my girlfriend hates showering with soft water.

I would try a boar brush with a high loft and like others have said load it up---keep trying-you WILL get it to work

A big ol' expensive brush won't fix your loading problem. Trust me, if you're getting creams to lather just fine but the soaps won't cooperate, it's the age-old "not enough product" issue.

As for Best vs. Super, Best is going to have a stiffer feel and a touch more scritch than 3-band Super. This is neither good nor bad, just personal preference. If you're looking for a soap chainsaw, though, I would guess Best would be up your alley.

My Chubby Best has great backbone and soft tips and is an amazing brush. Have never tried Super but would have to be much better to warrant price differential.

I love the chubby in Best.

Try this to improve the soap loading: drip some hot water on top of your soap just before you drop the brush in to soak. Use just enough to 'sheen' the top of the puck, it'll soften up the soap and make it easier for the tips of the brush to pick it up.

Chubby in best is what the Simpson men used as their go-to brush while they made brushes at the factory according to the family descendants.

I love the chubby in Best.

Try this to improve the soap loading: drip some hot water on top of your soap just before you drop the brush in to soak. Use just enough to 'sheen' the top of the puck, it'll soften up the soap and make it easier for the tips of the brush to pick it up.

The easiest way to make sure you have enough product - Rub the soap puck directly on your wet face, then face lather. Guaranteed to get enough product loaded for even the hardest water (Although it still won't help modern Williams give a stable lather.)

The Chubby In Best is a great brush. As long as I load it up with enough soap I never have any problems getting good lather and my well is pretty hard.

Top Bottom