What's new

Simpson 50 series brushes

Any fellow Simpson 50 series devotees out there? I found the handles on this "lesser known" series of top quality hand-made British shaving brushes to be absolutely superb! And the Simpson best badger knot is richly dense, with plenty of backbone, and oh soooo soft! I went for the 56 -- right in the "sweet spot" size for this new face lathering wet shaver!

Tell us what Simpson 50 series brush you use and what you love about it.
IMG_20191008_140749_510.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought a 58 on the bst and have sent it to Shavemac to have a 2-band silvertip knot put in. The 58 handle is stunning and a pleasure to use. The best knot, while soft, had no backbone.

I have a 59 and the handle is a perfect fit both in size and ergonomics for my big hands. As for the knot I think it has wonderful density - dense but not to dense - and perfect shape for bowl lathering though I usually face lather.

When on the face if I sort of point (using only the tips) rather than sweep to get the knot blooming and never find myself disappointed with the results. Alas with so many tailored face lathering brushes out there mine doesn’t see a lot of action.

While I have never tried a polo series brush I suspect that the 50 series is an extension downward in size similar to the way the classic series is to the chubby.

Are the numbers related to the sizes of the brushes? How much difference is there in size between a 56 and a 46?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Are the numbers related to the sizes of the brushes? How much difference is there in size between a 56 and a 46?

Lak611, the numbers in the Simpson 50 series (55, 56, 57, 58, and 59) are indeed "related" to their size in progressive order, although the numbers themselves do not specify any particular measurable parameter of the brush. Simpson makes all of the 50 series brushes in Best Badger only. The 46 "Berkeley" is produced in one size only but is available in Pure and Best Badger. The 46 Berkeley was most definitely in my line-up of top contenders when I made my first and only (to date) brush selection. Size wise (overall handle and loft), the 46 fell right in between the 55 and 56; however, I found the knots on the 50 series brushes to be noticeably more densely packed and thus had more back bone, water holding capacity, and yet the tips were (are) elegantly soft by comparison. For the money, the 46 Berkeley in Best Badger is probably the better value at roughly half the price of the 56, but the 56 (and the 50 series in general) just felt like higher quality brushes. Moreover, the 50's handles are simply in a class by themselves unique to the series. Cheers!

Love my 57!! It is one lovely brush!

Thanks for sharing, BigJ!

I must say, it was a real toss-up between the 56 and 57 for me. The 55 was too small and the 58 & 59 are a substantial jump in the other direction. Out of ALL the brushes I was considering for my 1st wet shaving brush, my final selection really came down to the Simpson 56 & 57! Obviously a personal preference, but the 56 handle (being just a tad smaller in diameter) and the knot loft (being just a skosh shorter) seemed spot on for me! Simpson's more popular "big brass" series (Chubby, Duke, Colonel, Commodore, Polo...) all seemed exceptional too,... but I just fell in love with the 50 series, and you know obsessed one gets when in love!

Got to pick up a Wee Scot some day (perhaps in Silver-tip) just for the sake of having one! I'm sure I will actually love using it too!

Cheers!

I would love to add a 55 to my collection. I don't like handles taller than 45mm, so it is the only one that fits the bill in the 50s range.

I wish the price was a bit lower, as you can get the same knot and handle size from a Berkeley 46 that costs almost half!

It seems Simpsons has been struggling for a while. Wouldn't surprise me if their quality control suffers.

Oh my, I sure hope they can maintain the long-standing tradition of fine hand-made shaving brushes. Hopefully, their incorporation into the Progress Vulfix - Perma Brands group will provide them the foundation and support needed to sustain without compromise.

Oh my, I sure hope they can maintain the long-standing tradition of fine hand-made shaving brushes. Hopefully, their incorporation into the Progress Vulfix - Perma Brands group will provide them the foundation and support needed to sustain without compromise.

Maybe they'd sell for the right price...

Lak611, the numbers in the Simpson 50 series (55, 56, 57, 58, and 59) are indeed "related" to their size in progressive order, although the numbers themselves do not specify any particular measurable parameter of the brush. Simpson makes all of the 50 series brushes in Best Badger only. The 46 "Berkeley" is produced in one size only but is available in Pure and Best Badger. The 46 Berkeley was most definitely in my line-up of top contenders when I made my first and only (to date) brush selection. Size wise (overall handle and loft), the 46 fell right in between the 55 and 56; however, I found the knots on the 50 series brushes to be noticeably more densely packed and thus had more back bone, water holding capacity, and yet the tips were (are) elegantly soft by comparison. For the money, the 46 Berkeley in Best Badger is probably the better value at roughly half the price of the 56, but the 56 (and the 50 series in general) just felt like higher quality brushes. Moreover, the 50's handles are simply in a class by themselves unique to the series. Cheers!

Thanks so much for the explanation. I'll keep that in mind if I decide to get another Simpsons brush.

Just checked my Chubby, Classic, milk churn, chubby 2 in Best Badger and all of them have as much or more black tips than the one pictured.

They are still really soft with zero scritchy and a lovely scrub. In fact, the Chubby 1 in Best is softer than my Super Badger version, so not sure I follow the “bad” comments in this thread. Certainly I don’t agree with them

Simpsons Best Badger is incredibly good and recent batches are even more so based on my experience.

Last edited:
Just checked my Chubby, Classic, milk churn, chubby 2 in Best Badger and all of them have as much or more black tips than the one pictured.

They are still really soft with zero scritchy and a lovely scrub. In fact, the Chubby 1 in Best is softer than my Super Badger version, so not sure I follow the “bad” comments in this thread. Certainly I don’t agree with them

Simpsons Best Badger is incredibly good and recent batches are even more so based on my experience.

Respectfully, what "bad" comments are there in this thread?

I have experienced the same thing with the Simpson Best. The few black hairs are not at all pokey.

When Simpson QC let's things down and you get a Best brush that looks and feels like a Pure, that's when one questions the Simpson brand!

Otherwise, the Best grade is my favorite badger hair and the Commodore X2 my favorite badger brush.

The 56 looks wonderful and has gone on my wishlist.

The trouble with Best is that most often it’s the only choice available. The Super, two band Silvertip and Manchurian offerings are extremely limited. There are not many styles to choose from in these grades and that’s a shame.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The trouble with Best is that most often it’s the only choice available. The Super, two band Silvertip and Manchurian offerings are extremely limited. There are not many styles to choose from in these grades and that’s a shame.

What's Best (meme).png

Just counting my blessings.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom