What's new

Simpson Berkeley is shedding

I haven't used this brush in at least two years, so it has been on my shelf looking pretty. I decided to start using it again and for the past 5 lathers or so, I have noticed like 10 hairs in the bowl (or hand when I lather on my hand). I am sure there is nothing that can be done, but it is a bummer :(

IMG_3437.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3438.jpeg
    IMG_3438.jpeg
    891.5 KB · Views: 23

linty1

My wallet cries.
If you liked the knit that was in the berkely you could send it back to Simpsons for a reknot, I recently had one done (I went back to Simpsons for the knot as that was one I specifically wanted to try) and the price was very reasonable, even in their super grade.

Looks like it's time for a nice soak in diluted vinegar. Give it a good (gentle) combing afterwards.

Can you elaborate on this?
Sure. I had travelled with the brush in a travel tube each way. When I returned it would shed 5-10 hairs every time I used it. I figured it must have had soap dried in the knot. Since I had nothing to lose I tried this cleaner from Classic Shaving. It seems to have corrected the problem because I’ve only lost a hair of two since cleaning it over a month ago.
full

Most shedding reports are usually associated with traveling, which is typically a harsh environment for a Badger shaving brush

I had a Berkeley that did the same thing. Frequent international travel, storing damp in a plastic tube, and hotel’s too hot water were a bad combination.

Now, I don’t use plastic tubes anymore. I carry my Simpson’s brushes in their own carton box. Also, I don’t use hot water anymore. No problems so far and I even travel with my expensive Manchurian Badger brushes (they dry quicker than best or super grades)

Most shedding reports are usually associated with traveling, which is typically a harsh environment for a Badger shaving brush

I had a Berkeley that did the same thing. Frequent international travel, storing damp in a plastic tube, and hotel’s too hot water were a bad combination.

Now, I don’t use plastic tubes anymore. I carry my Simpson’s brushes in their own carton box. Also, I don’t use hot water anymore. No problems so far and I even travel with my expensive Manchurian Badger brushes (they dry quicker than best or super grades)
I hit them with the blow drier before putting them in the tube if the last day. Gentle heat.

Reactions: Kix
I hit them with the blow drier before putting them in the tube if the last day. Gentle heat.
It's one way to make it dry quickly. Just need to be careful because the blow drier's may melt the knot's glue, and there will be no combing and cleaning that will solve this. Better to use min temperature

It's one way to make it dry quickly. Just need to be careful because the blow drier's may melt the knot's glue, and there will be no combing and cleaning that will solve this. Better to use min temperature
Agreed. A medium heat and not too close. Gets ‘em dry in a couple of minutes.

If you liked the knit that was in the berkely you could send it back to Simpsons for a reknot, I recently had one done (I went back to Simpsons for the knot as that was one I specifically wanted to try) and the price was very reasonable, even in their super grade.
I’d be interested to know the cost of a reknot in relation to the cost of a new brush. I’ve always assumed that the money was in the knot not the handle.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I’d be interested to know the cost of a reknot in relation to the cost of a new brush. I’ve always assumed that the money was in the knot not the handle.
Simpson handles are hand made by craftsmen and women in the UK who receive a fair wage and employment benefits. I suspect the proportion of cost in the handle for a Simpson brush is significantly higher than for some other brushes. I believe @linty1 said the reknot with a Super knot, and handle refurbishment was £50 which seems like a bargain.

Simpson handles are hand made by craftsmen and women in the UK who receive a fair wage and employment benefits. I suspect the proportion of cost in the handle for a Simpson brush is significantly higher than for some other brushes. I believe @linty1 said the reknot with a Super knot, and handle refurbishment was £50 which seems like a bargain.
Yeah that sounds like a fair discount. I knew that the knots were hand tied in the UK but assumed that the process for the handles would be automated. The handles on the Best brushes must be worth more than the knot in that case.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Yeah that sounds like a fair discount. I didn’t realise they were hand made. I assumed that process would be automated. The handles on the Best brushes must be would be worth more than the knot in that case.
Well, it is debatable what 'hand made' actually means - I suspect the rod is loaded into a CNC machine and handles emerge out of the other end before polishing etc. Simpson knots are described as 'hand tied' which is also odd - every natural knot in every brush by every maker is presumably hand tied, how else could they be tied? The question is 'hand tied by whom?'. For Simpson the knots are hand tied by a skilled person in the Isle Of Man, for some others they are hand tied by a skilled person in China. I could be very wrong here.

Last edited:

I forgot to mention using hot water. I was soaking them before the shave in hot water too high on the knot. At the time I cleaned all of my brushes I also went to a warm water soak making sure the water level in the cup is well below the knot.

I was watching a video on youtube showing Simpson making the knots. They would place individual hairs (in bundles) onto a weight scale, then once reached a certain weight (depending on the type of handle), they would then grab the hairs off of the scale, tie them together and dip them onto some type of table-mounted glue applicator with lots of bumps on that would create the glue/epoxy to hold the knots together.

Last edited:
Top Bottom