What's new

Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic Vs Omega Evo

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't have but this one...

4-20-20.FatipOCS.Vitors.Evo.640JPG.JPG

But, I have a question: Is it really a silvertip?

Yours is a good question though.

Happy shaves,

Jim

No need for another synthetic her (well in fact, no real need for another shaving related item).
But that Eno brush looks stunning.

Can't wait to see the review.

What is the loft of the Omega Evo? Can someone that has one actually measure it for me? WCS lists the heights as:

Overall height 105mm
Height of the handle 55mm
Hair height 55mm

... but the numbers don't add up.

I found the loft on the Chubby Synthetic too low at 50 mm. The brush ended up having too much backbone/scrub for me.

My favorite synthetic is the EJ STF XL, which has a ~58mm loft. I think I would also enjoy something half way between the Chubby 2 synthetic and the EJ STF XL with ~54mm loft.

What is the loft of the Omega Evo? Can someone that has one actually measure it for me? WCS lists the heights as:

Overall height 105mm
Hair height 55mm

I found the loft on the Chubby Synthetic too low at 50 mm. The brush ended up having too much backbone/scrub for me.

My favorite synthetic is the EJ STF XL, which has a ~58mm loft. I think I would also enjoy something half way between the Chubby 2 synthetic and the EJ STF XL with ~54mm loft.

You might like the Duke 3 synthetic. It's only a mm or so higher than the Chubby 2 bit with the 23 mm knot and slightly less density, it feels like a higher loft than it is.

Edit; Just measured my chubby 2 and Duke 3 synths and they both come out at 50 mm.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Overall height 105mm
Hair height 55mm

Mine is 50 mm as measured by me with calipers. I find that loft exactly right.

I had a 50mm loft CH2 synthetic and I hated it. I currently have two, one is 53mm and one is 52mm. The knots look a little different from one another, but I really like both. After looking at a bunch of them, I’ve noticed that some knots have a certain, more compact shape and some knots are more wide and fan-like. I wonder if it comes down to who is tying the CH2 knots on any given day? In any event, I prefer the wider, fan-like knots.

I would love to see pics of the individual brushes before purchasing directly from Simpson. I get worried about buying one direct and getting one with a knot I dislike.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Easily could be variations in how I measured. ;)

Could be, but most Omega Evo brushes I've seen described by their owners seem to have a loft higher than mine and more consistent with the lofts published by the vendors and the manufacturer. Small sample size of course.

I notice most knots as measured by me are not the same as measured by the vendors, but most doesn't mean all. Some are spot on.

The knot size right above the handle (as measured by me) is typically larger than the knot size as measured by the vendor, but they're measuring it at the knot's actually bottom before it was set. I see no conflict with that knot measurement.

I do see conflict as it pertains to the loft height. I don't mean it bothers me to have the loft I measure be a lot different from the loft the vendor described. I've long concluded that the vendor and manufacturer are merely giving us an idea or an approximation of what the loft might be on any individual brush we buy. I'm speaking here of mass market brushes and not artisan.

Happy shaves,

Jim

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Next up will be a $380 synthetic that “rivals” a Simpsons Chubby 3 Manchurian Badger LE... Talk me down from the ledge!
I wouldn't rule it out 🤣 I think that one can spend big on say a Simpson Manchurian safe in the knowledge that it should last several years, retain a portion of its value, and not be superceded. I think there will be a much lower upper value set for synthetic brushes as they can always be rendered obsolete by a 'new and improved' version, or a new knot or fibre. I would not be so confident in value retention or long term satisfaction. Are there any highly regarded synthetic vintage brushes that fetch high prices on the used market?

Last edited:
Top Bottom