What's new

Simpson and Kent Synthetic Brushes

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Lots of interest in Simpson and Kent Synthetic Brushes lately. So let's see what we have around the Den:
20210224_140527~2.jpg

Kent Infinity Plus: 24mm x 55mm
Simpson Trafalgar T2: 26mm x 47mm
Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic: 28mm x 50mm
Simpson The Duke 3 Synthetic: 24mm x 48mm

Measurements are approximate, but pretty darn close.

I also have a Simpson Trafalgar T3 on the way and will add it to the group.

Please add your own contributions to this thread. I only ask that any submissions are for British Synthetic Brushes. :)

First shave with the Kent Infinity Plus to follow. :)

I have the following synthetics....

Simpson Trafalgar 1
Simpson Trafalgar 2
Simpson Classic
Simpson Chubby 2
Simpson M7

I will take a pic when I pull them all out.

Best by far is the M7 and the worst by far is the Classic. The Ch2 is a close second (best) and the Trafalgars are nice brushes but I greatly prefer the platinum bristles.

At over $50, the Classic is an embarrassment to the Simpson name at that price. I prefer my $15-20 Yaqis.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Charcoal Goods Brass Level 2 Gen 2
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (3)
Brush: Kent Infinity Plus
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: Reuzel Wood & Spice
Fragrance: Milton-Lloyd Essentials No 3 EdP Spray
20210224_141520~2.jpg

The Kent Infinity Plus is an interesting brush. Loads easily. Builds a really nice lather. Splays easily. Can face or bowl lather. When I mash it, it has a bit more 'scritch' than most of my synthetics. Need a couple more shaves to focus and finalize my impressions. :cool:

Last edited:
I'm not in the market for a synthetic at the moment but I'm very interested to learn more about the Simpson synthetics given that I'm a Muhle Silvertip Fiber and Shavemac synthetic user. I like both of them very much but if I could find a synthetic with even more backbone I'd be all over that.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I'm not in the market for a synthetic at the moment but I'm very interested to learn more about the Simpson synthetics given that I'm a Muhle Silvertip Fiber and Shavemac synthetic user. I like both of them very much but if I could find a synthetic with even more backbone I'd be all over that.
It might be worth trying. I found the price point on the t3 very reasonable.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

The Mühle STF knot is one of my favorite synthetics. :)

I have no synthetics in my brush collection. I do really like the handle on the Kent. The Thater synthetic I may pick up later this year But I actually have to thin the herd.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210225_212746~2.jpg

Razor: Ikon B1 Standard (Timeless Ti TRH8 Handle)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (4)
Brush: Simpson The Duke 3 Synthetic
Aftershave: Brut Classic

The Duke 3 Synthetic is a very good synthetic brush. Soft tips. Some backbone. No 'scritch'. Medium splay. Can be used for face or bowl lathering. Overall, a balanced performer. :thumbup:

The Simpson Duke 3 that I have has far more backbone than my EJ STF v2 (Muhle knot). The EJ was my only brush for several years and is still a favorite. The Duke 3 fibers are stiffer and the loft shorter, making for a very backboned synthetic.

The Simpson Duke 3 that I have has far more backbone than my EJ STF v2 (Muhle knot). The EJ was my only brush for several years and is still a favorite. The Duke 3 fibers are stiffer and the loft shorter, making for a very backboned synthetic.

Good to know. The Duke 3 will be near or at the top of the list next time sbad strikes.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (2)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T2
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's El Dorado
20210226_153226~2.jpg

The Simpson Trafalgar T2 Synthetic is a good brush. Soft tips. Good splay. Can be used for face or bowl lathering. Not bad at all. :) :thumbup:

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (2)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T2
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's El Dorado
View attachment 1228900
The Simpson Trafalgar T2 Synthetic is a good brush. Soft tips. Good splay. Can be used for face or bowl lathering. Not bad at all. :) :thumbup:

Curious to know how the Trafalgar synthetic compares to the Duke 3 synthetic. That is if you have enough time with them both to make comparisons right now.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Curious to know how the Trafalgar synthetic compares to the Duke 3 synthetic. That is if you have enough time with them both to make comparisons right now.

Simpson Trafalgar T2: 26mm x 47mm
Simpson The Duke 3 Synthetic: 24mm x 48mm

They are both very good brushes that get the lather on my face in a competent and workmanlike manner.

The Duke 3 Synthetic has a denser, more cushioning knot with more backbone.

The T2 seems to splay a bit more readily.

I could live with either brush.

If price is a consideration, the T2 is ~1/3 the price of The Duke.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom