What's new

Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic Vs Omega Evo

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I wouldn't rule it out 🤣 I think that one can spend big on say a Simpson Manchurian safe in the knowledge that it should last several years, retain a portion of its value, and not be superceded. I think there will be a much lower upper value set for synthetic brushes as they can always be rendered obsolete by a 'new and improved' version, or a new knot or fibre. I would not be so confident in value retention or long term satisfaction. Are there any highly regarded synthetic vintage brushes that fetch high prices on the used market?

It's hard to imagine that the oft rumored Generation 5 or 6 or whatever synthetics which will be better than badger won't arrive one day.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It's certainly valid, in my opinion, to prefer one to the other.....
Agreed, it’s absolutely valid to have a preference or to switch back and forth. I own both synthetic and badger brushes, each one has its pros/cons. I’ll choose a specific brush to use on a milled puck and a completely different brush to bowl lather with a cream. Sometimes I just want a 30mm wall of badger... Sometimes I want a Gen 4 synthetic. Variety is the spice of life!

^^^Yep, there is no invalid choice in this hobby....well, except for the Veg. :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

I likewise like the diversity. I have lather-flinging synths like my Razorock "BC Silvertip" that I use for 100% bowl lathering, and I have a newly acquired 2-band custom badger that I use to complete the lathering process after getting the lather 50% of the way complete in a bowl (I always start with a bowl due to sensitive skin). I have other brushes that fall somewhere in between.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
^^^Yep, there is no invalid choice in this hobby....well, except for the Veg. :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

I likewise like the diversity. I have lather-flinging synths like my Razorock "BC Silvertip" that I use for 100% bowl lathering, and I have a newly acquired 2-band custom badger that I use to complete the lathering process after getting the lather 50% of the way complete in a bowl (I always start with a bowl due to sensitive skin). I have other brushes that fall somewhere in between.
Hey now.....I love The Veg. ;) ;) ;)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Here are four of my favorite synthetic brushes:
20200526_134342~2.jpg

Left to right: Omega EVO, Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic, Epsilon 26mm STF and the wonderful @Graydog 26mm Full Moon "Chubby".

This should illustrate the differences in loft. :)

Finally received both brushes, I prefer the fibers on the Simpson, they just feel better for some reason. However, the Evo has a nicer, more comfortable handle and has a larger knot which I prefer.
My biggest complaint about the simpson is that it's too small. My yaqi 24mm tuxedo is much larger than the Simpson.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Finally received both brushes, I prefer the fibers on the Simpson, they just feel better for some reason. However, the Evo has a nicer, more comfortable handle and has a larger knot which I prefer.
My biggest complaint about the simpson is that it's too small. My yaqi 24mm tuxedo is much larger than the Simpson.

My Evo is 28 mm but seems only middle sized. I'd judge that it seems smaller than some of my 24 mm badgers or perhaps about their size, but certainly not larger. Were the Evo any smaller and it would be too small for me.

I'd like, down the road, if it occurs to you, to hear more about why you like the Chubby 2 Synthetic's fibers more than those of the Evo.

Our Simpson member has said there will be a Chubby 3 in synthetic. That might be large enough?

Happy shaves,

Jim

My Evo is 28 mm but seems only middle sized. I'd judge that it seems smaller than some of my 24 mm badgers or perhaps about their size, but certainly not larger. Were the Evo any smaller and it would be too small for me.

I'd like, down the road, if it occurs to you, to hear more about why you like the Chubby 2 Synthetic's fibers more than those of the Evo.

Our Simpson member has said there will be a Chubby 3 in synthetic. That might be large enough?

Happy shaves,

Jim

No doubt I would prefer a Chubby 3 synth over my CH2. The fibers on the Simpson feel more premium, softer and more luxurious if you will. Best way I can put it is that the fibers in the Simpson are worthy of the price point, whereas in the Evo, it's the handle that's worthy of its price.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
This Evo has my attention. Holding water? Wonder how the thermal properties are compared to other synthetics.

I am not a synthetic fan. I have some and on rare occasions I’ll use them but I find them generally less enjoyable. This said, the better these brushes get the more they’ll appeal to me. The Evo looks like it may actually get me using a synthetic in regular rotation. I’ll order one when they are more available and when I am less poor. :p

This Evo has my attention. Holding water? Wonder how the thermal properties are compared to other synthetics.

I am not a synthetic fan. I have some and on rare occasions I’ll use them but I find them generally less enjoyable. This said, the better these brushes get the more they’ll appeal to me. The Evo looks like it may actually get me using a synthetic in regular rotation. I’ll order one when they are more available and when I am less poor. :p
The evo is good with water retention. Not sure about heat retention since I only use cold water. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

I really like my CH2s and I have owned a total of 4 of them. I have one with a knot that is much nicer than the any of others. The shape is different, too. It’s more fan-like, looks fuller, and has more spread. I wonder if there’s someone there who ties better knots than others and the trick is to be lucky enough to get one tied by that person? I wish there was a was to guarantee I got a knot like that every time.

I am eagerly looking forward to getting a butterscotch CH3 synthetic as soon as the opportunity presents itself! The small size of the CH2 handle drives me a little nuts.

I really like my CH2s and I have owned a total of 4 of them. I have one with a knot that is much nicer than the any of others. The shape is different, too. It’s more fan-like, looks fuller, and has more spread. I wonder if there’s someone there who ties better knots than others and the trick is to be lucky enough to get one tied by that person? I wish there was a was to guarantee I got a knot like that every time.

I am eagerly looking forward to getting a butterscotch CH3 synthetic as soon as the opportunity presents itself! The small size of the CH2 handle drives me a little nuts.
I feel the same way about the small handle. The knot itself is rather tiny also despite it's 27mm size. Looking forward to the CH3!!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
View attachment 1127477

My 'stone' colored Omega Evo arrived today. Feels very nice in the hand and I'm excited to see how it compares to both my current favorite (EJ STF XL) and to my memory of the CH2-S (which I sold after using for a few shaves).

I am considering either the EVO or the STF, so will be very interested in your report.

After a few shaves with my new Evo brush, my initial impression is that the Evo is very similar to the CH2S. I no longer have my CH2S, so I'm going off memory, but they seem very similar in feel and performance to me. I measured the loft on my Evo at 50mm, so it's the same as the CH2S. I will go so far as saying that the brushes (excluding the handles) are pretty much equivalent.

However, I think I still prefer the EJ STF XL. As shown below, the higher loft of the EJ lets the brush breathe a little more and reduces the scrubbiness when face lathering.

My recommendation: if you like medium backbone and a luxurious experience, get the EJ STF XL; if you prefer higher backbone and like a bit of scrubbiness, get the Evo or CH2S.

2020-07-23 12.44.49.png

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I like the scrub of the Evo. It's the only synthetic I've liked at all (not that I've tried very many).

It feels like a somewhat floppy silvertip to me, but not too floppy. Definitely has some backbone and sufficient scrub.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom