What's new

Simpson Brushes

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Owen,

Old post, but I forgot you had a Emperor 3 Super.

Does yours have a big glue bump? Mine does and a couple others I have seen do as well. Maybe on purpose due to the high loft?

I like mine, but for the $$$ it as about as far from a good value in the Simpson lineup as one can buy. Even at $99US IMO. It is a small little thing for the price.
It doesn't have a glue bump but I think the knot isn't as dense as most Simpson Supers. I think I even thought it might be floppy. A nice soft knot and a beautiful handle however. I like the smallish knot in a long handle. You don't see that very often. It's a long time since I used it. I'll dust it down and give it a whirl tomorrow and see what I think.

Last edited:
Precisely. 🧐 That's the road I took, never looked back...

full

Except to add a Chubby 2 Super after this pic.

full

🤔 Seriously, you have to have a Simpson rotation, because you want to (and should) use one every day, and they need a day or two to dry.

Dang near bought an M7 the other day, based on what @Owen Bawn says about that brush... 🤔 Mmph. Should have.

AA
CH2 Rocks !!!!!!!!!!!!

If it has to be a Simpson go for best grade. Berkeley 46, for example, for, like, $37.00 USD
Commodore or Colonel in best for 50 or less.

Or you could try a Vulfix (Simpson) I just got a new 375 in Super for some $26.00 bucks and I like it better than my Berk and Duke. I have no idea why they're(Vulfix) not more popular...much better flow through. Less backbone and density

If it has to be a Simpson go for best grade. Berkeley 46, for example, for, like, $37.00 USD
Commodore or Colonel in best for 50 or less.

Or you could try a Vulfix (Simpson) I just got a new 375 in Super for some $26.00 bucks and I like it better than my Berk and Duke. I have no idea why they're(Vulfix) not more popular...much better flow through. Less backbone and density

Dear sir, i have the same opinion only in my case it is the Vulfix Grosvenor mixed hair. I like it more than my Simpson best, exactly for the same reasons you quote. But you can't fight legends...

This would be my guess as to why they are not more popular.
That's the usually stated reason, yeah. I went through a 'the more backbone the better' phase myself before experimentation surfaced a realization that I get better results using a brush with more give. YMMV and such

Dear sir, i have the same opinion only in my case it is the Vulfix Grosvenor mixed hair. I like it more than my Simpson best, exactly for the same reasons you quote. But you can't fight legends...
I reckon I ought to get me one of those. I'll order one now. Any other recommendations?

That's the usually stated reason, yeah. I went through a 'the more backbone the better' phase myself before experimentation surfaced a realization that I get better results using a brush with more give. YMMV and such
I don't disagree. My keyhole 1 and tulip 2 are 2 of my favorite brushes. Smaller knots, which have some loft to them, and average backbone are excellent!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Owen,

Old post, but I forgot you had a Emperor 3 Super.

Does yours have a big glue bump? Mine does and a couple others I have seen do as well. Maybe on purpose due to the high loft?

I like mine, but for the $$$ it as about as far from a good value in the Simpson lineup as one can buy. Even at $99US IMO. It is a small little thing for the price.
I just used my E3 with Williams Mug Soap. As Simpsons go, it isn't the most dense knot, so it reminds me of silvertips from Omega, for example. Actually with regard to density it reminds me more of a Vulfix than a Simpson. Very soft tips, it doesn't have the backbone everyone seems to crave these days, but it stops well short of floppy. It is nice to have a small knot on a long thin handle- my M7s clang around in the mug like a drunken bellringer. So no, it isn't my favorite Simpson, but that's more a statement of personal taste than it is about the quality of the brush. For many men the Emperor 3 is their #1 brush. I think I paid in excess of $99 for mine- it was probably from one of those WCS sales some years ago. I don't remember.

Alarossa has a keyhole 1 and 2 for 50 bucks and 60 bucks respectively right now on Am***n. You can't beat the price. I have both and love them. For some reason, they have it described as Pure Badger. The pictures show it is Best badger. The Keyhole is only made in Best.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Alarossa has a keyhole 1 and 2 for 50 bucks and 60 bucks respectively right now on Am***n. You can't beat the price. I have both and love them. For some reason, they have it described as Pure Badger. The pictures show it is Best badger. The Keyhole is only made in Best.

The Simpson Keyhole shape rules! KH3 is probably my favorite brush.

AA

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
My little Chubby 1 in best has bristles that are the same color as my Kent BK4, light tan color on the tips. The T2, however, has a noticeably blue grey hue. Is that true of other Simpsons synthetics?

I have a Polo8 in Best and I love it. Like a big M7. I don’t shave my head but the Polo holds a ton of lather.

That’s awesome input! I don’t mind it being a lather hog, as it’s an excuse to buy more soap lol. Where would you suggest purchasing from? Im new to the wet shaving community

Top Bottom