What's new

Simpson brushes, a couple questions.

I don't know if there is already a thread about my questions...
1. I see that Simpson brushes are described only by overall length, how can I find out about Knot diameters, lofts and handle lengths?
2. Is a Simpson Pure badger like other pure badgers, a.k.a. prickly, I'm looking for a brush with backbone but with soft tips, so would I want a Best?
EDIT: Found some info at West Coast Shaving about knot diameters and lofts, but would like to hear about the feel of these brushes from someone who owns one or more.

Last edited:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Most sites that sell Simpson brushes list the knot diameters, loft, handle height, and overall height. Simpson's Best badger is very well thought of and would probably be a good starting point. How densely the hair in the knot is packed will vary from model to model. That is part of why you will see such a difference in prices for various brush models that look like the spec. for the knots are the same.

In my experience with Simpsons brushes, there can be considerable variation in the knot diameter, loft, and shape even with the same model. Thus, measurements at a place like West Coast Shaving should only be taken as rather rough approximations. Check out TheSuperiorShave, which is the only store that posts photos of each brush and provides the exact measurements so that you can select the brush with the specifications closest to what you want.

IMHO, you want a brush in best badger - pure badger does not provide some of the key benefits of a badger hair brush. For example, you would likely want a soft firm feel on your face. Pure will not give that to you. Go with best.

My two Simpsons (Wee Scot and Duke 1) are both in Best, and they both feel amazing: soft tips for making my face feel happy, and good backbone for grabbing the soap right off the puck.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I haven't tried a brush with Pure Badger grade hair and don't intend to based on what I've read in this Forum.

I recently picked up a Simpson Chubby 2 and a 58 in Best. They're both superb brushes. I'd say the 58 feels somewhat softer (more compliant) as a result of less density and slightly greater loft. I also prefer its handle. And the price is nice.

The Superior Shave is a great resource for dimensions etc... (And purchase). He's also pretty upfront with his descriptions of the item.

Last edited:
Unless you like prickly brushes, I would steer clear of Simpson brushes.
FTFY I've found that Simpson Best grade is still very prickly.

As already stated, most sites will have the knot diameter and loft listed. Though your brush might need adhere to these specs. IIRC there was a vendor that photograhed each brush and posted it so you knew exactly what you were buying. Can't remember who though.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Loft and knot shape are often a hit and miss with Simpson brushes. I have a few, and some are really good, like my Polo 8 in two-band Super (a true keeper brush) and also the soft Chubby 3 with three band super is a nice brush (maybe a bit too big for me, so this might go up for sale in the future). The bests can be quite prickly. On the other hand, I have an old Somerset era Rover in pure and it is quite nice, soft and just a bit of scritch, but not uncomfortable.

FTFY I've found that Simpson Best grade is still very prickly.

As already stated, most sites will have the knot diameter and loft listed. Though your brush might need adhere to these specs. IIRC there was a vendor that photograhed each brush and posted it so you knew exactly what you were buying. Can't remember who though.

Not my experience at all, and I find many 2-band brushes too prickly. In fact, I was just admiring how soft the Best on my Colonel X2L is.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Not my experience at all, and I find many 2-band brushes too prickly. In fact, I was just admiring how soft the Best on my Colonel X2L is.

+1 with regard to Best, but I only have a Chubby 2 and 58 in that hair. I'm presently up to about a dozen 2-bands, and I'd say all but 2 or 3 of them (one of which is a Manchurian T3) can be pricklier when face lathering than my 2 Bests. The 2-band hair is springier, although it should, I think, have softer tips. That said, I think I probably got lucky on the Chubby 2 and 58 in Best.

Ended up with a Berkeley 46 off the BST, it's soft enough not quite as dense as i'd like but still nice.

Top Bottom