What's new

Simpson badger brush to replace Omega 11047?

I've been face lathering with an Omega 11047 for a few years. It has started losing multiple hairs per shave so I think it's time to finally upgrade, and I've had my eye on Simpson badger brushes for a while. I would like something slightly larger, and with a denser knot so I don't have to reload the brush as much. Based on recommendations from other threads I've been looking at smaller Chubbies, Dukes, and Classics. Oh and the handle must be faux ivory. These are the options I found on the Simpson website:

Chubby 1 - best, 3-band super, manchurian
Chubby 2 - 3-band super, 2-band super, manchurian
Classic 1 - best
Classic 2 - best
Duke 1 - best
Duke 2 - best

Some have reported that Cubbies are lather hogs and can take over 24 hours to dry. So I wonder if certain hairs or other models are less likely to have that issue? I currently use Proraso soap and intend to keep using soaps exclusively, if that matters. Do any of the brushes above seem like a match for me? Would you suggest something different?

And is there any hope that they would make a smaller Duke or Classic in a higher end hair? I have read mixed things about best.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Wow it took me a while to cope with the Mixed Midget. If you face lather and like the feeling from THAT brush than you should look for a Simpsons Pure grade.

Eagle G2
or
Special S1 Pure/Berkeley B46 Pure

For a mixed boar/badger brush like the 11047 have a look at Simpsons Vulfix brand models 403/404 mixed.

The scratchiness doesn't bother me too much but I could do without it LOL. I have some cheap badger brushes that I like the feel of more, but they don't have enough backbone. I'm going for all badger because I'd like to not have to soak it ahead of time.

The scratchiness doesn't bother me too much but I could do without it LOL. I have some cheap badger brushes that I like the feel of more, but they don't have enough backbone. I'm going for all badger because I'd like to not have to soak it ahead of time.
Badger needs a dip into water as well you can only forgo that with a synthetic brush that you can wet under the faucet. Strong backbone would go with Simpsons Manchurian which is also their most expensive one….

Zenith has a Manchurian line with ample backbone as well but at a much lower pricepoint.

What is your budget and is the 111047 your only brush?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If a Chubby 1 interests you then do not discount the Duke 3 as they are very similar in size. The Classic 1 is available in Manchurian on the Simpson site right now.

20220421_201229.jpg

20220421_174524.jpg

I just got a Simpson Berkeley that you may want to consider. It's a dense brush (much more dense than the Omega 11047) that may be to your liking, although it might be smaller than you're wanting right now. In terms of cost, it's an entry level brush as far as Simpsons go, but it doesn't feel entry level in any way.

Here's a size comparison for the Omega 11047 & Simpson Berkeley.
full

Regarding the Classic 1- killer knot but the handle is pretty tiny. I still love mine though. Hand cramp and all :D It's probably pretty similar to your Omega actually (just looked at a photo).

I liked the Duke 2 I bought my dad but prefer the knot on my Simpson Colonel a little better (very similar knot). Great brush though. I've used a Duke 3 in synthetic a ton and can wholeheartedly recommend that handle. A lot of guys here recommend the Duke 3.

I have no experience with a Chubby 1 in Super but I'll go ahead and recommend that brush just in case you choose it so I can live vicarious through you lol! Super grade is wonderful. But you can't go wrong with best badger.

I'm a huge fan of their pure grade but I don't recommend it because I know for a lot of guys it's not their cup of tea. I've given myself brush burn before.

Of all the brushes you listed, probably the CH2 in 2 band super is the nicest. I personally will not go smaller than a Duke 3- I think it's the perfect size for face lathering. The CH1 will work, too, if you lean more towards preferring smaller knots.

Much thanks for the input, everyone.

Badger needs a dip into water as well you can only forgo that with a synthetic brush that you can wet under the faucet. Strong backbone would go with Simpsons Manchurian which is also their most expensive one….

Zenith has a Manchurian line with ample backbone as well but at a much lower pricepoint.

What is your budget and is the 111047 your only brush?

I have a Semogue 620 and a Tweezerman Deluxe (I think). Haven't used them in a long time. I used to have a Whipped Dog 22mm silvertip but it was too floppy (even drilled an extra 10mm).

The Zeniths look like a great value but I don't see any that are similar to the smaller Simpsons I was looking at. I like the 2-band look but maybe I don't need the absolute strongest backbone if so many others find regular badger suitable for face lathering. IDK.

If a Chubby 1 interests you then do not discount the Duke 3 as they are very similar in size. The Classic 1 is available in Manchurian on the Simpson site right now.

Thanks for pointing this out... I just wrote down the knot diameter and loft for the ones I am considering and the Chubby 2 is definitely the outlier in terms of size. Maybe the size of the Chubby 2-3 is what causes the lather hogging and long drying times?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
From your list I would choose the Duke 2 as an economical first-try. If you like it then you can get something more spendy later. It should meet your every need and be a great introduction to Simpson brushes.

Keep it simple ... the Duke 2 is a fine brush.

Much thanks for the input, everyone.

I have a Semogue 620 and a Tweezerman Deluxe (I think). Haven't used them in a long time. I used to have a Whipped Dog 22mm silvertip but it was too floppy (even drilled an extra 10mm).

The Zeniths look like a great value but I don't see any that are similar to the smaller Simpsons I was looking at. I like the 2-band look but maybe I don't need the absolute strongest backbone if so many others find regular badger suitable for face lathering. IDK.

Thanks for pointing this out... I just wrote down the knot diameter and loft for the ones I am considering and the Chubby 2 is definitely the outlier in terms of size. Maybe the size of the Chubby 2-3 is what causes the lather hogging and long drying times?
Not to distract you from your Simpsons search and I really love my Commodore X1 in 2 Band (pic) but Semogue makes excellent Mixed knots and the Torga C3 at 22mm would fit your needs well…

AA6521B7-9E5A-4FC9-A308-1E8B813850EE.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
the Chubby 2 is definitely the outlier in terms of size. Maybe the size of the Chubby 2-3 is what causes the lather hogging and long drying times?
If the Chubby 2 is at the upper limit of knot size then another consideration is that Simpson often play fast and loose with knot sizes. The Chubby 2 and 3 brushes I have tried have all had knot diameters which were a few mm larger than advertised. My Chubby 1 and Duke 3 do not hog lather as much as my Chubby 2 Manchurian, perhaps because of the lower loft and slightly lower density. My Chubby 2 takes a lot longer to dry than my Chubby 1 or Duke 3 and it would take even longer in Super grade I suspect. For one brush I would choose the Duke 3 as the handle is more likely to suit more people. The Chubby 1 is a superb brush but some find the handle too small. Good luck 👍

Well, the thing with badgers is (IME) they are stiff but prickly, or soft but floppy, unless you get a 2-band. Best can make a nice compromise, but between the two I tend to reach for my 2-band more often, or my mixed badger-boar brushes.

If you’re used to a mixed midget I personally would give a long look to the Vulfix 404 Grosvenor mixed. (There’s an all-badger version too, so be careful ordering.) It’s low priced so low risk, and you get an ivory handle. Diamond Edge has them in stock.

I have mixed hair brushes that I made from ordering knots and vintage handles separately, so I’ve never had a 404 myself, though I know that those who have used them tend to like them.

My personal opinion based on what you have described and said is that you would be most happy with the Duke 2 in Best. I should point out that I don't think you would be disappointed in any of the options you have listed; except maybe for the Manchurian options....either you like Manchurian or you don't. I don't.

I love the Duke 3 in best. I don't have drying issues, but I'm in an arid region. The handle is very comfortable, the knot is dense and luxurious, and lather is abundant.

I've read mixed opinions in soaking before lathering, but I've found that running it under water and setting it on the counter for less than a minute is a good enough soak! I usually bowl lather with it. When I face lather, I soak it for a minute or two. Not sure if that makes a difference, but I thought I'd mention it.

It's not on your list, but it's close enough to throw the suggestion your way :)

Some great options on your list!

I have the Chubby 1, Duke 2 and Classic 2 all in best. I enjoy all three.

For what is worth, my current Simpsons also include 57 and Wee Scot in best as well as a tulip 2 and tulip 3 in super. I intend to keep all of these fine brushes!!

The craigslist guy who was possibly selling Rooney hasn't gotten back to me, so I will probably pull the trigger on a Duke 2 soon, then I can upgrade to 2-band super or Manchurian if/when it seems worth it. I am taking a close look at the Duke 3 in 2-band super because it's limited edition.

From what you are saying and if a Simpson’s Manchurian is in your budget, I would suggest a
Duke 3, 2 band Silvertip all the backbone you want and soft tips with a handle that is not to
large.

Any reason to take 2-band super over Manchurian?

My personal opinion based on what you have described and said is that you would be most happy with the Duke 2 in Best. I should point out that I don't think you would be disappointed in any of the options you have listed; except maybe for the Manchurian options....either you like Manchurian or you don't. I don't.

What don't you like about Manchurian? Would that apply to 2-band super as well?

I'm also curious if anyone has thoughts on the Classic 1 and 2? They seem quite similar to the Dukes, though the slightly lower loft might mean a bit more backbone? Or is that not so?

Knot diameter x loft (mm) for reference:
Chubby 1 - 22 x 46
Classic 1 - 21 x 43
Classic 2 - 23 x 44
Duke 2 - 21 x 44
Duke 3 - 23 x 46

Last edited:
Top Bottom