What's new

Simpson by Vulfix - A Report Card

I love my newly aquired Simpson Commodre 3. Its a lot heavier and denser than my other badger brush. It does a great job at making lather. I would recommend one if what I have is a example of all simpson brushes.

I have an Eagle 3 Best as my only Simpson brush. I am planning on getting a Wee Scott next. I have enjoyed the Eagle.

At the moment I have two recently made Simpson two-band brushes: the Tulip 3 and the Polo 8.

Both are perfectly made.

I have bought the Duke 3 in Best and the Chubby 2 in Super since December of 2010 and could not be happier.:thumbup:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I have been reading alot of posts discussing shedding issues, asymmetrical lofts and label issues.

The asymmetrical lofts is a new issue that we didn't hear much about during the Somerset days or at least I don't remember it being an issue.

With Somerset, there was the Great Shedding Calamity of 2007 or 2008, which I too fell victim to and returned a Duke 2 which I exchanged for a Duke 3 and the Duke 3 became my favorite brush (still to this day).

With that being said, all of my Isle of Man brushes are excellent brushes. Have the labels come off some them? Yes. Have they shed a hair here and there? Yes.

But overall, they are excellent brushes and I can't think of one complaint I have regarding their quality and their performance for what they are designed to do.

Last edited:
I thought my Rooney was all I could want in a brush until I got a Colonel this past Christmas. The Colonel is just a better all-around brush. Eying a Berkeley next.

Over the course of the last year, I have acquired multiple Vulfix-made Simpson brushes. All have had "Best" knots, except for one two band Tulip. They have all been well made and work great. None of my Simpson brushes has been a shedder, and frankly, I could not be more pleased with them.

I have 4 Simpson brushes, all purchased in 2010.

One meets all specs.

Two are short 2 and 4 mm on loft length and one of them (Emperor 2 2-band) is also 1 mm short on knot size !9mm vs spec'd 20mm

A third Chubby 1 2-band is asymmetrical. Instead of rounding the bulb shape the back side was cut straight across.

As far as I'm concerned Simpson falls short on quality and until I hear that this has been corrected will be turning to other manufacturers for my additional brushes.

BTW, I have a Shavemac D01 - perfect shape, 24 mm knot is actually a very dense 25mm and loft is perfect - AND - It's delivered cost was less than the CH 1. So, after 3 strikes with Simpson, where would you expect me to get my next 2 band????

I'm seriously considering saving up and buying a Classic 2 right now. I usually lather up in a bowl. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Simpson makes great brushes. I use them almost daily. Simpson could alleviate 99.9% of all the negative publicity and public grousing they have received recently by:

STOPPING THE VISUAL LEMONS AT THE DOOR

All the learning curves and inherent problems of incorporating a new company and line are to be expected. Not all brushes are going to be made extremely well. All us Simpson fans are aware of that. Just quit letting the super asymetrical and 15% loft variations out the door.

They are great brushes. But we have seen photos of the large variances in shape and lofts. We hear third hand that they are concerned about the feedback and are working on it. One stern doorkeeper could alleviate the negative feedback until they get the entire production team running like a Swiss train.

Top Bottom