What's new

Simpson badger brush to replace Omega 11047?

Any reason to take 2-band super over Manchurian?

What don't you like about Manchurian? Would that apply to 2-band super as well?
I've not tried Manchurian, but i have a Duke 3 in 2 band super and its a pretty incredible brush and does everything just right for me. I believe the Manchurian will have slightly thicker hairs than the silvertip and will likely feel "scrubbier" with greater backbone compared to the super. With super, you'll have a more luxurious, softer face feel, easier splay, and probably a little less backbone compared to Manchurian. I doubt you can wrong wrong with either brush, but you'll have to know exactly what feeling you're after to decide. The Manchurian will probably cost a bit more than the super.

I also enjoy my Duke 3 in Best quite a bit- very different hair than 2 band super, but soft/scrubbier and less backbone. Still a great brush.

I'm also curious if anyone has thoughts on the Classic 1 and 2? They seem quite similar to the Dukes, though the slightly lower loft might mean a bit more backbone? Or is that not so?
Took a quick comparison photo for size comparing the Duke 3 handle with the Classic 1. The knots are pretty different from what you're looking at though. I can snap a photo of my Classic compared to a Duke 2 later if you want.

I have not tried a Duke 3 in best but the knot in the Duke 2 best feels considerably larger than my Classic 1, although my Classic is in 2-band which the knots tend to feel a little smaller. I've read that the Classics in best knots feel larger and are denser.
duke classic.jpg

I own only 1 Simpson Manchurian, a Chubby 2. It is a backbone monster with more scritch than I would prefer. Similar to Shavemac D01 2 band. I own a Chubby 2 in Best and Super and like them considerably more than the Manchurian.

I own 3 Simpsons in 2 band Super (Silvertip). A Rover, Eagle and Chubby 3. Each of these have good backbone and zero scritch. I greatly enjoy these brushes.

So, (to answer your actual question) no, my feelings regarding Manchurian don't apply to 2 band Super (Silvertip).

The craigslist guy who was possibly selling Rooney hasn't gotten back to me, so I will probably pull the trigger on a Duke 2 soon, then I can upgrade to 2-band super or Manchurian if/when it seems worth it. I am taking a close look at the Duke 3 in 2-band super because it's limited edition.

Any reason to take 2-band super over Manchurian?

I'm also curious if anyone has thoughts on the Classic 1 and 2? They seem quite similar to the Dukes, though the slightly lower loft might mean a bit more backbone? Or is that not so?

Knot diameter x loft (mm) for reference:
Chubby 1 - 22 x 46
Classic 1 - 21 x 43
Classic 2 - 23 x 44
Duke 2 - 21 x 44
Duke 3 - 23 x 46
The 2 band Silvertip has a softer face feel, I have had Manchurian and sold they

I agree with the suggestions for a Duke 3. The best badger is also a good option to try out. I have this brush in both Manchurian and Best.

I also own a Duke 2, but I prefer the slightly larger size of the Duke 3. I plan to try it out in 2-band Silvertip at some point. It’s probably my favorite hand and knot size from Simpson.

There is a difference in knot size between the Duke 3 in Best and 2 band super. The best hair will bloom out make the knot feel and look much larger than it really is. Someone that likes a more compact knot should go with the Duke 3 in 2 band or the HMW Manchurian hair. If you prefer Best hair and smaller knots then go with the smaller sizes Duke because that hair will bloom considerably. The smaller Duke in 2 band would be quite a small brush..

I've been face lathering with an Omega 11047 for a few years. It has started losing multiple hairs per shave so I think it's time to finally upgrade, and I've had my eye on Simpson badger brushes for a while. I would like something slightly larger, and with a denser knot so I don't have to reload the brush as much. Based on recommendations from other threads I've been looking at smaller Chubbies, Dukes, and Classics. Oh and the handle must be faux ivory. These are the options I found on the Simpson website:

Chubby 1 - best, 3-band super, manchurian
Chubby 2 - 3-band super, 2-band super, manchurian
Classic 1 - best
Classic 2 - best
Duke 1 - best
Duke 2 - best

Some have reported that Cubbies are lather hogs and can take over 24 hours to dry. So I wonder if certain hairs or other models are less likely to have that issue? I currently use Proraso soap and intend to keep using soaps exclusively, if that matters. Do any of the brushes above seem like a match for me? Would you suggest something different?

And is there any hope that they would make a smaller Duke or Classic in a higher end hair? I have read mixed things about best.

Cheers.
To begin with I love Simpson best badger hair. I find it plenty soft enough and in the Classic and Duke offerings plenty of backbone for face lathering. I own a Classic 2, Duke 2 (2), and Duke 3. What I really enjoy the most with these brushes is the flow through. These brushes look small, but every one of them will hold and release more than enough lather for 3 full passes. The Classic 2 and the Duke 2 size look almost identical with the Classic 2 being a little denser. The Duke 3 is somewhat larger and also a wonderful brush.

My suggestion to you would be go to Amazon and google Simpson Duke 2. They are offering this brush for $47.25. That price is less than half of the retail price for that brush. That will get you started with a great Simpson brush at a truly remarkable price.

Note: I wouldn’t delay because I believe they only have 17 left.

Damn how did I forget to search Amazon. Paid $100 for a Duke 2 which arrived yesterday.

Just had my first shave with it and I'm quite happy. It retains more lather than the Omega and I had to reload a couple times, but I think I could load it up a lot more before the first pass. And the quality of the shave was noticeably better! I was able to get closer than usual without cutting myself.

I was initially surprised by how small it looked, but it splayed out and looks noticeably larger than the Omega now. While shaving, the area covered by the brush was a bit less than the Omega, maybe because it's brand new.

Thanks for the guidance everyone! I consider this a success.

Top Bottom