What's new

Simpson 57 or 58 with best badger knot

Hey guys - I am trying to decide between the Simpson 57 or 58 brush with the best badger knot. I enjoy bowl and face lathering and appreciate a brush with decent backbone which is not floppy. For those of you who are familiar with these brushes, what are your recommendations and why? Thanks!

Hey guys - I am trying to decide between the Simpson 57 or 58 brush with the best badger knot. I enjoy bowl and face lathering and appreciate a brush with decent backbone which is not floppy. For those of you who are familiar with these brushes, what are your recommendations and why? Thanks!
If you are looking for a real good backbone I advise to take a look to Case C1 best badger

1636722875196.png

Loft and Knot ratio provides very good backbone.
1636722949906.png

casec1.jpeg

If you like a longer handle for bowl lathering like the 50ies series then the Commodore X3 with a 24/46 knot should give you more backbone than the 58 (23/48) and it’s cheaper as well.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
If I didn't already have eleventy hundred and sixty one Simpsons' brushes I'd buy myself a 57 in Best. I love the styling, the handle looks comfortable, and the knot is a great size. I think @BigJ owns and enjoys a 57. Perhaps he'll weigh in.

If I didn't already have eleventy hundred and sixty one Simpsons' brushes I'd buy myself a 57 in Best. I love the styling, the handle looks comfortable, and the knot is a great size. I think @BigJ owns and enjoys a 57. Perhaps he'll weigh in.

One of my absolute favorites!! For me the 57 is a ‘Goldilocks‘ brush.:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

I once had a 56 which was a wee bit to small. My guess is that the 58 would be a wee bit too large.

If you like a longer handle for bowl lathering like the 50ies series then the Commodore X3 with a 24/46 knot should give you more backbone than the 58 (23/48) and it’s cheaper as well.
A 24/46 knot would be good, but most of the online vendors have the specs at 24/50. I realize there is variation since they are hand made, but 4 mm difference in loft is substantial. Does anyone know if they are sold in both sizes, or is it just a roll of the dice as to what size you get? Thanks

A 24/46 knot would be good, but most of the online vendors have the specs at 24/50. I realize there is variation since they are hand made, but 4 mm difference in loft is substantial. Does anyone know if they are sold in both sizes, or is it just a roll of the dice as to what size you get? Thanks
I took the measurements from the Simpsons site but I have no clue how accurate they are in real life. I’ll look for my calipers and will measure my brushes tomorrow.

For what it's worth, I emailed Simpson about this and was told that the loft can vary as much as 3 mm due to the fact that they are hand-made, so I guess it's just a roll of the dice

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
For what it's worth, I emailed Simpson about this and was told that the loft can vary as much as 3 mm due to the fact that they are hand-made, so I guess it's just a roll of the dice
Interesting, @It's Hedley was told by Simpson that they have a plus or minus 5mm tolerance on loft. I assume that tolerances will be greater on those brushes which have a larger declared loft. So, It seems there are variances even in Simpson variances. I am not surprised in the least. 🤣

So, It seems there are variances even in Simpson variances.
I think this is a perfect way of putting it!

I am a huge Simpson fan (own over 20) and have been lucky enough not to have got any weird variations, but the whole “it’s a handmade product and therefore specs may vary” is BS IMO. Likely not that difficult to ensure a loft is exact regardless of the manufacturing process. My $0.02 in any case…

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
You want some Simpsons loft variation? These are Eagle G3s in Super. No special order; they are said to be identical knots. The ivory brush feels like a Chubby 1 in Best- dense and scrubby. The jade version is much more typical of Simpsons' Super.

G3 2.jpeg
G3 super 2.jpeg

Top Bottom