What's new

Simpson 2 band vs 3 band

I'm sure Simpson would never bleach their badger hair to misrepresent the knot.
that said, I have several Simpsons brushes, including two in Super Badger and my favorite is a Classic 1 in 2-band silvertip. I'd love a Duke 2 or Classic 2 in 2-band also. The backbone of the 2-band is the sweet spot for me. I have two Thaters in 2-band silvertip in bulb knots, also excellent. My Semogue SOC 2-band has great backbone but I don't know if it's sivertip. Apparently all 2-bands are not considered silvertip?

Razors like Tradere or Weber come to mind. When in production, they were average products, but now people sell their cars to buy them in the aftermarket

I wouldn't exactly say they were "average" products...artisan, all-steel razors were sort of a new thing back then, so they were a bit more special than nowadays, when everyone and their mother seems to be making CNC machined steel razors. That said, while they're definitely nice razors, I agree with you in that I don't really see why anybody bothers going out of their way to track them down when you've got all sorts of quality options these days. I like my 1st Gen Tradere, don't get me wrong, it's one of like 3 razors I use regularly, but I don't think I'd pay a premium for it with all the other high-end options for razors now.

I think this photo worked.

That's a beauty of a brush, my friend! Use it in good health!

I’ve not used any of the recent Simpson’s badger though they look excellent. I had about 20 Simpsons from the Somerset era - mostly lampblack stamped. I got these down to 4 or 5 keepers and other than a synthetic that I tried a year ago haven’t needed any more. The two nicest knots for my style of shaving (backbone and moderate scritch) are a two band T2 labeled as super and a two band CH1 labeled as Manchurian (Simpson labeled a few this way and a few as “extra super”). IMO, the older 2 band super with the thick hair not packed too dense are outstanding. I’ve had the thinner, softer super and it’s excellent if you like a softer knot. Best can be as good as super - hard to figure out how Simpsons selected it.

The end of the Somerset era was a mixed bag. QC issues, serious shedders and variability in handle shape and finish made it a risky buy. Vendors would somtimes offer to select a brush from inventory. If you got a good one it was amazing but the duds caused damage to Simpsons reputation for a couple of years. It seems as if Vulfix has done a great job of rebuilding the heritage and offering some creative new designs without losing sight of Simpsons special place in shaving history. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one if I needed more brushes.

Magnificent brush! Is it scrubby or soft? Did it need to break in much or was it soft out of the box?

It’s interesting to see how the handles slowly evolve over time

I bought it in 2005 but I don't recall breaking it in. It was soft out of the box. It a little scrubby but in a good way. It's just right! The information on the handle was never very dark. As you can see it looks faded but it was like that to begin with. I can barely make out the word Super and the number 3, if I stand in a sunny window and use a magnifying glass. I love the brush so the information on the handle is not that important. I like the way the new Simpsons are labeled.

As with most hobbies, the narrative is typically “vintage is better”, sort of a nostalgic thing I believe. But objectively speaking, it’s hard to see how 2005 farmed badgers would provide better hair than 2021 farmed badgers.

I’m not saying a Somerset Chubby is not a special brush, I’m saying that I don’t believe the Vulfix Chubby is anything less special. I fell to the narrative in the past, buying vintage 2-band Super Simpsons and other razors, and have not realized the expected additional benefits.

Razors like Tradere or Weber come to mind. When in production, they were average products, but now people sell their cars to buy them in the aftermarket

In fact, my favorite Simpsons is a 2018 Chubby 1 in Super. Now, that’s a special brush. Maybe in 2030 people will rave about it
Maybe in 2030 people will rave about it
== true//

well..I’m new in B&B but..kinda old Simpson customer. Use only Simpson brushes for ..uh..30 yrs now. yes..old era especially the CH1 & 2 had shading issues. Other than that 15 yrs ago Somerset era issues, Simpson brushes were and are awesome IMO.I like them , because they deliver what supposed to. Each kind of hair does what advertised to do..nothing more - nothing less. My latest Vulfix acquisitions are 3 CH2 in Manchurian 1 CH3 in Super (silvertip). Mark is an honest gentleman//took the time and personally helped me throughout anything I desired//

I would be shocked if Simpsons has ever bleached badger hair.

2 band is kinda really a two band anyways as the 3rd band is buried in the brush. A wider dark middle band as EclipseRedRing mentioned above makes the difference.

What is a Simpson Super?

My understanding it that a Super is what Simpson calls a Silvertip and that they can come in 2 or 3 band. My Chubby happens to be a 2 band, Silvertip. I also own a Kent BK12, 3 band Silvertip but the Simpson is much better. I think it's because the Chubby is a Chubby 3 so it has a denser brush. The Kent BK12 only comes in one version.

I believe a Simpson Super is a treated three band, probably a Best. I don't believe it is a Silvertip. The one loaned to me to try doesn't measure up to a Kent Silvertip for example.

sir, do you have evidence to support the belief? I own multiple Simpsons in both Best and Super and I don’t think you can treat Best to become Super. For instance, Super is thinner and more flexible, characteristics very likely to come from Mother Nature herself. Also, treated hair generally curls (gel tips), which is not the case with Simpsons Super.

I am confident Simpsons Super is what the Germans call Silvertip. It’s a superb hair, truly second to none IMHO

sir, do you have evidence to support the belief? I own multiple Simpsons in both Best and Super and I don’t think you can treat Best to become Super. For instance, Super is thinner and more flexible, characteristics very likely to come from Mother Nature herself. Also, treated hair generally curls (gel tips), which is not the case with Simpsons Super.

I am confident Simpsons Super is what the Germans call Silvertip. It’s a superb hair, truly second to none IMHO

I have not been impressed with any "super" brush I have owned or tried. To me, Simpson's super is better than their normal line, but doesn't live up to a Silvertip. I don't believe what Simpson calls a super is actually a Silvertip, I believe it is a lower level hair that has been treated. YMMV

My understanding it that a Super is what Simpson calls a Silvertip and that they can come in 2 or 3 band. My Chubby happens to be a 2 band, Silvertip. I also own a Kent BK12, 3 band Silvertip but the Simpson is much better. I think it's because the Chubby is a Chubby 3 so it has a denser brush. The Kent BK12 only comes in one version.

I prefer a lofty brush and I'm not impressed with the "chubby" style, as such I greatly prefer a Kent BK12 to a Simpson Chubby. YMMV

I have not been impressed with any "super" brush I have owned or tried. To me, Simpson's super is better than their normal line, but doesn't live up to a Silvertip. I don't believe what Simpson calls a super is actually a Silvertip, I believe it is a lower level hair that has been treated. YMMV

I haven't used a Super brush in quite a while, but from what I've read here, Simpson's Super is thinner in diameter than Best and less backbony, so, e.g., a Chubby in Super will be denser than a Chubby in Best. To me, that suggests a silvertip, not a Best that's been treated. Anyhow, I thought chemical treatment of knots was a relatively new thing (the whole "gel tip" craze), and Simpson's been selling Super for quite a long time. I'm a little curious in what ways you thought Simpson's Super didn't live up to being a silvertip...I've used some pretty awful silvertips in my time...not all silvertips are as pillowy as Kent.

I prefer a lofty brush and I'm not impressed with the "chubby" style, as such I greatly prefer a Kent BK12 to a Simpson Chubby. YMMV

I mean, there's your problem...Simpson's just isn't your style. It's possible you thought that the Super brush(es) you tried were coarser than they actually were because they're denser and shorter than you prefer, since that's sort of Simpson's signature style. No Simpson is ever going to be pillowy to the degree a Kent is...they're just made with a different goal in mind.

I haven't used a Super brush in quite a while, but from what I've read here, Simpson's Super is thinner in diameter than Best and less backbony, so, e.g., a Chubby in Super will be denser than a Chubby in Best. To me, that suggests a silvertip, not a Best that's been treated. Anyhow, I thought chemical treatment of knots was a relatively new thing (the whole "gel tip" craze), and Simpson's been selling Super for quite a long time. I'm a little curious in what ways you thought Simpson's Super didn't live up to being a silvertip...I've used some pretty awful silvertips in my time...not all silvertips are as pillowy as Kent.

I mean, there's your problem...Simpson's just isn't your style. It's possible you thought that the Super brush(es) you tried were coarser than they actually were because they're denser and shorter than you prefer, since that's sort of Simpson's signature style. No Simpson is ever going to be pillowy to the degree a Kent is...they're just made with a different goal in mind.

Tell us what you know, not what you think you have read here. Even if a knot is set deeper so there isn't as much loft, a high end Silvertip can still be pillowy, although perhaps not as much. Simpson super from my experience just isn't as nice as what I experience as a high end Silvertip.

It's not a problem, just a preference. If you like a Simpson super and it fits you needs and expectations that's wonderful. To me they don't live up to what I expect from a Silvertip.

Actually, what I was pointing out is that it is inaccurate to label all treated knots as something undesirable. It does improve the knot most of the time. It seems to be the over treated ones that are problematic.

I have a brush that was treated and it is a nice brush. How do I know it was treated? Instead of having badger funk to get rid of, it smelled like I was standing next to a patron getting a color treatment in a beauty salon. Just as can happen to a cosmetologist that let the process get away from them and cause hair damage, the same can happen to a badger knot.

Top Bottom