What's new

Simpson Chubby#2 Super - PICS

I was cleaning off my card from my camera and found the pics I took when I first received my Chubby. You can see how wrinkled the label came - it came off when it just sniffed some water. I will post some post-bloom pics later.

Dennis

Box:
full

Side View:
full

Top View - Prebloom:
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photos. I have the Chubby 2 in Best (Super too stiff for my taste), and it's a great brush. But it looks so lonely! I may have to get a Chubby 1 to keep it company. (The Chubby 3 is way too big for me.)

Agent86 said:
Any chance those post-bloom pics will include other brushes for size comparisons? :wink:

Sure - I'll include the Savile Row 3118, a Vulfix 2234, and my hand. :biggrin:

Dennis

Here are some follow up pictures of the Chubby#2 Super post-bloom and a Vulfix 2234. Compare that bloom to the previous new picture - pretty impressive!

Here is the post-bloom Chubby on the right and a Vulfix 2234 on the left
full

And from the top except they are vice-versa
full

I wanted to show the difference between the two brushes, so here they are in hand and wetted down. You can see how floppy the Vulfix is compared to the Simpson

Vulifx 2234 Super
full

Simpson Chubby#2 Super
full

Dennis

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sam

Great pics and you can see what is meant by floppy if you were to take a picture of each brush after you swirled the lather on. You would see that the Vulfix opens up almost flat and the Simpson almost retains its original shape.

Sam

Sam said:
Great pics and you can see what is meant by floppy if you were to take a picture of each brush after you swirled the lather on. You would see that the Vulfix opens up almost flat and the Simpson almost retains its original shape.

Yup, that was what I didn't really like about the Vulfix. It just had no backbone and it seems like it needs about double the badger hair in it. It is not a bad brush for easy to whip creams like Taylors, but it never worked that well on soaps for me, at least not as well as the Chubby.

Dennis

Dennis,

Does the Chubby 2 retain much of the lather within the hair? I'm very interested in one, but have reservations about how much of the lather actually ends up on your face with a brush this dense.

I would think that with the Chubby 2 Super the "pumping" action as you make the lather would be very important: to work the lather into the brush and to work the brush's charge of water into the lather. Without this, during the first pass the water at the base of the brush will drain into the lather and thin it out a lot. At least that was my experience with some stiffish, large-knot brushes.

Agent86 said:
Does the Chubby 2 retain much of the lather within the hair? I'm very interested in one, but have reservations about how much of the lather actually ends up on your face with a brush this dense.

Hmmm.... I don't really know how to answer that. When I lather the brush. I swirl and pump it so of course the entire brush is loaded. The lather applies just fine like any other brush. When I get the my last pass, I usually squeeze the brush a little and let that really hydrated lather comes to the surface for the ATG. That is what I do, anyway...

Dennis

slcsteve said:
Where can I buy one with that distinctive red badger loft?:ihih:

Just kidding.

Hehe. Yup, a nice combination of the fluorescent light in the bathroom, me being lazy about adjusting the camera, and the wonderful hard water I get for living in the sticks. :biggrin:

Dennis

Thanks for the pictures, Dennis. I now have a Chubby 2 in best(less scratchy I understand) on the way from Lee.

Top Bottom