What's new

Simplified burr-based honing on a budget.

I just wanted to share my results from today's honing experiment.
I wanted to test the use of what I consider a simple setup to get a good edge on a budget.
My Dovo 5/8 was given a new test edge using the following equipment;

Shapton gs hr 6k.
Denim hanging strop loaded with simple metal polish
Balsa loaded with 0.1 micron CBN

The bevel was reset on the 6k using edge leading strokes. A burr was deliberately raised by ending with 10 edge trailing strokes.
This burr is visible without magnification, but will not be big enough to notice by feel.
IPC_2023-04-09.15.45.57.9580.jpg

The burr is now removed with the hanging denim strop loaded with metal polish. (50 strokes)
IPC_2023-04-09.15.47.43.1750.jpg

Finally the edge is given 100 strokes on the 0.1 micron balsa strop. No notiable difference was seen after 50 strokes.
The bevel has a mirror polish, and is passing the HHT. It is then stropped on leather before the shave.

IPC_2023-04-09.15.51.18.4100.jpg

20230409_160603.jpg

The edge was both comfortable and sharp enough.
This was just a test. Starting with an 8k stone, using the same method will probably give a little sharper edge. This will require more stones to be effective.
Something like an 4 to 8k would probably be ideal.
The edge will also improve with use, providing it is maintained on the balsa.

Last edited:
Just a little follow up side note.
The burr created at the 6k level with edge trailing strokes is visible by inspecting the edge under an overhead light source. You just need to catch the reflection along the bevel.
By doing this you don't need to do any HHT or other tests. You have a visual confirmation the bevel is set. You don't even need any magnification.

Edge trailing strokes maximise the potential of the stone by extending the edge a little.
The burr removing step needs to be performed using denim or another hanging fabric material. Using a more potent abrasive, like TI white paste or diamond spray would also work. Less passes would then be needed.
Check with the same visual check as in the previous step.
The abrasive material shouldn't be containing any waxy carrier. Only a small amount is needed, and it needs to be worked into the fabric.

This particular 6k is fast enough to remove material quite quickly. It also cuts quite shallow.
A factory bevel should not need much work.
The glass side of the stone can also be used as a flat surface to use with lapping film, or e.g. pasted nano cloth. The balsa would then be redundant, or optional.

I like this experiment. I'm kind of curious if the polish-loaded denim would be able to bridge the gap from a coarser bevel set-- say even 3k or 1k.

I like this experiment. I'm kind of curious if the polish-loaded denim would be able to bridge the gap from a coarser bevel set-- say even 3k or 1k.
I think that would be possible, at least from a good 3k edge.
It would probably need a little more steps on the balsa. So if you add 0.5, 0.25 and finish with 0.1 cbn/diamond it might be possible.
My last shave was surprisingly comfortable and sharp.
After 6k there is only a marginal change in apex width. Even the 0.1 micron cbn is able to get the edge quite far, and manage a large grit jump.

Here is one more attempt using a 1k shapton gs hr. The bevel is reset ending with 15 edge trailing strokes.
IPC_2023-04-10.18.03.19.9040.jpg

It is now stropped on the metal polish for 100 laps.
IPC_2023-04-10.18.08.32.0320.jpg

Because this is going from a coarse 1k edge, 100 strokes are added on the 0.5 micron loaded balsa, and 150 on the 0.1 micron balsa.
It is also stropped on clean leather.
The perpendicular striations are from the leather strop. So the remaining striation are not too deep. See also the DE blade as a comparison.

IPC_2023-04-10.18.34.41.6640.jpg

IPC_2023-04-10.18.39.23.3080.jpg

The edge is now ready to be shave tested. Going from a 1k is asking allot. I am quite confident this will be a shaving edge. Most coticule edges looks far worse then this under magnification.

Top Bottom